in the kitchen with: jenny and teri’s no-yeast cake doughnuts

We met Jenny and Teri, the team behind Spoon Fork Bacon, earlier today with their Honey-Rum Fizz.  We thought their recipe for no-yeast cake dougnuts was perfect for the holidays too, especially for those of you who need to prepare something for Santa when he slides down the chimney, or for whoever has present-wrapping duty for those gifts that Santa doesn’t bring.  As Teri and Jenny indicate later, you can really choose any topping you’d like for these, so why not put some festive sprinkles on top?  My favorite are the little silver balls!  This will be our last post until January.  Until then, eat, drink, and be merry!  –Kristina

About Jenny and Teri: Jenny Park is a food stylist and Teri Lyn Fisher is a food and interiors photographer, both based in LA. They both produce Spoon Fork Bacon, a food and drink blog.

The full recipe continues after the jump…

No Yeast Cake Doughnuts
Makes 24

• 1 quart peanut oil (or a 50/50 peanut and vegetable oil blend)
  • doughnuts:
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
  • ½ cup sugar
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • ½ cup whole milk
  • :glaze
  • 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
  • 2 to 4 tablespoons heavy cream (depending on desired consistency)
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • garnishes:
  • 2/3 cup chopped peanuts
  • 2/3 cup shredded coconut
  • 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted

Preheat oil to 365°F.

1. Whisk together the shortening, sugar and egg yolk until well combined.
  2. In another bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
  3. Alternate adding the flour mixture and milk to the yolk mixture until a dough has just formed.
  4. Turn the dough onto a clean surface and knead until smooth, 3 to 5 minutes.
  5. Lightly flour the surface and roll dough until ½ inch thick.
  6. Use a 2 to 2 ½ inch circle cutter to cut out doughnuts, then use a small ½ inch piping tip (or any small ½ inch round you have) to cut out doughnut holes.
  7. Carefully drop 3 to 4 doughnuts at a time into the oil and fry for 1 ½ to 2 minutes, flipping the doughnuts after a minute.
  8. Drain on paper towels and repeat until all the doughnuts have been made. (at this time you can re-roll the scraps to make more doughnuts)

For the glaze: Place powdered sugar, cream and vanilla in a bowl and stir together with a fork until smooth.

To assemble: Dip each doughnut top into the glaze and gently press into either the peanuts or coconuts until they adhere to the glaze. Serve.

For the powdered sugar: Place powdered sugar and a few doughnuts into a paper bag and shake until all the doughnuts have been fully covered. Carefully remove doughnuts from bag and repeat. Serve.

Why Jenny and Teri love this recipe:

We can totally be put on the team of people who love mini things. So mini doughnuts was a no brainer recipe for us. We really love the bite sized version of the real thing, and although we suggest toppings like powdered sugar, peanuts, and coconut, you should really just get crazy with it and experiment with what you think might be good. These little babies go great with coffee (especially coffee spiked with Baileys).

1. The doughnuts are too cute!

2. These look seriously amazing.

3. Elle says:

Or for Hanukkah, when doughnut are actually traditional…

4. These are darling and the powdered sugar and coconut ones look like snow! Festive! Happy holidays & enjoy a well deserved break! I look forward to reading more when you return!

5. Bev Weidner says:

LOOOVE SFB! Hi, ladies!

And those doughnuts, holy Lord.

6. Kasey says:

I love Jenny and Teri’s site. These donuts look amazing!!

7. Kelly says:

Wowooo!!:O I love dessert,and the doughnuts look tasty!!!

8. Rita says:

Donuts are my absolute favorite food. Seriously. My first memories of eating donuts are those little powdery ones you buy at the store. When I was in high school, my friends and I would go to a local bakery after the movies late at night and get fresh, hot, out-of-the-oil donut holes. I don’t eat them now often for obvious reasons, but I truly love them. I will definitely be making these.

9. Looks delicious …..

10. sarah says:

Love the recipe because I am a yeast-o-phobe when it comes to baking. Things don’t seem to rise quite right! This looks awesome.

11. Lani says:

Just made these and they were amazing. Ah. Maze. Ing. Thanks for the recipe!

12. I am loving these NO-YEAST CAKE DOUGHNUTS, very badly!

13. ohhhhhhhhhhhh wow so yummy cake

14. Hannah says:

I made these this morning for my husband and I – WOW! Truly delicious! Thanks for sharing! Love your blog, too :)

I will be posting this recipe on my blog later today, and will obviously credit you guys!

15. Sandy says:

Are they ok the next day? What’s the best way to store them?

16. Jenny says:

Hi Sandy! Yes, these are great for about 3 to 4 days when stored in an airtight container!