rym of mademoiselle bagatelles

by

As I’m on a quest to find a new Parisian apartment for myself, I’m happy to share the home of Rym of Mademoiselle Bagatelles and dream of finding a great place like hers. Rym’s flair for style and strong sense of color and texture are the result of growing up between Paris and Tunisia. She recently moved back to Paris from London — where she was working as a pattern cutter for several London Fashion Week designers — to pursue her own line of colorful and stylish handbags with retro-inspired details. The line has expanded to include other accessories, and these days one of her apartment rooms is a dedicated studio space. Many thanks to Rym and to Marianne Nouguez for helping out with some of the photos! — Anne

Image above: This is the living room. I brought the carpets and cushions from Tunisia, where I used to live as a child. My mom is a painter, so I mainly decorated the flat with her art that I collect.

Image above: The dining space. The small olive tree was a housewarming gift. I’ve had the old vintage suitcase since I was a child; it has been following me ever since. It used to belong to my great-grandfather back in the 40s. The hanging balloons are from the art & crafts shop Rougier & Plé in Paris.

See more of Rym’s Paris apartment after the jump!

Image above: I got the table from my grandparents. It used to be painted in black, but I removed most of it with sandpaper. I love the antique look it has now. The mats are also from Tunisia, and so is the ceramic vase. The little wooden box was a handmade gift from one of my sisters for my 20th birthday.

Image above: The dining table is a beautiful antique made from a lemon tree. The plates are a mix from Zara Home and jars that I got at a sale in Paris. I use large whisky glasses from Ikea as candleholders. The table is right in front of a big bay window, so the room always gets plenty of light, which makes for a warm atmosphere. The balloons are suspended to a wire photo holder from the Guggenheim museum in New York and attached to the paper lantern with a satin ribbon.

Image above: In the kitchen, some small dishes from Tunisia, the spice corners and a plate of macarons. I love their colors and nice little round shape — so cute! The fish-shaped dish comes from Japan and is a gift from my little sister.

Image above: The mug has been in the family for ages and is from the 80s. The teapot is a typical teapot used in Tunisia to make traditional mint tea.

Image above: My bedroom. I found the chair at a flea market back in London. I displayed my collection of Hermès scarves on one of its arms because I love to see their brightly colored prints; they’re so cheerful. The cushions are from Zara Home. The dress is an antique find in the medina in Tunis; it’s a traditional bridal gown (under dress) from the 30s.

Image above: One of my bookcases with this funny reindeer hiding between the books. Paul Klee is one of my favorite painters; I love the way he uses color and graphics.

Image above: I love bright colors, and this little red corner in the living room always cheers me up. This little turquoise vase is from Zara Home, and I tend to move it around from room to room with me, so I always get to enjoy it (it’s a kind of mascot!).

Image above: The reading corner of the living room. Carpets and cushions are from Tunisia. I used the Expedit bookcases from Ikea; I love their square shape, and they can be moved very easily, which is convenient since I like to move furniture around often. I also love the contrast of black and red.

Image above: In my bedroom, I chose to use mainly turquoise, my favorite color. The painting is by my grandmother and where I hang my favorite jewelry. The poster above the bed is a Japanese print on rice paper brought back from Japan. I use a placemat from Zara Home to cover my bedside table, which holds my favorite books and DVDs, and one of my clutches that I use as make-up bag. The pillows are from Ikea. And again, the traveling turquoise vase!

Image above: The Maneki Neko (lucky cat) is also a gift from Japan from my sister. The origami mobile is by OnceUponAFold on Etsy.

Image above: The chest of drawers is made from oak and was purchased from an antique shop in Portobello Market in London. The big vase is from artist Sadika and, again, my small traveling vase. The little pomegranate is a gift from a friend from Israel. The wooden piece is actually a piece of my bedroom window shutter from my home in Tunisia, handmade by my dad. The shoes were found in a vintage market in Rome — it was love at first sight!

Image above: The fabric corner

Image above: My sewing studio. The lamp is an old architect lamp from the 80s.

Image above: Mademoiselle Bagatelles/me!

1. I think I love the sewing space the best…I guess I’m surprised that the sewing machine is a Brother and not a Viking! Anyhow, I’m sure there’s yarn stashed about….where there’s a sewer there’s usually a yarn stash. Really.

2. An absolutely beautiful apartment – full of unique character and style!

3. Laura says:

Wonderful colors, combinations and arrangements! Thank you for sharing the photos of this special home that this very creative lady has made!

4. Kareen says:

Thanks for a peek inside your home Rym. I really enjoyed all the beautiful colors especially your traveling vase. :-) I have always wanted to travel to Morocco and if I get the chance to I will be buying as many rugs as I can afford. I have books on Moroccan homes and the colors and design motifs in your apartment reminds me of those homes.

5. Sara says:

This is soooo beautiful. I love all the fabrics and the way everything comes together so harmoniously. This is one of my favorite spaces featured so far, just lovely.

6. Karen says:

I love love LOVE all the paintings.

7. Katie says:

I love her mother’s paintings. Beautiful!

8. Jen Munch says:

I love this one! Beautiful vibrant colors and her mom’s art is so fun to look at. The picture I liked best in thumbnail wasn’t included in the full-size version though- 14B with the colored drawers next to maps on a wall.

9. I wish I were searching for a Parisian apartment too! The paintings are beautiful and the entire apartment feels so fresh! Love!

10. Talk about color! PAINTINGS are wonderful . . .

11. Rachel M says:

I have been to Tunisia several times, and love this merging of styles Rym has going on. This is inspiration for me to be sure. Love the Tunisian ceramics… I broke the only piece I purchased, a large serving bowl. I love the look of the layered textiles. Thank you, Rym, for something to aspire to in my own home!

12. isabel says:

Thanks for sharing your beautiful and colorful home. i love everything about it.

13. isabel says:

p.s. i want those shoes.

14. One of my favorite sneak peeks ever! I love her worldly style, the mixture of fabrics and prints, the bright colors! It’s all so inspiring.

15. Nicky says:

I love the Tunisian influence! My parents are Maltese but born and bred in Tunisia.

16. Steve says:

I love your home. Your mother’s paintings are AMAZING! Is there a way to see more of her art?

17. kimmi syren says:

There is such a spell-binding, childlike innocence to this home I am absolutely speechless.
    It is on a very rare occasion that we have the opportunity to see ( what I perceive to be anyway ), a true reflection of this person as so obviously exemplified by her surroundings without a care nor a nod to what the rest of the design world is up to or is making out to be currently “in vogue”

Simply lovely!

18. Nisha Vikram says:

The colors are beautiful! Though I love colors, I can never be this bold and decorate my home with all the beautiful colors. With this, I think I am getting a little bolder. Thanks! :)

19. What lovely vignettes throughout this home. So pretty!

20. Laura Trevey says:

I love all the colors, art, and the creative designs in each room! wow!!

21. Mari says:

Gorgeous!!!! Such an inviting atmosphere & lovely colors!!!

22. Sommer Roman says:

I love your work… et j’aime Paris!! Vous avez une vie de reves :)

23. I just love the use of natural light, old wood, and riotous patterns of the antique & new textiles all jumbled together, with piles of books & exotic vases filled with fresh wildflowers…..divine! This home speaks to me. :)

Thanks for the peek, it was lovely~

Heidi

24. Alex says:

In the undying words of Liz Lemon… I want to go to there.

25. Rachel says:

Such a warm, personal and colorful home-I love it! And wouldn’t mind being invited around for tea and cakes either!

26. Carla says:

Very cute + unique. Well done!

27. sunny says:

I love the artwork!! and the reading corner of the living room and the traveling turqoise vase!

28. sarah says:

I seriously think we could be twins (in mindset/taste, not appearance). lovely home.

29. Rym says:

Thank you all for the great feedback!
    @Steve: You can see more of my mother’s paintings here: http://grainsdememoire.com/
    @MB@YARNUIPHONEAPPV2.0: the Brother machine is very straightforward and easy to use as well ultra light, so perfect for me!

30. Nastya says:

For a long time didn’t see anything so beautiful and warm!

31. What a lovely home. I love your sewing room and particularlylove the rack for all your sewing threads.

32. Laura Harwood says:

This is my favorite sneak peek. Feels warm, genuine, authentic. Love all Maroc/Tunis influence. It all works with out trying to hard.

33. Holly Moy says:

Love you lifestyle….mahalo for sharing :)