happy holiday diy wreaths in philly

Last Thursday, Grace and I rented a white cargo van, filled it with boxes and boxes of greenery from the New York City Flower Market and drove to Philadelphia for our last Design*Sponge at Home book tour event. We left early enough to make a lunch stop at Terrain. (And when I say “lunch stop,” I should specify that we both ordered food like it was our last meal. Love that place!). After filling our stomachs, we picked up the embellishments needed to make the wreaths extra special: cotton, pine cone garland and jingle bells. Then we drove to the URBN headquarters just as the sun was setting and spent the evening making wreaths with 100 Philly locals. We came home with boxes of extra greenery, and I’ve already made four more wreaths to give as gifts. (If you didn’t make it to our wreath event, check out these tutorials for making your own: Kate’s Monogram Wreath and Bittersweet & Rosehip Wreath.) — Amy Azzarito

Image above: Making wreaths in Philly. Images by Courtney Apple Photography. See more photos on Facebook!

Image above: Snowflake-themed backdrop by Halligan Norris Smith. Image by Courtney Apple Photography.

Image above: Party time! After our hard wreath-making work, we snacked on caramel popcorn balls, peanut brittle, petite fours, peppermint bark and even hot chocolate — can anyone say sugar high? Backdrop by Halligan Norris Smith. Image by Courtney Apple Photography.

1. Kath Wright says:

Incredible photography.

The wreaths themselves look lovely and leafy, far superior to the tightly compacted holly-heavy wreaths that commercial outlets usually sell. Maybe that’s just a personal opinion, but still. I do much prefer the lush home-made look.

2. These are beautiful! I’ve been procrastinating on making my own wreathes (have all the stuff, but haven’t been out to the yard to clip the greenery) so this post was just the inspiration I needed. Thanks!

3. Susan says:

It was a lovely evening, and I have the wreath as a reminder! Thanks for finishing your crafting tour in Philly, it was great to see you ladies!

1. Grace Bonney says:

thanks for coming, susan! :)

4. Love that turquoise background with D*S on it. Super cute.

5. LindseyBee says:

Everything was so much fun that evening–& I’m happy to report my wreath is still intact & cat-proof :) I’m still craving that hot chocolate–phew! Thanks, Grace & Amy! Such a nice way to end your book tour.

6. Kristina says:

Had the best time ever. Thanks for making it so special, especially both dessert tables, the food and the terrain goodies!

7. Kara says:

Hi, Is there a pattern for the origami stars and cut snow flakes? Would love to make those for our decorations! PS Design*Sponge at Home is the first item on my xmas list.

8. The wreaths are gorgeous and so lush and green. The red and white checked ribbon looks absolutely neat with them. I will definitely make some of my own in the weekend :O))).

9. Michele says:

I am SO glad we made the time to come to the workshop! Georgeous space, great treats and we have a beautiful wreath to show for it. I’ve added Design Sponge at Home to my Christmas list. Nice to meet you, Grace. Happy Holidays! Michele and Mary McC

10. Sorry I missed it, but I’m glad to see Courtney was there to capture the moment!

11. Melissa Paul says:

This was such a fun night, great concept and I’ve taken what I learned and created a cool pussy willow wreath for Spring! Thanks Grace!

12. Jorge says:

did anyone find out where to find a pattern for those paper snowflakes?