sneak peek: jennifer sarkilahti of odette

When Jennifer Sarkilahti first launched her jewelry line, Odette, she worked out of this Williamsburg, Brooklyn apartment that she shares with her husband, Steve. It’s easy to see the connection between her jewelry — inspired by organic shapes, natural specimens and her travels — and this apartment; both are airy, organic and highly personal. The building is a fairly new construction, so Jennifer added some character by layering objects with a bit of patina and surrounding herself with natural pieces like driftwood, rocks and air plants. The apartment has become a catalog of the couple’s travels — a pillow and rug from Istanbul, a photograph taken in New Zealand — with each object carefully chosen as a reminder of an adventure. Thank you, Jennifer and Steve, and a big thank you to Lena Corwin for the styling and the lovely photographs. — Amy Azzarito

Image above: I made the piece hanging from the doorknob out of wool roving and feathers. It was in part inspired by Ashley Helvey’s beautiful wool dreamcatchers.

Image above: We only have enough space for a small round dining table, and this Saarinen reproduction fit perfectly. Behind the table is a painting of mine from my graduate thesis exhibition on the only wall large enough in our apartment to hang it.

The full home tour continues after the jump . . .

Image above: We brought the pillow on the right back from a trip to Istanbul. It’s made from an old kilim rug. I flipped through stacks and stacks of pillowcases in the Grand Bazaar before choosing this one.

Image above: This is my reading corner where I have morning coffee. We hung large mirrors on opposite sides of our window to brighten up the area.

Image above: My friend Nicolette is a floral designer and brought me this Staghorn Fern one day after I’d admired the one in her sneak peek. The teak sideboard is a hand-me-down from my parents. I love how it has finger holes for sliding open the doors. The record player is new, but we like to play old records. Our collection is pretty small, but I sneak a record or two out of my parents’ collection whenever I have the chance.

Image above: We bought the antique rug in Istanbul after being charmed by a rug dealer over Turkish tea. I tend to lean toward neutral things, but I love the colors in this rug.

Image above: We recently renovated the kitchen by tearing out the original black tile backsplash and replacing it with honed marble. It’s delicate, but it really brightens up our small kitchen. We received the Le Creuset Dutch oven as a wedding gift, and we use it so much it has a permanent home on our stovetop.

Image above: I hang my necklaces on the wall to keep them from tangling when they’re not being worn. It’s functional, but it also makes an interesting display that’s constantly changing.

Image above: This is the landing area where we keep all of our wooly hats and mittens. My friend Jenny of Wiksten knitted the beautiful marled navy scarf on top. We found the bench at the Brooklyn Flea, made by a furniture maker who works out of the Brooklyn Navy Yard.

Image above: I took this photograph when we were sailing through the fjords in New Zealand and had it printed it as a poster to hide an unattractive electrical panel.

1. gina says:

these are the kind of sneak peeks that truly inspire me. what a peaceful retreat! its sweet, simple, homey, natural and clean. doable and inspiring. loving the throws, rugs, pillows and baskets. best!

2. Love this… the subtle colors and textures, the personal mementos, all of it, it’s just beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing here.

3. kristen says:

Wow, such an inspiring, peaceful and original space. Thank you for sharing your home Jennifer!

I just can’t help myself, I have to ask, where is the soap dispenser in the bathroom from? I absolutely love it!

4. Taryn says:

I’m looking for a coffee table just like that – where is it from? Love your home!

5. Melisa says:

Beautiful serene home. Love the calm colors. Where is the record player from?

6. Kate says:

I loved this post. Everything in the apartment looks so thoughtful and meaningful. Really something to remember when out shopping!

7. Kaitlin says:

I love how they took a modern apartment and really gave it some eclectic character, so pretty :)

8. I am in love with this entire apartment, everything. i love love love the bedroom linens and i love the color palette. Honestly, i just want to move right in, and bring my little jack russell. Seriously tho, so beautiful, i love your jewelry and your home, thank you for sharing, – with love, briana

9. Pippa says:

Beautiful and effortless

10. Anthea Grob says:

Your jewellery is what sticks out for me, strong, orginal and organic.

11. Ok, seriously gorgeous! The bedroom really is perfect! Love it!

12. Melissa says:

This is my favorite sneak peak yet, from one of my favorite jewelry designers!

I especially love the floor lamp in the reading corner and the lamp in the bedroom. Any chance on sharing sources for those two?

13. kristen says:

gorgeous home! i love the soothing colors – thanks for sharing!

14. mosey says:

This is beautiful! We are about to move into a new Brooklyn place and it’s such a relief to know it’s possible to add tons of personal, eclectic character to new bones. Can you please share where you found the bedroom curtains? They’re perfect.

15. Maggie says:

Very nice Jeni! I need to make a visit sans kids for some needed relaxation at your quite and peaceful home. xoxoxoxoxo

16. Kim says:

LOVE! I contacted Jennifer via email a few weeks back because I saw a single picture of her bedroom and wanted to know (1) where she got her wall lamps and (2) if there were any more pictures of her home I could see. She was so sweet and responsive. I bought the lamps (on sale even!) and I eagerly checked here every Monday to see if her home was featured (she told me it would be soon). I’m so glad I did….the home is such an inspiration!

17. moxie says:

I have one of her necklaces! About four years ago my mom and I found her at a market downtown, and I fell in love with the jellyfish necklace in the photo with all the necklaces on the wall. It appeared under the christmas tree that year and is still one of my most beloved pieces of jewelry. Thank you so much for this! Beautiful!

18. Thanks again!

A few notes to answer some of your questions:
    The rug in the entryway is by chilewich
    Record player is by pro-ject RPM
    Soap dispenser in the bathroom is from target
    We had the curtains made from natural linen lined with blackout material.
    The curtain rod and rings are from west elm and so is the floor lamp by the armchair

19. Liz says:

Any news on the coffee table?! I would love to find one like it for my apartment!

20. Sylvie says:

One of my favorite sneak peeks ever. Beautiful feeling in this home!

21. cottagefarm says:

beautiful space! love seeing the little pillow from my shop in your reading corner.

22. Such a gorgeous space, it is going straight to my inspiration folder. It is such a great lesson in keeping neutrals interesting. I have a staghorn fern, but never thought to mount it on the wall like that – any tips on how to do it? Thanks so much for letting us into your home!

23. Lauren says:

I’m obsessed with the textile on the headboard. Any info on where that is from? Material? Anything? This is such a gorgeous feature!!

24. Kyndell says:

I love the organic feel & the repeated themes. Lovely!

25. Lizzy says:

What a beautiful and peaceful space. I love that grey allows all your other treasures to stand out. A perfect backdrop to you amazing jewelry! May I ask where you found for sink basin and fixtures. It is exactly what I have been looking for (and would fit the space) for our bathroom that we are tackling next. I would GREATLY appreciate it!

26. Julie says:

I cannot get over the striking simplicity of the woven rugs and pillows in this home – the muted colors against the soft grey backround provide a sense of calm without dulling out the space. Love it!

27. Zsuzsanna says:

The simple use of the Xeographica on the coffee table is gorgeous! And the Staghorn on the wall.. Designing with Bromeliads and air plants is such joy – they are the most versatile and always make a statement.

28. Carolina says:

Hello Jennifer,
    big fan of your jewellery, and nice to see a bit of your very serene house. Beautiful!
    Would you be able to tell me what kind of record player you have? The one pictured in the photograph with your parents teak sideboard. Thank you in advance, and looking forward to your SS12 collection.

29. I am deciding colours for my new home.
    I love the colour throughout and the grey-green at the sleeping room.
    I would love to know which colours are them, specially the one throughout since looks different depending on the light.
    Are the doors and skirting board completely white? or do they have any colour?

Thanks in advance

30. Forgot to say it is beautiful and so warm and elegant…

31. jessica clare says:

Can I ask where you got your shower curtain??

32. Amanda says:

Do you have a source for the pillow on the left (i.e. in between the blanket and the far right pillow) as well as the blanket, both on the couch? Love them all!

33. Julia T says:

love this apartment – beautiful color palette

34. Mallory says:

Beautiful palette. Where is the couch from as well as the coffee table its pictured with? (3rd picture down – featured with kilim pillows)

35. Nina says:

Great apartment. Best I like the hallway :)

36. Jessica says:

Everything looks so amazing, well except the feathers painting – it really scares me, there’s something about it lol!

37. Great work, good continuation