sneak peek best of: fireplaces

The chilly nights here in Martha’s Vineyard make me want to cozy up to some of the amazing fireplaces we’ve been fortunate enough to feature over the years in D*S sneak peeks. From working and non-working fireplaces to faux, painted and covered mantles, these amazing home owners have showcased it all and I hope their fireplaces (35 of our faves) will inspire you as much as they’ve inspired me. xo, grace

Image above: The fireplace from Lucy Allen Gillis’ home.

Image above: Emma Cassi’s bedroom fireplace.

Image above: A cool, blue fireplace belonging to Cathy and Robin of Heath Ceramics.

Image above: Toni Brogan‘s rustic upstate fireplace.

Image above: Jessica Lynch’s amazing fireplace. See the “before” story here!

CLICK HERE for 30 more fabulous fireplaces after the jump!

Image above: Barbara Berrada’s amazing pink fireplace.

Image above: Tassy from Sprout Home’s cheery yellow and white fireplace.

Image above: Jill Malek’s stylish white fireplace.

Image above: Adrienne Labelle’s Brooklyn fireplace accented with pink and yellow.

Image above: Adelle Robinson‘s rustic fireplace.

Image above: Beci Orpin‘s chic all-white fireplace.

Image above: Jenny Sauer‘s fireplace.

Image above: Andy Beers’ fireplace. I love the interior painted pink!

Image above: Helen Palmer’s homey fireplace.

Image above: The fantastic fireplace from Ellen Lupton and Abbott Miller’s Baltimore home.

Image above: Actress and comedienne Amy Sedaris’ quirky brick fireplace.

Image above: Emma Cassi’s apartment is blessed with two chic fireplaces.

Image above: Brad Dufton’s wallpaper-accented fireplace.

Image above: Like Emma, Helen Palmer has two cute fireplaces to her name, as well.

Image above: I love the rustic, less-structured feel of Sherry Stein’s fireplace.

Image above: I’d love to read a book in Sarah Ridgley’s orange fireside chair.

Image above: Or maybe this red chair in Stacy Pancake’s bedroom fireplace would be a nice place to rest . . .

Image above: Rinne Allen’s tall brick fireplace.

Image above: A perfectly styled fireplace display in the home of Julie from Famille Summerbelle.

Image above: I love the artwork above Liz Demos’ Savannah fireplace.

Image above: Olivia San Mateo’s fireplace. If you don’t have a real mantle, just use a shelf to create one above the fireplace like Olivia!

Image above: Carol Neily’s amazingly gorgeous antique fireplace in France (on the left).

Image above: I love the carving in the center of Abby Clawson’s fireplace.

Images above: You don’t see a lot of black fireplaces, but Vanessa Dina’s is seriously gorgeous.

Image above: Abbey Nova‘s pretty double-decker fireplace mantle.

Image above: Jocie Sinaeur’s New Hampshire fireplace.

Image above: Maxine Sutton’s wallpaper-framed fireplace.

Image above: Emma and James of 1973‘s blue-tiled fireplace.

Image above: Maya’s Brooklyn fireplace, filled with her skeleton collection.

Image above: Andrew Sidford’s log-filled fireplace in London.

1. Oh my goodness, this post is fueling my desire to redo our fireplace ASAP!

2. Oh man, I sooo wish we had a fireplace in our apartment! Sadly, I think we’re going to have to wait until we can afford an actual house.

xo,
    Cassie

3. cynthia says:

love it. very inspiring. wish there were a few corner fireplace ideas – those corner coves are tricky.

4. Susan says:

Perfect timing for this as fall begins to set in….I am as captivated by the chairs as I am by the fireplaces ….especially those brown sort of faux bois wing chairs in Rinne Allen’s pic – who says wing chairs can’t be fun?

5. porter says:

I can’t wait to build a fire! It’s almost that time!!

6. Gretchen says:

Love the pictures! I think I’ve now found my early fall-time project…..

7. Christine says:

Horray! Thanks for the gorgeous ammunition for my never-ending argument with my husband over whether we should paint our very dark, very blah brick fireplace!

8. Susan says:

Great post! Even though it is 80+ in Dallas, I have Fall Fever in the worst way. Loved these gorgeous fireplaces and even more gorgeous settings.

9. copywaitress says:

so inspiring ! Thank you :)

10. mllep says:

I adore fireplaces – my dream one is at the Ahwahnee Lodge in Yosemite. Can’t wait to have a house with a fire going!

11. I love Lucy’s fireplace. I could just picture all my vintagey things finding such a restful backdrop.

12. tdot says:

yesssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thank you thank you thank you! I have been hemming and hawing over our fireplace, and have had such a hard time over the last half year finding pictures and ideas to inspire me on both you site and others. You made my day!

13. Sara says:

Yummy! I need ideas for our “kiva” fireplace. Corner type with a “banco”, bench in english. And it goes all the way to the raised ceiling, which is 22 feet! Currently painted to resemble baby poo! Any ideas? Anyone?

14. thank you thank you very much admin nice post..

15. Kathleen says:

Love the north-woods themed one. This post makes me want to grab a book and a blanket and snuggle up!

16. Laguna Dirt says:

these fireplaces are so creative and amazing! i just posted some pics of a cool one my friend made of driftwood and ocean rocks.

17. Laguna Dirt says:

maybe this is overkill, but the LA Times Home section just
    ran the most killer mosaic fireplace that you must see:
    http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2011-01/106500440-14151318.jpg i
    posted the entire article/pics on my blog, laguna dirt,
    too.

18. Luwam says:

I absolutely heart what you did with the floor paint continuing onto the coffee table in your living room! Very creative/artistic/inspiring and unique!

19. Oh wow this is such great inspiration, we have just transformed our awful 70’s fireplace to a more traditional looking one, but something is missing, so this has given me some good ideas to try out