wildhorse press cards

At the end of every year when I go through my receipts and prepare for taxes, I’m always a little embarrassed to see a reminder of how frequently I buy cards. I tend to pick up cards and stockpile them away for possible use in the future. But mostly they’re my favorite sort of impulse buy- cute, inexpensive and handmade. These sweet cards are from one of my 2011 National Stationery Show favorites, Wildhorse Press. Designer Elizabeth Evans just released two new Valentine’s Day cards that are perfect for friends or loved ones, but I also really love the moving notices she created that make it easy to announce your new address to friends. All of Wildhorse Press’ work is available for sale online right here, prices range from $4.50 per card to $18 for sets. xo, grace

1. rebecca says:

what a great find! loving all their stuff on the website!x

2. lesley says:

i totally have a card fetish, too. these are so sweet! i love valentine’s cards the most i think.

3. rebekka says:

Those are the BEST!! I love the last one, so adorable!!!

4. Roberto says:

maybe I am a little bored of this style!

5. cl says:

Cute cards, though the tipi one makes me feel a little iffy (not to get off topic, but if you’re interested, this is a good blog that talks about issues of cultural appropriation of native communities: http://nativeappropriations.blogspot.com).

In any case, I would LOVE to give the locket card to a special someone!

6. Wengi says:

Considering how early Valentines promotion starts I have to wonder how anyone forgets Valentines Day. Walked past a dollar store last week and the entire front was filled with V-Day stuff. I said to myself, “Already? I’m still exhausted from Christmas”.

7. Jessica says:

That locket card is so sweet!

8. These are actually gorgeous! I think it’s a really great idea to stock up on cards for all occasions. I always seem to find myself making impulse buys at the last minute, which tend to be impersonal and not as pretty!

Maria xx

9. I am a card-a-holic too! They are like little, affordable works of art & inspiration!! Glad to know I’m not alone! Love that Valentine’s one!

10. So glad to see Elizabeth on the site!! I love her cards and also have them in the shop…. one of my faves. Great feature!!

11. I’m not trying to be a jerk, but I feel the first card depicts an offensive stereotype.
    I believe in speaking out when I see things like this.
    The other two are very cute.

1. Amy Azzarito says:

Hi Kitty –
      I actually disagree with you here. I don’t think this is an offensive use of the image of the teepee at all – in fact, I think the card shows the teepee in a positive light as a refuge against the elements and honors it as a home. From the Lakota to counterculturalists in the ’60s, the teepee is a part of the history of North America. (Wildhorse Press is based in Kansas and the city of Lawrence, Kansas actually has a 50 ft tall concrete teepee.) Obviously the subject of cultural appropriation is one that is hotly debated but I don’t see any offensive stereotypes represented here. Artists are often inspired by other cultures and that’s not necessary a negative thing. -Amy

12. Hi Amy,
    Thanks for taking the time to explain how you see it — interesting points.
    I can’t speak for Native Americans who may or may not be offended.
    It just jumped out at me as a little “iffy” as another person wrote above.