maria s.c. lamp

I live in a part of Brooklyn that is primarily Polish, so it makes me happy when I hear from publicists about up-and-coming Polish designers. Designer Pani Jurek was inspired by the Polish scientist Maria Skłodowska-Curie (who won the Nobel Prize in chemistry) when creating this lamp made from chemistry test tubes. Two plywood bands hold rows of test tubes in place that can easily be detached, allowing for a wide range of different fillers. I love the idea of using them for floral trimmings or vines, but you could also try stones, sand or colored water (ombre, anyone?) to switch things up. You can get more information on Pani’s light right here. Thanks to Monika for the tip! xo, grace

1. Jjanga says:

This is stunning! I wish I could have this in my living room, it’d be perfect!

xoxo, Jjanga

2. bee says:

i see a DIY version in my near future.

3. clampers says:

So cool!

4. Liz says:

Am I being stupid? Is this available for sale? I can’t tell when I follow the link. I think it would be perfect over my kitchen/dining table.

1. Grace Bonney says:

just check the comment above from monika :)

5. Monika says:

You can order the lamp directly from designer website: (
    Monika (Gang Design)

6. Laura says:

Excellent work, great idea! I like all the possibilities that one can play with to use the glass for – flowers, leaves, colorful liquid etc. Fantastic lamp!

7. andrea says:

So beautiful. Ok, maybe I’m slow??? I tried the link and I can’t figure out how to purchase, ect. Looks like it’s in Polish. Wish I could read Polish. :)

1. Amy Azzarito says:

Hi Andrea –
      I just sent an email to Monika asking for better direction. I couldn’t figure it out either. :) – Amy

9. Shield says:

If you’re interested in the lamp, just send an email via

They will inform you about the pricing, ordering and packaging.
    Polish design for the win!

10. danielle says:

okay, so want one of these! as a scientist i can appreciate integrating things like test tubes into my home. so cool!

11. SO cool & creative!! I love the versatility -fun, fun, fun!!!

12. Ashley says:

Once again, I love seeing random homages to science on your site! As a scientist and a lover of single blossoms in thin vessels, I am all over this!!

13. eeeeep! very cool with the rainbow in the vials.

14. this is SUCH a beautiful design. I love each of the lovely ways to decorate it. :)

15. Ele says:

Very pretty and versitile too!
    (As one of the few women in physics, I’d like to point out that Marie Curie had the unprecedented acheivement of winning 2 Nobel prizes, one in Chemistry, as you point out, but only after she had already won the Novel in physics!)

16. I love lamp! (Anchorman? Anyone?) Seriously, though, I love the perfect cocktail of design, science, and nature this lamp conjures up. I also love the thought of hosting a dinner party and every now and then a single petal might float down to the table from the lamp above. Fantastic.

17. Sandra Jones says:

These are some great designs! I would love to implement them for my home.

18. Amy Azzarito says:

Hi guys –
    I just heard back from Monika – They now have an etsy shop with the chandelier – or you can send her an email at monika at Thanks! Amy

19. Justyna says:

One funny blip, “Pani” is not a name, it’s the equivalent to a Ms. or Madame. So the name is Ms. Jurek (Jurek most likely being her last name). (BTW, I’m Polish)

20. What a breathtakingly beautiful lamp. When the test tubes are filled with different colors of water, it just creates a visual paradise. I am so grateful to you for posting these images. I feel so inspired by this beautiful lamp. Thank you!

21. lua says:

Love at first sight. So many things one can do with this. Thinking of cut crystals…

22. I love the lamp filled with coloured water! It’s beautiful!

23. joanne says:

this is the most beautiful/ cool thing i’ve seen all day. THANK YOU for posting!