current obsessions: navy blue and red

One of the best parts of getting some downtime over the holidays was finally letting my brain rest a bit. After a few days, my urge to clean and decorate finally started to return, and I found myself slowly pulling together my disparate desktop “save for later” clips. Without really realizing it, I’ve been on a major navy blue and red kick lately. I’ve been pulling images and favorites for a few months now, and the overall look is really coming together. It’s classic, sophisticated and still somehow modern, so this may be just the theme we need for our new office (which is currently having a few unnecessary walls demoed). I’m not sure if navy blue walls are right for the whole space, but this theme has got to make it onto my side at the very least. If nothing else, I really want a chaise like this (or this) covered in my beloved Housepets fabrics (above) by Donghia. With the new year finally here and the urge for a fresh start pushing us all forward, it feels like the right time to embrace a big change. Did any of you find yourself ready to finally roll over into a new look this year? I think my polka dots and stripe obsession may finally be put to rest (for now), and this classic-meets-edgy feel could be here to stay. xo, grace

Inspirations above, clockwise from top left: Special Edition Wildwood Book (signed), $100; Tattoo Artist Tony Hundahl’s Card (where Matt and I got our tattoos last year); Gola Sneakers, $58; Donghia’s Housepets FabricMariniere Shirt, $78; Ankle Bootie from SIXby6bloggers Designed by Leandra Medine of The Man Repeller, $568 (WOW); La Colombe Afrique Blend, $12.25 (my favorite branding and packaging these days)

1. Cutest fabric ever! I am really loving navy these days. We just posted a laquered navy parsons table on our FB page this morning. It would go great with your ideas.

2. Thanks for recognizing our La Colombe packaging design! Great roundup of navy and red!

1. Grace Bonney says:

oh is that you guys? i LOVE that design and branding work. did you do the stores, too?

3. designchic says:

Love red and navy…how cute is that packaging, and the housepets fabric…adorable!! Wishing you all the best in 2012 ~

4. We did the packaging redesign, and the neon sign/signage in the Lafayette Street location. Great to see it on your current obsessions, thanks!

5. Molly says:

I am loving navy and red too! In fact, I just re-did our guest room with those colors as our jumping off point based on an old oriental rug I have.

(Just yesterday I added a bed frame and added the twin sister rug to the room—gotta shoot some new pics.)

Happy New Year!

6. PJ says:

My home office in in the basement–which currently has maroon walls w/beige wainscoting (ick). Maybe navy accents are just what I need to make it the space feel more modern.

7. Roberto says:

the boots would be much nicer without the studs.

8. the egg says:

favorite color combo ever!

9. I’m in love with those shoes! I barely have any red in my wardrobe but lots of navy, might have to start searching for some red accents!

10. Whenever I pass an object with this color combo I always do a double take. I find navy+red so stimulating, almost like a wake-up that puts some pep in my step. Love the Gola sneakers.

11. Jessica says:

Great color combo and perfect for the nautical thing that’s happening in spring lines.

12. Leslie says:

Just saw this print on cosas minimas and thought of you and your color scheme. Congrats on the new office!

1. Grace Bonney says:

thanks leslie! if only that was me right now :)

13. amanda says:

let’s give it up for la columbe! it looks great and is the best coffee around. cute post, can’t wait to see the office!

14. Andrea says:

I ♡ this post! I created a similar post in 2010; just reincarnated the red & blue inspiration:

15. Morgan says:

Oooh, great selection! I’ve always loved that color combo too !
    (I wrote a post on that same color theme for our shop back in April:
    I need those sneakers, now!

Congrats on the new office, can’t wait to see the “after” pics!