before & after: garage studio

Our final Before & After today is a cleverly renovated garage space from photographer Natalie Wright. To create a space with plenty of light and room, as well as a healthy dose of personality, Natalie coated the walls in a crisp, reflective coat of white paint and turned salvaged materials like chicken wire, old doors and found milk crates into storage pieces. I love that she’s also added quirky elements like artwork and wall decor to warm up the studio. Nice work, Natalie! — Kate

Read the full post after the jump!

Time: About a week

Cost: $300

Basic Steps: My vision for the space was a place that inspired me creatively but was also very photography friendly. Most of the furniture is easy to move around. I also wanted table surfaces that could be used as props to photograph things on. I write for a few sites online and am always photographing products that I review. Just about everything on the walls and floors has been used in my photography.

Advice for others? Patience! I try to go out at least once a week to an antique store, surplus sale or yard sale. I have taken many friends with me to yard sales and antique stores. They burn out after a few weeks of only finding one or two things. It takes time to find a treasure, and it takes even more time to find one that is the right price! When scrounging for vintage or antique items, enjoy your outing just for the opportunity of getting out and trying something new. If you are looking to fill a certain space or need, the right piece will eventually come along. — Natalie

1. Ry Pepper says:

Oooh, all that lovely space. When can I move in?

2. James Viola says:

Wow there’s a lot of really creative ideas here. Love the teal backdrop. Good work!

3. I love before and after shots -and am totally jealous of such a cool studio! Love it!!

4. I like the before and after shots -love the idea of a home studio!

5. Jamie says:

Thanks for the encouragement about finding things! I do go out almost every week to thrift stores and antique stores and I always feel a little guilty, like I’m wasting time or other people wouldn’t get it. But then there are those times I find something incredible or I’m super inspired by something in the piles of junk, and I know its worthwhile.

6. Great post Kate! These awesome makeover is so good. It has really changed a lot and I can see a huge difference, Like its newer-looking than before. Nice!

7. Guadalupe says:

this is fantastic, I am in the midst of setting up my own studio and this is so inspiring! Could I ask what material you used for the backdrops? I am thinking of setting up something similar but am not sure what to use!

8. I could set up shop today! Such an amazing and inspiring space.
    I simply adore that drafting table – I’ve never seen anything quite like it!
    Beautiful work Natalie ;)

9. Georgina says:

pretty please before & after my apartment – such creative ideas! – Georgina xx http://beginningboutique.com.au/

10. Michelle says:

What a transformation! Love the storage boxes on the wall!

11. Unbelievable! Love everything about the reno! So warm and inviting!

12. Li says:

Really pretty space!

13. The old wooden drafting desk is lovely! Wonderful before and after!

14. julia says:

great space! we are remodeling our basement and i find this so inspirational (love the coke crates)

15. Libby says:

fantastic finds – what a great budget friendly makeover. I am so jealous of that antique drafting desk…I’m assuming a lucky thrift/yardsale find?

16. Vanessa says:

i like how this garage has been cleverly divided up into several work areas. great use of space and great makeover!

17. Lilibet says:

Great job, love the wall mounted crates as storage!

18. working on turning my basement into a studio space and there are a lot of good ideas here…the only-when-you-need-it photography space is genius. great job!

19. Linda Beam says:

WOW! Creative use of space and storage. Jealous!

20. Chez Us says:

I like the photo backdrops hanging from the ceiling. Where did you get that system? Thanks – Denise

21. Lovin’ the materials:))

22. Kate says:

Where did you find those old coke crakes!? i love the idea.

23. john shearer says:

My favorite are the wall mounted soda wood cases..the 7-Up is classic. I have sourced out one wooden box at a antique store here in Seattle.

24. Ronald says:

I love all your before and after shots for garage studio and its great that you have to shared the some good pics.