wild love: gram parsons & emmylou harris

Image by Julie Cope

[Editor’s note: I’m thrilled to introduce both a new column and contributor to Design*Sponge. I met florist Mary Kathryn Paynter of Loretta Flower in Austin and instantly fell in love with her floral designs. So I was delighted to hear her fantastic idea for a new column called Wild Love dedicated to inspiring couples throughout history. With each post, Mary Kathryn will interpret the couple’s style through flowers and share an arrangement that you’ll learn to make at home. Welcome to the team, Mary Kathryn! xo, grace]

One of the greatest love stories in music, Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris’ relationship was over before it began, but it produced a time-tested body of work. Merging the early 1970s sounds of rock and psychedelia with classic folk and country, Parsons and Harris helped bring about the “cosmic cowboy” sound and gave it a tenderness that was reflective of their electric chemistry.

Parsons made a name for himself when he joined well-known folk band the Byrds and infused their 1968 album, Sweetheart of the Rodeo, with the sounds of early country greats like the Louvin Brothers and George Jones. Shortly after being kicked out for his hard-partying lifestyle, he joined the Rolling Stones in the south of France, contributing to their 1972 album, Exile on Main Street, widely regarded as the band’s best. He gave Harris her first big break, discovering her singing in a dive bar in Washington, D.C., and soon she was a part of his band, Gram Parsons & the Fallen Angels, singing harmonies on his two solo albums and accompanying him on tour.

Images above, top to bottom: Gram Parsons, image courtesy of The Gram Parsons Foundation; Emmylou Harris, image by Denise Paxton.

Parsons was married and Harris was a respectable southern girl, but the energy between them was undeniable. After recording his second solo album, Grievous Angel, Parsons filed for divorce and went to Joshua Tree National Park, where he died suddenly and unexpectedly. Harris told an interviewer, “A couple of weeks before, I’d finally accepted the fact that I was in love with him. But, you know, why even tell him? I was going to see him in a few weeks. I had all the time in the world . . . I was savouring (sic) the moment. I didn’t want to say it to him over the phone. I wanted to say it to him in person. But I never got the chance.” Since then, Emmylou Harris has written multiple songs in tribute to Parsons and continued to play his songs throughout her career. Harris has gone on to great success as one of the most influential female artists of our time, but her work is tinged with the sadness of losing a great love too soon.

In tribute to Gram & Emmylou, I created a bouquet that is a little cosmic and a little bit country. After the jump, I’ll teach you how to make it and tell you a little more about this talented couple. — Mary Kathryn

*If you have suggestions for couples you’d like to see in the column, please leave your favorites in the comment section below.*

Images above, top to bottom: Gram Parsons’ Memorial in Joshua Tree National Park, image via Wikimedia; Gram Parsons’ infamous “Gilded Palace of Sin” suit by Nashville rodeo tailor Nudie Cohn, photo by jbcurio; Emmylou Harris image by Denise Paxton

Image by Julie Cope

In tribute to Gram & Emmylou, this bouquet is a little cosmic and a little bit country. David Austin “Darcey” garden roses and icelandic poppies are reminiscent of the giant flowers embroidered into Gram Parson’s custom flashy rhinestone suits by famous Nashville tailor, Nudie Cohn. Rosy veronica, yellow acacia, asclepias and artemesia bring more color and a western wildflower feel to the bouquet, which is complemented by the loose and rustic style of the arrangement. Lastly, aeoniums are added with wire to give it all a Joshua Tree vibe.

Wiring succulents into a bouquet is a great way to introduce a textural element that can be replanted long after the other flowers have faded away. To do so, just cut a piece of floral wire about twice as long as the plant’s stem and carefully thread it from the base of the stem to just below the bloom. Wrap floral tape around the stem and wire connection, and continue wrapping down the wire. Voila! You can now use your succulent as if it were any other flower and replant it by just removing the wire and tape and sticking it in soil.

Above images by Julie Cope

1. Katie says:

This new column is a stroke of genius! What a gorgeous idea- can’t wait to see the rest!

2. Liz says:

Arrangement is wonderful but I have to say the candles would take away any possibility of enjoying the scent of the flowers! Concept is limitless and should be a fun, creative posting.

3. Meghan says:

What a FANTASTIC idea for a new column!!! And I love Gram Parsons! The two of them are some real colorful, spicy, Western twang for sure and you’ve definitely channeled their Spirit Flowers. Can’t wait to see what pairings you put together next! My only request is that you keep them as bright and lively as this bouquet. I’d walk down the aisle with this one!

4. Kelly says:

Wow, I’m loving this new column! I’m a big fan of Emmylou’s older stuff (she is so productive, it’s hard to keep up with all her work), including all those great duets with Gram. So many great ideas for the future, too.

5. Gray says:

Great column. Love this new contributor!

6. Lalley says:

viva Manuel Cuevas and the great suit he designed for G.Parsons. the suit was featured in the 2005 exhibit at the Frist Center titled “Manuel: Star-Spangled Couture”

7. Jen says:

Sid and Nancy!

8. Bill Jordan says:

Wonderful tribute to two greatly influential people & musicians. Beautiful, love it!!!

9. Diana Green says:

What beautiful flowers for Gram and Emmylou. Gram, you passed away too young. Am sure you still had songs in your heart that hadn’t been written yet, that we will never hear in this lifetime. Emmylou, Thank You for giving us your music then and now! All of the songs you sing have emotion, but I can hear a difference in your voice when you sing songs that you and Gram sang together. I play guitar and sing some of your songs, and like you, I only want to play and sing songs that move me.

10. freda says:

This is the first
    time I had heard those quotes from Emmylou regarding her love for Gram. Do you mind giving the date and name of the interviewer? I’ve only heard Emmylou say that she would not discuss her relationship with Gram. If these quotes are validated, I would love to share with my fellow Gram friends.

1. Grace Bonney says:

freda

mk wrote this piece, but i did a quick search and found this. i’ll ask her if she found a press source for the quote: http://www.gramparsonsproject.com/emmylou/index.htm

grace

11. cloudseat says:

I’m already a fan of Design Sponge, but researching a song by a musical duo named First Aid Kit (http://www.thisisfirstaidkit.com/) led me to this article. If this story touched you, I’d recommend listening to this song (http://open.spotify.com/track/3UzvFIyu5qdRepwJViDwjN).
    It’s not exactly my style, but it’s a little masterpiece waiting to be discovered.