diy project: paper snowflake mini-garland

The days until Christmas are dwindling, and I’m certainly feeling the time crunch for handling my gift list and last-minute preparations. I love this quick and easy DIY from Evita of Le Papillon Vert. We’ve featured a couple of Evita’s projects in our Before & After column, and it’s great to see her clean, elegant style again in the form of this paper and thread mini-garland. You could whip up miles of this garland in an hour, making it a great party decoration or embellishment for a pile of gifts. I love the way it looks on these packages, and I really like how little time and materials are needed to pull this off. Thanks for sharing the great idea, Evita! — Kate

Have a DIY project you’d like to share? Shoot me an email with your images right here! (Low res, under 500k per image, please.)

Read the full how-to after the jump!

Materials

• poster board, heavy card or photo stock
  • thread/string & needle (For a twist, you could try red and white baker’s twine.)
  • snowflake punch (ours is the Martha Stewart Nordic Snowflake Punch)

Instructions

1. Cut out snowflakes with the punch. I averaged around 50 per garland.

2. Measure out thread/string. My garlands were around 10 to 12 feet, and I doubled the thread per strand.

3. Thread a large needle and tie a knot at one end of a snowflake. Thread the needle through one hole and then back through another. Slide the snowflake down a bit and continue.

4. Once you’ve reached the desired length, tie off another snowflake at the end and trim any excess thread. I finished off the knot with fabric glue. It’s not necessary, just force of habit.

5. Hang the garland and space the snowflakes to whatever length interval you desire!

Note: We kept the tiny triangular bits that fell out when the snowflakes came out of the punch and used them for paper snow, sprinkling them around one of our candle displays.

6. Use your garlands around the house for a bit of delicate holiday decor, or wrap them around presents for a beautiful way to finish off a wrapped gift.

You’re done!

1. Josie says:

So cute and relatively easy to make by the looks of things.

2. Jessica says:

What a simple and cute wrapping idea!

3. You could also put them through the sewing machine – that would keep their distance more static (if thats your cup of tea) :)

4. Love! So simple and elegant!
    Thanks for the inspiration.

5. I’ve seen punch projects before, but this is the first time I feel like running out and buying one! So cute -and so many ways to use it! A variety of printed papers would make it look very special too. And maybe the kids could help…hmmmm!

6. Evita says:

Thank you so much for featuring my work again! ♥♥♥

7. ruby says:

Like the idea – but it requires me to go out and buy a punch. Not what I want to do the week before Christmas.

8. Yay! I do have a few punches that have been under utilized… I did make a garland one year with simple circles – that I strung together with ribbon. Wish it had gone into the decor box to be used again this year…

9. So elegant and easy. Great idea!

10. Kathy says:

Must go upstairs to my crafts drawers and find that snowflake punch I bought some years back! What a loverly idea…Thanks!

11. Jan Simmons says:

I love this. Definitely going to give it a try!

12. deadlyinlove says:

This is so gorgeous! presents look perfect

13. Tonnita says:

I am going to give it a try !! definitely

14. Kat says:

Did you use brown paper or some kind of ribbon under the snowflakes on the gifts? Whatever it is, I like how it looks a lot and am interested in trying this for the holidays!