diy project: hand-stamped valentine kit

The one-week countdown to Valentine’s Day has begun, but I wouldn’t worry too much if you haven’t been preparing. There are tons of elaborate and expensive gifts out there, but you certainly don’t need to shell out a lot of money or time to pull together a sweet, thoughtful valentine. Anna Liesemeyer customized this cardboard picnic set with adorable chevron and arrow stamps that she hand-cut from old erasers. The cost of this project (not including whatever tasty treats you choose to stock inside) is close to zero, and the stamps could be made over a lunch break. The best part of this idea is its versatility; you could easily use these stamps for tons of great craft projects and gifts for all seasons. Thanks so much for sharing, Anna! — Kate

Have a DIY project you’d like to share? Shoot me an email with your images right here! (Low res, under 500k per image, please.)

Read the full how-to after the jump!

Time with loved ones is hard to come by these days. With the fast-paced beat of the world around us, it can be tough to find those extra minutes to focus on those who mean the most to you. I thought this would be an easy way to steal some time away, with fun personal touches added. Unpack this Wine & Cheese Party for Two in your living room, backyard or favorite local park, and you’ll have all you need for some time well spent with your loved one :) — Anna Liesemeyer

Materials

• pencil
  • cardstock
  • erasers
  • X-Acto knife
  • craft paint
  • cardboard wine canister and box (I found both at Hobby Lobby.)
  • 1/2–1 yard of fabric
  • handkerchiefs (used as napkins)
  • plates and glassware
  • snack (I chose some crackers and a wheel of cheese.)
  • bottle of wine
  • knife

Instructions

1. Draw your desired design on the erasers with a pencil.

2. Use an X-Acto knife to trace and cut the background (negative space) areas of your design. I used a flat-head-shaped blade, which helped with getting a clean cut. You can cut the areas about 1/8 inch deep.
3. Use your desired colors of craft paint and test your stamp on scrap paper.
4. Create your design in a repetitive pattern across the wine canister and picnic box. I wanted a herringbone effect and used contrasting colors. The possibilities are endless!
5. Cut a piece of cardstock to notecard size and stamp your pattern across the bottom. After your notecard dries, write your handwritten note (because a handmade/handwritten note speaks volumes).
6. After your picnic set is dry, pack your picnic! Grab your favorite bottle of wine and place it inside the canister, pack cheese that complements the wine, crackers, plastic plates, plastic wine glasses, a knife and napkins (I used two handkerchiefs), and wrap it all in a fabric piece inside your box. Stick your note inside. If you want to get really creative, add your iPod or a CD with a personalized playlist for background music. Cheers!

1. way cute! i made stamped valentine’s this year. getting obsessed with stamps.

2. Ashley Elrod says:

Fun. I made and stamped our wedding invitations to save from printing in color. Now I want to make stamps for everything too

3. Corrie Anne says:

That’s pretty adorable. I love picnics!

4. Molly Boyle says:

Love this! What a great idea to personalize a gift for a loved one!!!!!!

5. Erin says:

I have been trying to find those kraft suitcase boxes for a similar project, and I cannot find them anywhere in store or online. Can anyone tell me if they have had success finding them, and if so, where?

Thanks!

6. Michaela says:

Aw, Anna is great and so creative!! I love this little project. Such a great way to customize stamps.

7. Sweet, thoughtful & a great gift idea for spending time together -the best gift of all! Fun!! Thanks for sharing!

8. Jude says:

Will you stop going on about Valentine’s Day……;)

9. Anna @ IHOD says:

Thank you so much for having me! So happy to share a project here on Design*Sponge! Quite an honor!
    :) Anna

10. Miss Milky says:

Very very cute :-) I’ll try to do something …thank you for posting!
    Miss Milky

11. love this!!! love anna she is so super talented!

12. It’s so refreshing to find a cute, do-able DIY project! And I love the opportunity to be thoughtful for your valentine! Thanks for the ideas.

13. nyakio says:

I’m off to blink to get me some supplies!!

14. GawgusThings says:

The simplest ideas really are always the best!

15. I just love Anna and her DIYs! So talented! Great feature :)

16. This is great. I never thought about making stamps out of erasers but it seems really easy. And who says you need a valentine to make these? I might make them for my own desk! Nice work Anna