lyrics on vinyl

While Amy and I were laying yet another layer of thick black paint on our office floors (let’s hope the fumes scare away the mice that have taken up residency between tenants), we took a break to snap some process shots. As we stood in the hallway, we met one of our new neighbors, who happens to be an audio engineer with an impressive vinyl collection. I’m not a vinyl collector myself, but I’ve always been impressed by people who put the time and care into maintaining a great collection. After we painted and I walked home, I stumbled onto a box of vinyl records that had been carelessly tossed on the side of the road and fairly scuffed up (which seems like it would be some sort of punishable hipster crime in my neighborhood). I cringed when I thought of what our new neighbor would think and wondered what sort of DIY project I could use them for now that they are un-playable. I’m still racking my brain for something clever, but these record-based pieces from artist Patrick Laurent of Quiet Boy Studio seem like a nice idea.

Patrick paints lyrics on old records and currently sells them through his Etsy shop. In addition to selections that are special to him, Patrick takes custom orders if you have lyrics that mean something to you. This would make a fun gift for someone’s birthday, wedding or anniversary, so if you’ve been trying to come up with a personalized gift, click here to check out Patrick’s current selections or order a custom piece. xo, grace

1. Those are so beautiful! I love that Gungor song and was pleasantly surprised to see it on D*S. I feel like my worlds are colliding!

2. Thanks so much for featuring my artwork on your blog!!! It’s an honor to be a part of Design Sponge.

3. Amanda Jones says:

Gorgeous! I love Blackbird!

4. Gail says:

Oh Pat, this is so cool. So happy for you. At some point, I really must get that Wilco print from you. Love that you listened. Both to the song and to my request to turn it into a piece of art :)

5. These are so killer! What a great idea! Thanks for sharing Grace!

6. Beautiful Things is such an amazing song, and the typography on these is SO adorable. I’m in love.

7. karoline says:

Okay, so this made my day. Gungor’s beautiful things AND vinyl AND beauty! Made me smile a whole lot when I saw it on my iPhone all alone among strangers on my train ride today (: Wow!

8. eva says:

oooh, nice gift-idea. great work on the lettering!

9. Jaclyn says:

Beautiful!! Thanks for sharing.

10. Trista says:

I agree with some of the other posters. LOVE GUNGOR, and this artwork is incredible. His whole shop is.

11. Alethea says:

hello anniversary present

12. Pete says:

Brilliant idea. One of those things where you wonder why no one ever thought of it before? Great typography too (my weakness).

13. elyse says:

I love Gungor too! What a treat to see those lyrics here. And the art work is amazing!

14. Wow this is so perfectly nice!!! Definately going to buy one, they are the best gift for my sis!

(Pls check my new blog guys: )

15. What a lovely idea. Such beautiful lettering too!

16. Kirsten says:

I LOVE GUNGOR!!! If you haven’t listened to them. Do it NOW! Beautiful..

17. julia says:

just noticed that the 1st one is by gungor! love listening to them on pandora!

18. brenda brothers says:

my gift giving…..solved!!!! thank you

19. Sam Allen says:

I just love Gungor!! Beautiful type treatments too!

20. Sara says:

Grace, Patrick’s artwork is so inspiring! It even inspired to create my own DIY project with some old vinyls! I’d love if you checked it out!