living in: secretariat

Secretariat fills the spot in every horse girl’s heart for an underdog victory. The 2010 telling of the Triple Crown winner is quite a looker, scoring high not just in speed but also style. It’s impossible not to root for the amazing mix of horse-girl housewife and southern 1970s, so skeptics, don’t even try. — Amy Merrick

1. Pendleton Blanket, $84; 2. Vintage Horse Trophy, $100; 3. Wire Dome Pendant, $149; 4. Ralph Lauren Jodhpurs, $290; 5. Horse Scarf, $25; 6. Frye Riding Boots, $378; 7. Tiered Tin Basket, $37; 8. Bit Bracelet, $320; 9. Horseshoe Hook, $18; 10. Rake Hook, $24

Read the full post after the jump!

That Penny Chenery pulled off thoroughbred elegance in a decade known for polyester disco pants is worthy of imitation. Her classy southern style, even in the stables, has me hankering to add more horsey goodness to my life. Shiny riding boots, trophies, jockey silks, a dash of mid-century — I’ll cheer her on till the finish line.

1. Scoop Neck Dress, $131; 2. Vintage Horse Pin, $22; 3. Sunburst Clock, $59; 4. Brass Horseshoe Door Knocker, $115; 5. Silver Julep Cup, $104/set of 4; 6. Reclaimed Tray, $38; 7. Opera Glasses, $32; 8. Moller Trolley, $1550; 9. Flokati Rug, $79

1. Katie says:

What a great Living In! I agree that the elegance from this story is so different from the typical view of the 70’s. Love it!

2. Emily says:

I LOVE the Frye riding boots! They are a bit above my budget though, so I Salemarked them for a price I can afford and am hoping I get an email soon saying they have gone on sale. Hey – a girl can dream, right?

3. I’m desperate for you to do a Living In: My Cousin Vinny. How funny would that be? Making the clash of city and country styles work together. Inspiration: Marisa Tomei in that one piece spandex floral jumper and black leather booties on the porch of a wood cabin the middle of nowhere. Or: Joe Pesci in his black leather coat and white sneakers (with no pants) shooting into the woods in the middle of the night.

4. Turquoise says:

Love this images… great post!

5. Shannon says:

ooo, I am so getting that scarf!

6. Katie says:

I have yet to see this movie–I’m a bad Kentuckian! Now I think I’ll have to see it for the visuals alone–although the rolling hills and bluegrass are something I’m lucky enough to see regularly.

7. I’ve never seen this movie but I love the round up! The scarf, the dress, the bar cart — so cute!

8. Ali says:

Hmm.. Those binoculars are so cool!

9. Stacey McCarty says:

If you like equestrian check out a site I just saw posted called oughton limited….awesome!

10. Cara says:

Finally! Being a professional rider leaves me pining for good equestrian style. Well done!

11. Cher says:

Just saw this movie on Sunday and loved it! Such a feel good girl power movie.

12. Awesome pick! I was just talking with my mother about emailing you this as a suggestion. We both love the style that oozes from this movie- and Diane Lane’s hair!

13. Maggie says:

I absolutely love this film.
    It’s more proof that Disney just shouldn’t make sports movies because they make me cry, but that they do a really frickin’ great job.

14. Susie says:

WHOA. This post is amazing. Equestrian style really is timeless. Great finds!

15. Loved this movie. Love the ‘Living In.’ Love this column! :)