before & after: children’s dresser refresh

Yellow is rarely my color of choice, but with all the cold, dark dreariness that winter unloads on my apartment, I’m really appreciating the energy of this beautiful, sunny chevron dresser. Courtney and her husband originally scored this dresser off Craigslist and painted it solid, but when they moved to California, Courtney decided to jazz things up a bit. Her chevron pattern addition is brilliant; it does so much for the personality of this piece, and the solid white drawers are a markedly sophisticated touch. Not bad for $12 and 2 hours :) Great job, Courtney! — Kate

Time: 2–3 hours (12 hours drying time)

Cost: $12 for painter’s tape; the dresser cost $50, and the previous paint and hardware update was $50 for the supplies

Basic Steps: This is an antique dresser that I bought off Craigslist. It originally had a mirror attached, and we simply puttied the holes before we sanded and painted it. My hubby sprayed it with a borrowed paint sprayer and a gallon of paint and primer (in one): Glidden Spicy Banana Pepper Yellow. We used it like this in our Baltimore row house, but with a recent move to California, I felt like it needed more pizazz. So we painted the chevron pattern by taping it out with painter’s tape and using a can of Rustoleum white spray paint. It was a super simple update, which was inspired by a chevron-painted ceiling I saw.

THE BEST ADVICE I have is using Green FROG tape. It is AMAZING for keeping clean paint lines. Also make sure and take your time when taping. Also try to be as patient as possible when waiting for it to dry before removing the tape. It is so hard for me every time I do a project because I cannot wait to remove the tape and see the amazingness . . . but the Hubs always makes me wait, thank goodness ; ) — Courtney

1. Rachel Tatem says:

What an awesome before after!

2. anonymous says:

i like the chevron pattern but w the solid top drawers it’s making my head spin bc it is so busy. nice change tho, prefer it solid.

3. says:

Amo Antes e depois!

4. My favorite pattern of all time! This dresser looks great!

5. Love it! Courtney – you did a beautiful job. So crisp, fresh and totally fun. Kate, thanks for sharing and for feeding my chevron obsession!!

6. Love that fun, chevron pattern and the colour is just too cute!:)

7. Jennifer says:

I love the chevron! Great job!

8. Janvi says:

Love this! Where is that adorable horse lamp from?

9. ElleSee says:

This is fantastic! What a difference.

10. First of all, how could you not love a name like Spicy Banana Pepper Yellow? Such a great before and after!

11. Alice says:

Love the yellow and white chevron…but would like to have seen the small drawers either yellow or a smaller chevron.

12. That looks amazing! What a killer piece! I thought it looked great before but the Chevron puts the ‘old’ look to shame! Great job!

13. Miss Bentley says:

i love it! Chevron patterns rule!

14. SF says:

Where did you find the shiny silver pulls? I have a very similar dresser and have never found pulls I like.

15. eva says:

wow! though I probably would have left the upper drawers yellow. Anyhoo, nice one!

16. snowsuit says:

cool dresser, but the lampshade steals the show for me and i desperately need to know where it is from! or maybe it is handmade?

17. Courtney says:

SF the knobs were just basic home depot knobs….@Snowsuit it is handmade the DIY is on my blog check it out! Thanks everyone for the feedback. I too thought I should keep the tops drawers yellow at first…and after the bottom two drawers were done it just didn’t look right…..;.)

18. Abby says:

fantastic b & a! So inspiring.

19. bettercurly says:

i like this too! bright and fun! good job!

20. Vanessa says:

yup, adorable! (is that a dash & albert rug?)

21. Susan says:

Cute before….fabulous after! I love the way you alternated the chevron on the two drawers and I think the top drawers in white is spot on! Gotta love craigslist….and your arrangement on top of the dresser is great too.

22. Best sunny zig zag ever..!

23. Therese says:

wow! how cool! :D

24. Sue says:

I love the dresser both ways.

25. Ashley says:

I love the yellow color. The dresser looks so good with the new pattern.

26. Jessica says:

Very cool. Nice bold color, and I love the chevron pattern.

27. Brittany says:

I love that rug! Where is it from?

28. Richie says:

Omg! How clever how you ruined that dresser… beyond cute!

29. michelle says:

i liked it before better. after looks too busy and diy

30. Laurie says:

So perfect. I am actually painting my daughter’s dresser in a similar fashion. Thank you for the inspiration. And I LOVE the top drawers white. Good choice.

31. This is adorable, BUT would it be too much to ask to see that whole wall? Or maybe it’s already posted on your site somewhere? I love the arrangement of photos you have above the dresser. I was hoping to see how it all looked together, pretty please? Thanks, Shan

32. Evelyn M says:

I’ve seen many dresser refreshers, but the Chevron truly rules. It is a classic, simple, easy to do, and boldy refreshing. It can be done with one new colour as the original base can be the background colour. Definately a winner!

33. Jessica says:

Hi I want to do a DIY project similar to this one. It will be my first attempt at this. What grit of sandpaper do you recommend when sanding the furniture? Thanks!