the new d*s office: before (in 3D!)

Yesterday Amy and I picked up the keys to our very first D*S office. It was a pretty big moment for me, considering I’ve never had an office of my own that didn’t involve someone else being my boss. To have a place where I (along with Amy’s input, of course) can make my own decisions about everything (desks, tables, paint colors, layout) feels both overwhelming and amazing.

I’m going to take more official “before” pictures, but I wanted to share a few snaps inside the new, raw space. We’re getting ready to tear down the makeshift walls in the center of the room and by the front door (I hate dividing open space), but we came up with a few ideas we’re excited to DIY next week — primarily painting the floors and adding a little pattern where the painted wood meets the unpainted wood. (We’re also going to build floor-to-ceiling shelves on one wall with a rolling library ladder!) I’ll be sharing photos along the way, but I hope this rough glance at the initial space will give you an idea of where we’ll be calling home. Stay tuned; we’re going to have our first D*S event in here before Valentine’s Day. xo, grace

*I took the panoramic photos with my favorite new app, PhotoSynth. It’s far cooler on my phone because you can move the images and see them like a 3D video. There are 3D versions of both panoramas here and here if you can’t see them above.

1. Susan says:

Congratulations!! What an awesome space…I can’t wait to see what you both do with it!

2. Julie says:

congratulations to the both of you! such exciting times, can’t wait to see what you do with the place!

3. belinda says:

jealous! how awesome to have your own blank office space to make fantastic. and we all know it will be fantastic!

4. Sarah says:

That is wonderful! Well done!

5. lesley says:

girl. dream.come.true. you guys are going to whip that place into something magical. can’t wait to see it all come to fruition. congrats!!

6. Looking forward to seeing how you make use of the space.

7. linda Blackmore says:

A blank canvas! So exciting, and yet daunting as well!! A fun way to start the new year, and you’ve got all those ideas to use, steal, adapt…I am jealous, and so happy for you. You are my favorite email to open every day, and I miss you on the weekends. Congratulations!

8. Laura says:

Congratulations. Getting your own office space is such a big move!

9. Can’t wait to see it all unfold. COngrats, grace!

10. Hester says:

Very exciting start top 2012!

11. Congratulations! An exciting start to 2012 and I can’t wait to see how it turns out. Love the panoramic views, too.

12. Congratulations! What a gorgeous space!! Those windows – and the light….wow…perfect for getting creative! Have an absolute ball and it will be fantastic to get the vicarious pleasure of seeing it progress :)

13. Congratulations! Can’t wait to see what you do with it…

14. Melisa says:

Congratulations, Grace! What a fantastic start to the new year.

15. Jessica says:

What a milestone! Congratulations :)

16. Fabulous space Grace ;) Love your DIY ideas. Can’t wait to see the project come to life!

17. Cheers to D*S’s next chapter- congrats to you and the team :)

18. Michelle says:

Ohhh, I know that view. Such a rad building! Congrats!

19. caro montilla says:

congratulations!!! do you need an architect? http://www.dencity.us

1. Grace Bonney says:

caro

thanks, but that sort of service is out of our budget. :)

grace

20. This is amazing! I can’t imagine the excitement you must have felt getting those keys! I am so excited to see the transformation! What an amazing way to kick off the new year Grace! Congrats Grace & the entire D*S team!

21. susan says:

a fabulous space that you will work wonders with fodamsho.

ernest hemingway said ” courage is grace under pressure”. haha – you go girl!

22. Lisa says:

Can’t wait to see the AFTER shots. Congratulations!

23. Lisa says:

Can’t wait to see the AFTER pics. Congratulations!

24. tyler says:

Space! Congratulations, i know to well the drawbacks of working at home.

25. Super! ! This year is going to be amazing for you and Amy!!

26. Stacey says:

Wow, congratulations! I can hardly wait to see what you do with such an amazing looking space :)

27. altliae.com says:

Congrats on such an awesome phase of your business!

28. Tina Riddell says:

Happy day! Can’t wait to see how you transform this space into the perfect office for Design*Sponge. Wishing you both an exciting design journey.

29. So happy for you! Can’t wait to see what you do with the space!

30. Dorothee says:

How exciting Grace! We remember the first days of working on our office.. it was a sad little affair but with some love its our favorite little home in the city! Congrats and
    have fun!!!

31. Wow, congratulations! What an exciting step to have taken. I can’t wait to see what you clever things do with the space. xx

32. Holly says:

Congrats and can’t wait to see what you do with the space. I got your book for Christmas and have really been enjoying it so far.

33. Heather Joy says:

Grace & Amy ~ I couldn’t be more thrilled for you! Thanks for sharing all about the process too! It’s fun to learn along with you. :)

34. Matrjoschki says:

Congratulations! I’m looking forward to seeing the result.

greets

35. jdanyelle says:

Congratulations! It looks awesome. Cannot wait to see how it comes together. A great way to start the new year.

36. Elaine Ellis says:

Love the space!!! Also, a shout out for the 360Panorama app. It’s only 99 cents and I think the pictures display better and won’t require the readers to download Silverlight. You can see it here – http://blog.occipital.com/

37. Christine says:

Rolling library ladder = best idea ever. Now, if there were only a way to incorporate a tightly spiralled staircase leading up to a turret room.

38. Elisse says:

Looks awesome! Way to go!

39. Luli says:

I am so happy for you. Congratulations. Just reading your blog from the beginning to now, I know how hard you worked to get to where you are. Good job, ladies!!

40. inspir@lia says:

Yay! So excited to see what you guys do with you own space!

41. holly says:

Congratulations! can’t wait to see D*S office before & after soon !:)

42. White screen to draw your dreams. Congratulations! I will follow you with my best wishes for success. xox

43. Melissa S. says:

Beautiful! I love the big windows!

44. Maria Kellermann says:

This is awesome!!! I follow you in Google reader and you come up with the most interesting things that I have seen… I am so glad that you are succeeding…!! Best of wishes and I cannot wait to see the office finished :)

45. lua says:

Congratulations. So happy for you and the view is good; it spreads out and is inspiring.

As with the others, looking forward to seeing what you do with the space because it will be interesting. Wishing you well.

Maria, thanks for mentioning Google Reader, I need to look that up!

46. Jennifer says:

Its amazing what positive energy can bring to your life! I love the rolling library ladder idea, I’ve always wanted one! Cant wait to see your DIY so I can get some ideas. Congratulations, if you build it, they will come.

47. Karen says:

I’m so excited for you! A beautiful building with a fabulous blank slate for a wonderful office. I can’t wait to see what you do with it ~