the hungry girls’ cookbook + pure green magazine

I can barely contain my excitement about all the amazing small-scale print publications debuting these days! As much as I love working online (and I do), I also love seeing people stretch themselves and put their all into making truly beautiful magazines and books. Two of my new favorites are The Hungry Girls’ Cookbooks and Pure Green Magazine.

The Hungry Girls’ Cookbooks are more like art-based magazines than straightforward cookbooks, and they are handmade, designed and written by three friends, Rachel Pitts (recipes), Katherine Bird (design and illustrations) and Leah Holscher (photography). It’s awesome when friends come together to produce something creative, and these girls have really done it well. Each copy is hand-bound with cloth and made on 100% recycled paper in Australia. Volume 3 just launched last week, and I think they’d make a spectacular gift for the foodie in your life. They celebrate fresh, local food while looking as beautiful as the food is tempting to eat. Click here to check out more online.

Read on about Pure Green Magazine after the jump . . .

Pure Green Magazine is a lovely Canadian print magazine dedicated to stylish green living. This quarterly publication (which is printed on 100% post-consumer paper with vegetable inks) just launched their premier print issue, which focuses on one of my favorite topics: entertaining. In addition to stories on homes, travel and fashion, this issue includes some delicious ideas for cooking. I love being able to flip through pages and tear things out when they look good, and this issue is full of tear-worthy ideas. Click here for more info and to order a subscription online. xo, grace

1. Katie says:

Stunning. I love working with the internet as well, but it will NEVER come close in comparison to holding a actual book or magazine. Way to go!

2. Truly beautiful things are coming down from Canada lately.

Kinfolk, Marche St George, and Old Faithful Shop…yum.

3. Christie says:

What a dream! Three friends and lots of time cooking and making something beautiful! Can’t be that hard to wake up in the morning for that!

4. Laura says:

Everything Pure Green covers is fantastic. I’m a big fan.

5. LOVE that cookbook! So elegant, classy… and filled with some great pics and fonts. I’m a foodie with a nerdy obsession with print. Love it!

6. Susan says:

Hmm. Not to be confused with “Hungry Girl” Lisa Lillien who has also published cookbooks…

7. Shelley says:

Beautiful! Thank you for introducing us to these lovely magazines.

8. Amy says:

They look lovely!.. but they are very expensive ~____~