weekly wrap up + becca kallem

This has been an amazing week. It started with a dramatic kitten rescue and search to find her a home (we did!) and ended with a plane ride to Salt Lake City to join my friends on a book panel at Alt Summit. Tomorrow morning, I’m heading back to Brooklyn, but in the back of my mind, that little kitten face is still looking up at me. I couldn’t be happier that she has a new forever home, so furry friends are still foremost on my mind. As such, it’s only fitting to end the week with a story that combines three of my favorite things: flowers, furry animals and blasts from the past.

During the D*S book tour stop in DC, I was lucky enough to re-meet artist Becca Kallem. Becca and I actually went to William & Mary together and took some of the same classes with a rather infamous painting teacher. While I knew I would probably never be a fine artist, I remembered Becca’s work and was thrilled to see that she was still creating beautiful pieces and teaching art in the DC area. She has exhibited in galleries in DC and New York and has been fortunate to work with some very cool clients (like the Smithsonian Postal Museum) since we graduated. Today I’m excited to share some more of her work, which celebrates furry friends. Becca created a book called An Animal Compendium that features 90+ illustrations of animal characters, with a portion of proceeds benefitting the Washington Animal Rescue League. In light of the fact that this week was all about supporting and celebrating our animal friends, I couldn’t think of a better way to wrap things up. You can click here to see more of Becca’s work, here to see (and buy) An Animal Compendium and here to shop for prints on her Etsy shop.

Thank you again for your outpouring of support during our kitten rescue. And thank you most of all to Tuesday and Pete (below) who gave little Mischka (her new name!) a loving forever home. Here’s wishing you all a safe and happy weekend. See you Monday! xo, grace

More images of Becca’s work and a summary of this week’s highlights continue after the jump . . .

Below is a summary of this week’s highlights:

1. I love that painting of the dapper fox! And the photo of Mischka too! Wish I could have attended the Alt Conf. -would love to hear how it went! Have a great weekend!

2. Ann says:

Lovely work. And, YAY! Tuesday & Pete.

3. Angela says:

So happy you found your kitten such a wonderful home! Becca Kallem’s art is very inspiring, I love the combo of animals and flowers!

4. Oh the animal ones are really fascinating! It’s like Mr Fox is ready to speak to you and invite you for a tea at his place!! =)

5. Christina says:

Becca’s work is gorgeous. Lovely painting, wonderful color. Thank you for posting this. And hooray for Mischka!

6. That giraffe and rooster…so cute. Love the work

xoxo
    Janet

7. Jennifer says:

Thank you for introducing me to Becca’s work! I’m beening looking for some great prints to update my daughter’s room and these are the perfect fit!

8. Rose says:

I’m so glad to hear that the little kitty got a new home!! Have a great weekend.

9. Jae says:

Becca’s work is beautiful! I love the brushstrokes. Very nice!

10. Becca Kallem says:

Thanks so much to Grace for featuring my work, and thanks for all the kind comments above! As for the animals, I think my experience doing human portraits helps me capture a lot of character in an animal drawing. Not to mention how fun it is coming up with outfits/personalities for each one.

11. SuzyMcQ says:

I think you are deserving of a nice, quiet, warm and snuggly Sunday, Grace. Seriously, you pack more into a week than most do in a month. I volunteer with an animal rescue so I understand how draining and emotionally charged finding a home for an animal in need can be. You did a wonderful thing this week and are most deserving of a fantastic Sunday brunch and a day to kick back!

12. Lois says:

That kitty will never forget who rescued her….isn’t love grand!

13. Michelle says:

What beautiful colors capturing inspired and playful imagery! Thank you Becca, your creations are a delight. Tuesday and Pete: it warms my heart that you received Mischka into your home. Wonderful post!

14. I love Becca’s work too! Thanks for featuring such a talented and diverse artist!

15. These are such sophisticated yet bright and cheerful paintings – love the colors especially the pinks, reds and dash of lime green and teal. She’s a real talent!

16. Seale says:

So glad that Mishka found a home. I was praying for that. I myself have 9 rescue pets, 8 cats and one dog. I live in a rural place where people just dump them. Luckily I have a large piece of property. Kudos to you for finding Mishka a home and bless Pete for taking her.

17. KC says:

How wonderful of you to have found the little kitten a home! I just wanted to leave a comment regarding the kitten’s FIV status (I’m a vet). Most of the ‘in-hospital’ tests for FIV are testing levels of FIV antibodies (that is, the body’s way of fighting the virus) rather than testing for the virus itself. Young kittens may still have antibodies transferred from their mother’s milk (your kitty probably was with her mum when she was younger) so this little kitten may not actually be truly positive (just showing up positive with the antibodies). It’s worthwhile re-testing her at 6 months old to be 100% sure she has the virus. I 100% agree with your decision not to put her down at this stage. My fingers are crossed for her and I’m very glad she found a lovely home xo

18. bernardina says:

Becca’s work is no doubd a feast for the eye and my heart jumps for joy with the pic of Mishka and her cute owner. Pete’s smile is priceless and I can practically hear the sweet little kitty purrrrrring. Any chance Becca make her portrait? haha…

19. i love this work and total feast as your other comments have said.. now just one thing.. i have been told a uber neat work space is a person who creates in a very tight way.. please show some spaces that are a bit wild and unkempt.. i think it shows a different kind of creative process..thanks

20. Steph H says:

Beautiful artwork and beautiful story about the kitty–so glad she’ll be OK! Seems fitting Mishka should be included in this post given the artist’s affinity for animals.