jessica helgerson: white brick mediterranean

I’ve got Portland on the brain today because I’m making a big announcement this afternoon about an event I’m working on there next month! So it only seemed fitting to fill today with updates from some of my favorite artists and designers in town. It’s no secret that Jessica Helgerson is my favorite interior designer, and I’m always thrilled to see her new work. She recently finished a project that involved a kitchen remodel and new furnishings for a 1920s Mediterranean-style home in Portland. Jessica used a mix of vintage furniture (reupholstered in brightly colored felt and antique rugs) and custom-designed tables to redecorate the space. I love the coffee table made of walnut “bricks” that’s meant to echo the original brick architecture. What I love so much about Jessica’s work is the way she brings nature into every project. In this particular home, the owner said he’d always imagined a tree on the living room wall, so Jessica designed a sculptural, abstracted tree made from recycled wood lath stained with colorful aniline dyes (image after the jump). All the details are beautiful, but you can read more about the finished project here. One day when I win the lottery, I’m going to buy a home in the hills of Portland and have Jessica work her magic on it. Until then, I’ll continue to live vicariously through all these beautiful projects. Thank you to Jessica for sending this over and to Lincoln Barbour for the photography. xo, grace

More images from Jessica’s project after the jump . . .

1. Rosie says:

Wow! This looks like Jessica went into my dreams and created a house… so so so amazing! Please oh please source everything for me!!! Especially the chairs in the dining room!

2. Dear homeowner,
    I hope the guest room is as nice as the rest of the house. Because I am moving in.

3. Gayenel says:

Beautiful house! Love the kitchen tiles and the amazining doorways into the house. What a lovely place to come home to.

4. Lua says:

Yay to pink, red, and orange! :) Brick and a tile roof. Beams and a solid pre war looking home plus a little room for shoes and stuff. We don’t wear outdoor footwear inside so this would be so wonderful to have an inner sit down place….dreamy. the kitchen and those arches that we can see from the windows…stunning.
    Thank you for submitting. Vicarious enjoyment. Miss living in a big old house. In an old place now, it’s fun, very small though.

5. So crisp and clean : ) ….and colorful!!! Bravo ladies!!!! Now you must tell me where the carpet is from….it would be great in House of Herring TV room… LOL. Miss you. Lucinda will die…she loves orange and pink together.

6. Sharon: the pouf is actually pretty bright orange. we got it at a shop here in town, they just had one, but Tazi Designs in San Francisco has a nice selection. . . we usually get them there

Rosie: the dining chairs we found online at a vintage furniture shop and had them refinished in an ebony stain and reupholstered in 6 different shades of hot colored felt

thanks again for all the sweet comments. happiness = a post on design*sponge :)

7. monica says:

enamored by the color combinations, enamored by the architecture and SO happy for the eye candy! incredibly beautiful!

8. Katie says:

Sorry if I missed it, but anyone know where those fantastically awesome red stools in the kitchen are from? My kitchen counter has been waiting for stools for a year and a half, and I would love to bring some of those home! Thanks!

9. Kinza Ahmed says:

Love these! I love colours and this could work as an inspiration..!

10. Lynn Harland says:

Jesse, Mike and I give you thumbs up!

11. Wow. this place is so inspiring. and thank you for turning me on to Jessica Helgerson’s work. It is amazing!

12. This is one of the best interiors I’ve seen in a long time. Absolutely wonderful.

13. Love this post! Makes me want to move right in!