sneak peek: robert kristiansen’s summer home

by

Mary Beth Koeth spent the summer in Oslo, Norway, for her semester abroad in photography studies. While there, she stayed in a fabulous summer home just outside the city that overlooked a fjord. After photographing her summer home, the owner and interior designer, Robert Kristiansen, invited her to shoot his personal home (stay tuned for that Sneak Peek next!). Sounds like an amazing experience overall and a great look into Scandinavian design. Thanks to Robert for opening up his summer home, and to Mary Beth for the fabulous photos! — Anne

Image above: I enjoy mixing and matching pieces. The colors in this room add warmth and bring it to life. I found the yellow cabinet in a friend’s basement, commented on how much I liked it . . . and oddly enough, they were happy to have me take it away!

Image above: The fireplace makes this space. The architecture is just so special.

Image above: Sheepskin is a common thing in Norway. You’ll see it in most Norwegian interiors. It’s cozy and inviting.

The rest of Robert’s Sneak Peek continues after the jump . . .

Image above: How to make a not-so-attractive couch look good in a space? Solution: Throw white blankets, sheepskin and a bunch of pillows on it. It works for me.

Image above: I find a lot of the pieces at estate sales and antique shops. This mirror is from an old church. I bought it at an outdoor market.

Image above: One of my favorite spaces in the house. This home is over 100 years old — the architecture is so unique. It’s like a sculpture. The way the light streams in throughout the day is also pretty incredible. The black and white print of Raphael’s The School of Athens in the right corner of the room was found at a market in Denmark. I love how the arch in the foreground mimics the space.

Image above: The storage in this kitchen is little to none — what you see is what you get. There’s something charming about having it all out on display.

Image above: The definition of cozy. Norwegians are good about making the most out of every inch of space. You see this a lot in older Norwegian homes. This area is really nothing more than a hallway; a hallway that can sleep someone is a lot more useful.

Image above: These two conjoined beds are original to the house and are over a hundred years old. They were an absolute mess when I found them. I restored them with an antique white paint to keep the antique feel.

Image above: Someone gave me the piece on the wall as a gift. I’m so glad that I’ve held on to it all these years.

1. Sylvia says:

I can’t believe there are houses like this that exist. So amazing! I love it so much.

2. phlora says:

The rope rug, where can I find it??

3. This is fantastic! I am so inspired. I love the dining room’s massive arch entry. It’s so unique. And yes, please tell us more on that fabulous rug shown at the feet of the green (sheepskin) covered armchairs.

4. Awww gorgeous! ( Love the drop-leaf table, particularly)

5. Avril says:

I love this! After a week of no power after the October snowstorm here in the NE, I totally see why Scandi countries paint everything (even the floors!) white. Without lightbulbs, my non-white rooms were twice as dark. When you’re getting just a few hours a day of light in the winter in Norway, you’re going to want to maximize it in whatever way you can.

6. Krystin says:

I’m seconding on that rug. I almost am crazy about it to unravel the ikea jute rug and redesign.

7. heather says:

love the sleep nook!

8. Ticky says:

Just my dream house!!

9. Miss B. says:

That fireplace is so charming, love it!

10. I can’t stop drooling! Divine.

11. Dawn says:

I’m smitten.

12. I love everything about this beautiful home! I was so enthralled that I just looked at the photos, I guess I’ll have to go back and read the words!

13. Caitlin says:

Yes, that rope rug! I need to know more about it.

14. Love it but couldn’t live there…those clean whites would be spotted with all kinds of things before long! Absolutely love the fireplace though…amazing!

15. Bethany says:

I too love the rug. It’s gorgeous. And the little bed tucked away in the hallway. So genius!

16. jdanyelle says:

love. i see a thousand pinterests in this homes future…

17. margaret says:

all the eclecticness really works. very inspirational.

18. kathleen says:

ahhhh the rug! would love also to know where it comes from.

19. Charlene says:

I do not usually prefer arches, but that doorway is just wonderful!!!

20. Jennifer says:

Extraordinary. I love it.

21. All of the little nooks are fantastic! Especially the beautiful curved doorway to the bedroom…. Really would like to stay here as a bed and breakfast!! Suppose he’d rent ? ;)

22. Sarah says:

The rug is by Armadillo & Co…..I live in Australia and have seen it stocked in many home wear stores, but it can perhaps be bought online also…

23. Getting the info about the rug from Robert…I’ll get back to you all soon!

24. Wow! The first house was gorgeous, but I am just loving this, that arch!!!

25. Ditto on the rug. So elegant.

26. The rug is from a store in Nesodden, Norway called, Rosenlund atelier.

27. Andrea says:

Oh, this is gorgeous! I don’t know how he could ever leave – I would live here, year in, year out.

28. Kiki says:

AAAAH, that white light, the lightness of the furniture, the white everywhere – and those arches – heaven made in Norway!
    I delight especially over those beds, the ‘master bedroom’ AND the guest-bed…. how ingenious and beautiful – the older I get the less clutter I want (so I must get a lot older yet because I still have tons of lovely, lovely clutter – but I’m working on it!).
    Thanks for this great, great post

29. K says:

Oh, how I love Scandinavian design!

30. tonio says:

finally a white house where i would like to live in! Perfekt!!!

31. Francesca says:

hi guys
    mackeeper is on this page http://www.designsponge.com/2011/11/sneak-peek-robert-kristiansens-summer-home.html and is a virus that collects credit card data – just thought I should mention it

32. Kim Katriina says:

As a Finnish chic I love love love these homes!
    Kiitos kiitos for sharing your spaces with us.

33. Beautiful space, feels original and fresh, yet timeless. I love it. Robert has a beautiful eye.

34. Beth says:

I love how clean and cozy everything looks with all the vintage!

35. Robert says:

Thank you everyone!! Try to make a home where I do find pease for myself and lot of love for my family and friends. Ps. Re this rug… Let`s find out!!!! Tell y0u later, ok.
    Love form Robert

36. Mary Taylor Keates says:

Peasant necessities,the bed built into the hall wall,the conjoined beds, the Irish Settle…What had to suffice,evolved into niches of beauty and sculpture.Timeless
    Mary

37. in love… of course! all things painted white I say!

38. Lorelei Hileman says:

my ideal summer home – just perfect ! i love every detail.

39. SMID says:

Yes you do want to drop everything and go stay there. Beautiful!

40. Debra Matlock says:

I never knew I wanted a Norwegian summer home, but where have you been all my life??

41. Susan L. says:

love the green chairs (with sheepskin).
    love it all!

42. Sophie says:

Simplicity, minimalism, but not without adornment. A worthwhile aspiration which until recently I had not thought possible with two averagely messy children. Who would have thought that white floorboards could work and prove more practical at keeping clear for a teenager than carpet?