living in: white christmas

by

White Christmas is the crown jewel of holiday movies in the Merrick house, the gold standard by which all others are judged. Classy but funny, with mind-boggling dancing and more costume changes than Christina Aguilera at the VMAs, it’s the movie we reach for year after year. Sure, there are a couple gratuitous musical numbers, but in my old age I find myself less aware of them anyway and more focused on the mash-up of rustic and mid-century that steal the show. Or would steal the show if Rosemary Clooney weren’t involved. — Amy Merrick

1. Green Banded Cup and Saucer, $9; 2. Vintage Copper Pot, $55; 3. Vermont Poster, $20; 4. Cable Knit Socks, $45; 5. Antique Windsor Chair, $1150; 6. Revlon “Cherries in the Snow” Lipstick, $6; 7. Belle Noel Hoops, $69; 8. Hot Dog Fork, $5; 9. Firewood Bundles, $5; 10. Random Stone Fire Pit, $500; 11. Bottlebrush Trees, $6

The second roundup and set of stills continue after the jump . . .

No Christmas movie manages to be quite as chic as White Christmas. Perhaps it’s easier when you have tons of showbiz glitz to take over a good old-fashioned New England hotel, but I think you could re-create this look at home, too. A tree that’s dripping with tinsel, dressed up wreaths and garlands, a swingy coat and a suitcase to facilitate a quick escape on the train — here’s to dreaming of a white Christmas again this year.

1. Starry Sky Ornament, $10; 2. Black Beret, $4; 3. French Barrette, $9; 4. Metal Crown, $29; 5. Issa Flared Coat, $1240; 6. Ivory Glitter Tree, $18; 7. Berry Wreath, $128; 8. Foresee Jewelry Suitcase, $108; 9. Gold Tinsel Spool, $24; 10. Snake Chain Bracelet, $46

1. kristina says:

i love that wooden chair and that lipstick!!
    xx, kristina

2. Gorgeous! I hope we are now officially allowed to LUURVE Doris Day :-))
    Have a great Christmas Grace and Amy
    XOXO
    Bea

3. Katie says:

The wooden chair, copper pot, and the fire pit are wonderful.

4. Jennifer says:

It would be amazing to live in this! Love it. I may be daring and buy that lipstick!

5. Sarah says:

I would love to have one of those fire pits, to me, nothing says Christmas more than an open fire.
    I hope you have a lovely Christmas!

6. Carrie says:

I LOVE this movie!!! AND every item you’ve posted. SO fun.

7. This is one of my all time favorite movies — Christmas or not. I love it! Great job on the write-up and finds. We watched it over and over in my family growing up, too. My dad still starts singing “Sisters” to my sister pretty regularly. :)

8. Susan says:

I just watched it again today! I found myself drooling over that copper fire pit…it would fit right into a modern home today, love it!

9. I thought there’d be buttermilk in your item collage. I always think of that when the older Haines sister can’t sleep and goes down for a midnight snack with Bing.

Charming and perfect finds though!

10. ann says:

It’s just not Christmas without “White Christmas.” Technicolor red Cherries In The Snow Revlon lipstick — classic.
    P.S. Yes, love Doris Day. But that was Vera Ellen and Rosemary Clooney in “White Christmas.”

11. Sarah G says:

My favorite Christmas movie – love all of this!

12. Elizabeth B says:

@Modern Country Lady that’s not Doris Day, it’s Vera Ellen and Rosemary Clooney!

I love this film and this post series!!!

13. Sarah Wilks says:

Ah, that is my absolute FAVOURITE Christmas movie! Love it. Happy Christmas! x

14. CR says:

I’m going to Vermont for Christmas!

15. Amy says:

We would watch this every year as we decorated our tree, and then again on Christmas night. My dad was a gentle giant and a Command Master Chief in the Navy and this movie would always bring a tear to his eye. Now my 3 year old watches it in awe, the glamour and the dancing stops her in her tracks. Thank you for doing this! SO gorgeous!

16. Shannen says:

aww! I’m a native Vermonter:) I love the compilation of images that give the feeling of “White Christmas”! Reminds me of home!

17. Meg says:

I may or may not have teared up once I saw this post – to me, Christmas is not Christmas without this movie playing in the background, and cousin Bing singing about counting blessings. Wonderful Living In post!!

18. Barchbo says:

Love this! Merry Christmas!

19. Gina says:

Ditto- it’s not Christmas without this movie! Thanks for the post!

20. stacey erin says:

My dream come true! This is not only my favorite Christmas movie, but my favorite movie of all time. It has been playing on a loop at my house since November!
    “My dear partner, when what’s left of you gets around to what’s left to be gotten, what’s left to be gotten won’t be worth getting what ever it is you’ve got left.” – “When I figure out what that means, I’ll come up with a crushing reply.”
    Merry White Christmas and Happy Holidays!

21. I love this post! White Christmas is one of my all time favorites! I was just watching it the other night admiring the settings/decor/classy look of the past!

22. I couldn’t be happier to see this! I just watched White Christmas on Sunday for my annual Christmas viewing. It doesn’t feel like Christmas without it!

23. Al says:

aw, what’s so bad about Rosemary Clooney? Her glittering oven mitts are not a wardrobe highlight, but I think she’s sweet in this movie.

24. Al says:

Oh, I think I read that wrong. Good! :)

25. allison says:

I LOVE White Christmas!! Its my all time favorite christmas movie and now that im stuck in Florida for christmas i have been watching it lots more to get my snow fix!

26. Joy says:

Best “Living in” ever! That is definitely on my top 5 favorite movies!!

27. Kaylee says:

A White Christmas is my all time favorite Christmas movie! I just watched it yesterday and I think I can almost recite the whole thing. It just doesn’t feel like Christmas until I’ve watched it!

28. One of my favorite Christmas movies! I love all of your choices, great idea!

29. Melissa says:

The bottle brush tree in #11 are not $6 they are $15.95

30. Roseanne says:

1)That amazing red – it’s unlike any other. 2)I think there’s an incredible knotty-pine kitchen at the lodge in the movie.

31. you’ve got that right, this is THE Christmas movie! so much style and charm here, what a great post!!

32. I would kill for a suit like danny’s in the “when you’re dancing” scene. The way he can move in those slacks, they must be uber-comfortable. Don’t get me started about how his shoes are exactly the same color as his suit.

33. Sanna says:

Oh, this is my favourite Christmas movie too, I should see if I can find it on DVD, since I haven’t seen it in ages! Thanks for the reminder :).

34. peaches says:

Ahhh, does it get better than this? Plaid, army wool, plaid, post war furnishings, plaid, New England pine, and more plaid. Love. Love. Love.

Excellent post. Only thing missing is something inspired by those sequined and feathered, powder blue “Sisters” costumes. I feel a lamp shade coming on…

35. Okay, it’s time to pop “White Christmas” into the dvd. I LOVE this movie for so many reasons, but also because it somehow reminds me of Christmas at my paternal grandmother’s house. And the color palette in this movie is just sensational.

36. jasmine says:

FAVORITE!!!!!!!!!!!!

37. Kate says:

LOVE. Some inspiration from the Carousel Club scene would have put this over the top. Related: I know this movie by heart, but only two nights ago did my mother’s friend point out that one of the dancers in the “Love, You Didn’t Do Right By Me” scene is George Chakiris (Bernardo from West Side Story). Ahh!

38. This is one of my all time favorite Christmas Movies, I grew up watching all the old musicals. Love the Sisters Act! You have captured the feel with your choices. I have to go watch it right now!

39. Judith says:

I love the cable knit socks but the link goes to a site in the UK which lists them for £29. That comes to about $45, not $4. Oops.

1. Kate Pruitt says:

All fixed! Thanks for bringing that to our attention Judith :)

40. Karen says:

I discovered D*S this year and am thoroughly enjoying it. In the build up to Christmas though I have been finding some of the clean, extreme pared down “designer” Christmas ideas a little too self conscious and lacking in fun. How lovely then to see this White Christmas piece full of traditional festive fayre, even a bit of sparkle and red thrown in . Ding dong!

41. amy says:

i’m in love with this post!!!! i have loved watching white christmas ever since i would get in trouble for sitting too close to the television. the chic style of vera ellen and rosemary clooney was so wonderfully visionary! sigh………