brigitte schuster

I love it when artists embrace the way a specific tool or medium can shape the style of their work. These beautiful calligraphy pieces were done by Brigitte Schuster, a graphic designer who specializes in typography and type design. As part of a calligraphy workshop she took with Denise Lach, Brigitte collected materials from nature to use as tools in her design process. Looking to create something imperfect, Brigitte worked with items such as a wood branch, a fir cone, seeds and even a stone to create unique letter shapes. I love how natural and organic these feel. They make me want to run to the art store and try my hand at creating my own, which is always a great sign. You can read more about Brigitte’s project and see more images right herexo, grace

More images after the jump . . .

Images above: Pipette and plant stem

Image above: Knife

Image above: Pinecone

Image above: Comb

1. stephanie says:

these are neat! her “N” is backward on the pinecone one. woops. :)

2. one of the most inspiring posts I have seen in a long time! this is one of those things I say I want to do, and actually will go through with.. thank you

3. Anjelica T says:

this is awesome! i’ve been obsessed with handwritten typography/calligraphy lately. i can’t even imagine how steady her hand must be to use these materials to get such neat, even letters. way to go, brigitte!

4. What a beautiful post! So creative. I love typography and it is so nice to see it continuously being pushed and the creative envelope being stretched. Thanks for sharing!

5. Bruce MacDougall - Halifax LPG says:

Outstanding stuff! Perfection through imperfection. Hi from the Letter Press Gang in Halifax.

6. Heather Joy says:

Very inspiring! I love seeing the combination of something so graphic with natural elements. Has me still thinking… ;)

7. Eileen says:

I did a series like this in design school in Switzerland in the 80s (ahem, ouch). Even made a brush out of some locks of curly hair from a friend. Note: human hair makes lousy brushes….

8. Katie says:

So perfectly imperfect! I love these!

9. Natsumi says:

This is really interesting! Typography is usually about being perfect so it’s wonderful to show type written beautifully with all its imperfections.

10. mags says:

I love them! She is very creative and effortless in her work.

11. Eva says: