DIY vertical garden tool from flora grubb

Leave it to the awesome Flora Grubb Gardens to invent a clever new tool for DIY vertical gardens. Tillandsias (air plants, as they are more commonly known) are probably the only plant I can keep alive in my cold, sun-starved apartment. I’m so excited about this nifty little gadget that Flora has just invented: It is a simple metal form with three prongs and a sturdy screw-in base designed for holding air plants and securing to any kind of wall material: wood, cement, plaster — you name it. I think a set of these and some air plants would be the coolest holiday gift for friends and family. Click here to see more pictures and purchase the tool. — Kate

See more images of Flora Grubb’s new DIY airplant installation tool after the jump!

1. homestilo says:

How simple and fun. I could totally see this in an entryway.

2. Nathalie says:

Love how the plants look against wood! Love how this nifty little holder makes it possible!

3. This is perfect! Especially since I just bought my first air plant on Fab the other day – now all I have to do is wait for the little darling to arrive. :)

4. Josie says:

These are amazing. So simple yet beautiful. Love ideas like this.

5. Tina - CreatedWithFire Studios says:

This is amazing, LOVE the look !

6. brenna says:

such a simple and beautiful idea. also, i am in love with the dresser in the first photo… any idea where it came from?

7. seriously, this has to be my garden. I live in a small cottage which is rustic & lovely, to be sure, but it doesn’t get a lot of natural light. And I’m not fabulous at looking after plants either! These look fabulous! Love that first shot with the textures of the plants against the smoothness of the wall.

8. She always comes up with something fantastic. Love this look.

9. What a fantastic idea. I think we could dub this ‘the invention that launched a million walls.’ I can’t wait to order some. Does anyone know the temperature ranges for air plants, if I wanted to put some outside as well?

10. ABOUT 480U7 says:

Simple and functional! It brings a lot of ideas! I like these OPEN projects, that stimulate the creativity!

11. yvonne says:

what a great idea– I wanted to put some plants in my small bedroom and these stars would be the perfect addition@

12. I absolutely love the simplicity of these unique gadgets! I WILL be using these to add some color to my apartment in the upcoming dreary months!

13. jo says:

i freakin love this.

14. Cool idea! Makes the wall look more fresh and lively, and it’s so different from just hanging a painting or sticking wall stickers!

15. Heather says:

I live in FL. can the plants take any sun and heat?

16. Sandy Cook says:

I was just in Boca Raton, Florida and they had these plants tucked in the palm tree crevices everywhere you looked. Many of them were in bloom. So I would say, yes you can grow them in Florida. You just need to give them shade and they need to get a little sun or bright light. That’s why a tree works so well.

17. Linda Morgan says:

I bought a dozen assorted airplants a couple months ago, and i have them tucked into a ceramic planter on the side of a cabinet by the window above the kitchen sink. They get a lot of humidity there, but I also mist them every few days with water. I researched and read to talk them down and water them (I immerse them) thoroughtly. I think this screw in holder is great. I love the glass hanging globes, but misting would mess up the glass.

18. Daniel says:

This is totally awesome and very creative. OMG I like it very much. I would like to set up in my house. But can it grow with litte sun inside the house?

19. Jana says:

This looks amazing. I wish it was possible to get the plants where I live :(

20. Joseph says:

Look great. It’s nice idea to plant inside the house. But I wonder it will provide enough sunlight or we have to use led light?

1. Grace Bonney says:

hi joseph

vertical planters, from my experience, really do best outdoors. they need a lot of light and they’re a bit of a chore to take down and water, so i’d suggest keeping them outside, on a porch or something similar.

1. Joseph says:

Thank you for your answer. I think so we should keep them outside.

21. Tom says:

I really love this idea you know. However, the same to Joseph, will it provide enough sunlight?

22. lykid says:

wow, fanstatic DIY project. Looks great.