For today’s second Before & After project, we’ve got a pair of modified wood furniture pieces: One has been given an aesthetic facelift, and the other has received a functional makeover. When it comes to wood furniture, I’m still a little sheepish about grabbing the paint bucket, mainly because I hate the laborious process of stripping furniture in case I change my mind. However, I’ve come around in a big way to natural wood/paint combos, particularly when there’s a smart geometric pattern involved. This dresser makeover from Patty is a great example of how a sharp, high-contrast design can turn a banged-up piece into the focal point of a room. The pattern is so lovely, and the warm wood pops wonderfully against the white. Nice work, Patty! — Kate
Read the full post after the jump!
Time: 2–3 weeknights
Cost: $30 for paint, paintbrush, tape, sandpaper and polyurethane (with a free hand-me-down dresser)
Basic Steps: Begin by sanding each drawer face well and wiping clean with a damp cloth. I found cutting out the cardboard “z” pattern and taping it onto the drawers helpful for picturing the final result. You could then either trace around the cardboard or lightly pencil a diagonal 1” grid directly onto the wood. Cut 2” and 5” sections of painter’s tape, and lay the sections down onto your grid to create a template. If you find the pattern is a bit finicky at first, make sure you have the Kat Webster link close at hand. Paint two to three coats of furniture-quality acrylic paint, letting dry fully in between. Carefully peel off the taped areas. I found them easier to peel if I lightly scored along the tape edges with a dull Olfa knife. This also ensured a clean edge once peeled. If needed, stain the exposed wood to match the rest of the dresser (for mine, this wasn’t necessary) using a steady hand and a 1/2” or 1” paintbrush, wiping up mistakes as you go. Finish with a coat of clear polyurethane to protect against wear and tear.
My advice when tackling the project would be to make sure you sand well! When you think you’ve sanded enough, sand for 1o more minutes. Good luck! — Patty
This second dresser makeover is simple but so smart and practical that I just had to share. Attractive TV consoles are few and far between, but unfortunately, they are often the only type of furniture that provides the right features for media storage — mainly ventilation, open access for remotes and holes for cords. Marti had the ingenious idea of modifying the front of a mid-century piece by adding an unobtrusive metal screen panel that allows for proper air flow for her media equipment. She cleverly kept the design simple and stained the frame to match. The result is a clean, minimal media center that doesn’t sacrifice form for functionality. Well done, Marti! — Kate
Time: 2–3 hours (plus drying time)
Cost: $5 for oak wood trim, $4 for hinges, $14 for metal snips and $20 for the metal screen (other supplies were on-hand)
Basic Steps: I applied one coat of stain before cutting the pieces and another coat once the frame was assembled. Then I used a miter box to cut the wood and then glued it to join the pieces into a frame that would serve as the door. I spray painted the metal screen black and cut it to fit the wood frame. It’s held in place with simple black thumbtacks.
The door is attached to the dresser with brass hinges that I spray painted black, and the door stays shut with a small magnet in the upper left corner. A power strip, modem, router, DVD player and Roku box are concealed behind the door. It’s a hot mess of cables and plastic and blinking lights that I am grateful to have hidden. My laptop lives in the drawer on the left; it’s plugged into the power strip, as well. Remote control laser beams pass through the screen with no problem. Victory! — Marti