weekly wrap up + a simple dockside wedding

We don’t post a ton of weddings, but this small one on Bainbridge Island stood out for me. I always get excited to see a submission from One Love Photo because I know the images will be wonderful. Heather and Jon use classic film and retro cameras to produce the best vintage style photography I’ve seen recently. The result of their immense skill as photographers is that I find myself wanting to hang pictures of a stranger’s wedding on my wall as art. I haven’t done it yet, but you never know. :)

I can’t think of a better pairing for their style of imagery than Michael & Farrah’s wedding with its homey, vintage-inspired touches and beautiful ocean setting. The details are minimal but lovely—a simple pennant garland, a battery operated record player, a dog in a basket, touches of yellow on the bride. It’s inspiring to see a great wedding of this size, and it provides a good reminder that thoughtful editing and a few well chosen details can be hugely successful—in any kind of creative endeavor. Thanks for sharing, Heather & Jon!—Kate

Have a great weekend everyone, and we’ll see you on Monday!

Below is a summary of this week’s highlights:

See more of Farrah & Michael’s  dockside wedding after the jump!

1. Sommer Roman says:

gorgeous. simple. authentic. :)

2. kelly says:

A Boston in a basket!

Also, that dress is amazing. Lovely pics.

3. Meagan says:

EEK! I Grew up dock jumping from that very location! How lovely that someone thought to use it for a wedding.

4. Stunning. Love the little touches which make the wedding unique to the bride and groom. The dog is too cute, yellow shoes divine, and the love very real.

5. Nicole says:

I blogged about the D*S book tour in Atlanta last night :) Can’t wait to read the book!

6. marisa says:

so, so nice!

7. farrah says:

What a thrill to click over for my daily fix of D*S and (surprise) see our wedding! Heather and Jon left us with such sweet reminders of the day. Thank you for spreading the word about their talents.

8. Tania says:

Love the dress, yellow sandals, rustic setting…Everything! If I ever got married again, I’d never do the huge banquet hotel $20K extravaganza again, nice, simple elegant…immediate family only. A one table dinner party.

9. Looks just like a publication wedding: Beautiful clothes (especially the dress), weird angles, a dog in a basket…. Normal stuff I suppose

10. Katie says:

Seriously, I think these wedding posts are my favourite thing on Design*Sponge. I don’t think of myself as a sentimental person, but such beautiful wedding photos like these always leave me smiling.

11. chad says:

Wish we coulda gotten married on Bainbridge Island… being Twin Peaks freaks and all!

12. I love the simple, vintage feel of both the event and the photos. Brilliant. It was really a work of art.

13. These wonderful vintage-y photos remind me of my own tiny backyard wedding~ It was the best time ever, and we danced the night away to records too. :^D

What fun this looks like ~ thanks for sharing, it seems so romantic & sweet.

14. Kiki says:

oh yesssss…… up my (style) road too! For my 2nd (and last!!) wedding I would have loved to have the ‘apéro’ on a boat touring Lake Leman (Lac Léman, Lake Geneva – Switzerland) but sadly it wasn’t an option (wrong time of the year) – LOVE LOVE LOVE those pixies!
    Was the doggie a wedding present or is it already part of the ‘family’? THANKS for sharing the love – I have a smile on my face and a happy ♥
    Congratulations to the happy couple and a ton of love
    ★ Kiki ☆

15. Very sweet wedding! Love James’ photography and the plum cake looks fantastic.

16. Monica says:

Thoughtful and inspiring…beautifully done!

17. Jessica says:

So sweet and simple. All you need is love. <3

18. Elfya says:

Genuinely lovely!!

19. Chris Horne says:

This is what a wedding should be. Absolutely beautiful!! The dog in the basket is adorable!

20. Beautiful wedding for the Bride & Groom, It’s so nice to see Weddings that are all about the most important part, The couple. Who needs all the extras & the stress? Sweet memories of your special day doing things in a way that mean the most to you are far better.

21. Cait says:

Just got married last month, but I still love seeing pictures of unique weddings filled with love that obviously shine out in these photos. Thanks for sharing :-)

22. Carolyn says:

I love the table setting and all of the vintage touches. Her dress is so perfect for this wedding :)

23. Anni says:

Simple weddings are so often some of the most beautiful. Gorgeous! And ohmygoodness, that dog!

24. Wow, there is so much beauty in simplicity. I’d prefer this over an all-out wedding any day.

25. Taryn says:

I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these photos!!! Thanks for ending my search for the perfect photographer. Sure hope they are available for my wedding.

26. Terry Ann says:

ooooooooohhh WOW – thats a wedding i would love to have had, and attend! Its simple and yet full of lovely touches – what a stunning day, and a great idea. Its just what you need to start your journey of love with your special partner!

27. Louise says:

One of our couples are also looking to take some vintage style photographs, would you know what kind of camera Michael and Farrah used?

28. Lois says:

Lovely and sweet!
    Where did they get that portable player? I want to get one for my boyfriend.

29. Leah says:

Anyone know the maker of the wedding dress?