sneak peek: parker gard + lauren bakst

Just six months ago, Lauren Bakst, a choreographer and performer who also works for BOMB magazine, and Parker Gard, who teaches media arts, makes short films and is a self-proclaimed DIY-er, moved into this Brooklyn apartment, their first home together. The couple chose the Kensington neighborhood of Brooklyn, an eclectic community filled with old Victorian homes and just a ten-minute walk from Prospect Park. They wanted the home to reflect the union of their two families, so it’s filled with antiques inherited from grandparents and hand-me-downs, all complemented with vintage finds. Thanks, Parker & Lauren! — Amy Azzarito

Image above: Our bed is the Architect Bed from Room and Board. The lights are antique reproductions of cage lights. The drawings above the bed we found at the Brooklyn Flea Market and are from an antique anatomy book. The cloud pillow on the bed is something my mother made for me when I was a child. The room was originally a dull grey, which made it dark, so we chose to paint with Chantilly Lace from Valspar to lighten it up.

Image above: I actually got this idea from Design*Sponge. (Ed. Note: The how-to is here, and if you like this look, check out Best of Luggage in Homes.) These bedside tables are from a vintage pair of blue suitcases. They are the perfect size and height and are amazing for storage. I chose to shellac the legs instead of staining them because I liked the color better. The images above the table showcase maps of places of family significance.

See more of Parker + Lauren’s Brooklyn home . . .

Image above: This is a brass acorn. No one knows what it is for, but I found it at a great shop called Rook Vintage in Windsor Terrace. The overhead light in our bedroom is pull string, and previously, had been just a string with no end on the pull. So I bought the beaded chain and super glued this acorn to it for a more unique-looking pull. (BTW, if anyone knows the history of the object, I’d be curious to know.)

Image above: The dresser is from Room and Board. The box on top is revamped from Ikea. And the yellow tin lamp is tin and was found in a Goodwill in Virginia years ago.

Image above: I had an old fruit crate that I used as a shelf when I lived alone. When Lauren and I were preparing to move in together, she very gently let me know that she was not a fan, and it would not be coming along to our new place. Not being one to waste, I decided to tear it apart and build a coffee table!

Image above: This is a view of our living room. It’s a good shot of the two antique chairs from my grandma. I made the curtains from some old flannel sheets Lauren’s mom gave us.

Image above: A better view of the rocker. The portrait is of my grandma when she was only 16. It has hung in every house I have lived in since I can remember and was the most treasured possession I inherited.

Image above: Also from my grandma, this vintage bar cart came complete with vintage party wear and drink glasses. I love that it rolls.

Image above: I have so many old photos and wanted to find a unique way to display them. I built these hanging shelves with spare wood, twine and antique hat hooks. They hang in the entrance hallway and each has a collection of old photos and memorabilia.

Image above: I’ve always wanted a lamp right above the bar for a classic look. I got the idea for this when I received old candle stick stands from my grandparents. I picked up the sconce at the Brooklyn Flea, and the rest at a lamp shop on Canal St.

Image above: I found a unique way to display old family Polaroids by using small binder clips interlocked into a chain. The shelf is from Crate and Barrel.

Image above: Our home is such a “home.” There is a beautiful garden out front and a lovely porch to gather on.

1. lauren c says:

so weird. i have the exact same rocket – and a portrait of my grandmother in said rocker. small world. lovely home – thanks for sharing.

2. emma says:

I really love their living room. and I get more jealous of you, the persons who visit all these wonderful homes, every time I see a new sneak peak here on the blog.

3. I love all the personal touches that really make this look like a home that people live in, and not just a catalog. The cloud pillow and portrait of his grandmother are especially lovely to me. Thanks for the tour!

4. Beautiful! I love this home. That suitcase side table rocks!!!

5. Hillary says:

Could the acorn possibly be a finial (from a curtain rod, newel post, etc)? I’ve seen a few acorn finials before. Might be from a Tudor Revival building?

6. LusterNYC says:

I think i’m in love with the yellow lamp!

7. I love the accessories! My favorite is the yellow Goodwill lamp!

8. Cheri says:

In regard to the acorn, I agree it could be a finial, but I was thinking it might have been for a lamp shade. Is it threaded for a screw on the end you hung it from?
    Alternatively does it open by chance? Acorn themes were very often used in antique sewing supplies such as thimble, needle or bodkin cases. Lastly I think it might just be exactly what you used it for, but it lost it’s chain before you got it. At any rate, it’s a really cute accent piece! Great idea of how to use it!

9. Krista says:

i have that same exact suitcase! hmm.. it seems it might need to be an end table now.

10. Andie says:

This is gorgeous, especially the bedroom! I also love that you didn’t say “The thing we love most about our home is the lighting” – I’m so sick of seeing that!

11. Debbie says:

Did anyone else notice that the first and last posts have the exact same white, puckered breadspread?

12. I have the EXACT same yellow lamp – actually, I have a pair! Same shade of yellow and everything. Purchased them at a yard sale last summer for a mere $2 each. I haven’t figured out which room to put them in yet so they’re on a dresser that sits in our upstairs hallway.

13. This home is FANTASTIC! Retro, quirky and still has a cosy feeling. I may take some of these tips next time I redecorate. Thanks

14. sherrie says:

Love the black & white (relief?) photo notecard of Lauren & Parker. Unique! Wondering where it came from.

15. romney says:

Has everyone got repurposed vintage luggage furniture these days? I swear this is the 10th interior I’ve seen recently with them in. I suppose it uses something you wouldn’t use for its original purpose. Ho hum.

16. Parker says:

Thanks everyone for commenting! So cool to find out more about the potential origin of the “acorn”. It’s also amazing that someone found the same yellow lamps, I love them so much! The black and white post card is something I made from a picture of Lauren and I before we moved to NYC. It’s just a silhouette that I cut out of black paper and mounted. Thanks again for all the comments and info!

17. Rebecca says:

I’d bet the acorn is a lamp weight. Kinda like the one on this restoration table lamp.

There are also ceiling lamps like that. :)

18. Kira says:

Love all of this!
    I have two questions:

How is the stringed instrument mounted/hung on the wall?

Is the acorn weighted? My first thought was that it’s a plumb-bob.

19. Lydia says:

Please tell me, HOW do you interlock the binder clips to hang photos? I am fooling around with some right now, and I can’t see how it’s done.

20. Parker says:

Hi there! Thanks for all the questions, they are great! The string instrument is hung by a piece of twine that is wrapped around the tuning pegs. It’s not very heavy, so that works and gives it a really clean but rustic look. And yes, the acorn is weighted! It’s quite heavy infact.

As far as how I interlocked the binder clips, you have to have one side of each folded down and then thread the flared ends onto each other. It’s hard to describe so I’ll post some pictures to my blog when I have a chance and link it here!

Thanks again all! Any other cool info or ideas, please keep sharing!

21. KT says:

Where did you find the legs for the suitcase side tables? Did you repurpose those as well or find them online?

22. MK says:

Giggle…Do you guys know what ‘rooted’ means in Australia!!!!

23. Eileen 2 says:

I like your simple clips holding the photos in a vertical line. Inexpensive and puts the focus directly on the photos. Easy to change out the photos. A breeze to hang. It also probably puts less marks or holes on the wall, too.

24. calvin says:

I must have that bedspread, where did you find it?

25. Andrew says:

Hi, Nice tactile object! Its a French curtain pull. Sometimes used as a blind-pull as well.

26. Elissa Fonseca says:

Black accents/furniture with a wood floor along with pale yellows and tiffany blue fabrics and paint lends itself to a retro look. The bright yellow lamp adds some zing! Fabulous!