diy project: hanging glass globe display

I’ve been obsessed with spherical shapes lately, and I can’t stop buying them in all forms. Wood, metal, glass . . . I even bought a pair of cement “pearl” earrings that I’m very excited about. With spheres on the brain, it’s no wonder I couldn’t resist sharing this super-easy tutorial for a hanging glass globe display from Jenna Pitt.

The best part of this project is how adaptable it is. Painted globes? Neon cords? Metallic cords? Fill the globes with air plants or moss? Add a couple round light bulbs? This can looking amazing in a thousand different ways. If you need something fancy for the holidays or just want to give your decor a little update, I highly recommend trying out this DIY and making it your own. The tool work is quite light, and with a helper, you could finish this in no time. Thanks so much for sharing, Jenna! — Kate

Read the full how-to after the jump!

Materials:

• Wood board (I used a 1′ x 4′ white MDF)
  • Trim
  • Glass bubbles (I got mine here and used 5 large, 10 small)
  • Drill and bits (I used 3/16 and 3/8, but this will depend on the thickness of your string)
  • Screws and dry wall anchors
  • Small finishing nails and nail set or wood glue
  • Caulk or wood filler
  • Paint or stain
  • String or fishing line
  • Ornament toppers (I got mine here because they had some really small ones — 5/16″ wide)

Instructions:

1. After deciding where to hang your bubbles, drill small holes all the way through the board.

2. Then on the back (the side that will be against your ceiling), drill halfway through the board with your larger bit, so each hole looks something like this:

3. Next you’ll need to attach some molding. If you’re more patient than I, feel free to use the glue (it will take a day to set). Or you can hammer small nails in place and then tap them in the rest of the way using a nail set. Then use caulk or wood filler to cover the holes. Sand that down once it dries until it’s smooth. After the holes are drilled and the trim is attached, go ahead and paint or stain it if you want.

4. Take your ornament tops (I spray painted mine black beforehand) and loop your string through it.

5. Stick the metal prongs into the bubble to secure (I also bent the top flat).

6. Thread your string through the holes (from the front to the back, so the bubble is below). Then tie a good knot at the top.

7. When you pull it tight, the knot will hide in the larger hole you drilled, but the smaller hole will keep it from pulling all the way through. Then just trim the top of your strings, and your board will sit flush against the ceiling. (My brilliant husband thought that one up.)

8. Now secure it to your ceiling. We used screws and dry wall anchors to make sure it was really secure (the bubbles are VERY light and delicate, not heavy at all, but better safe than sorry, especially with this much glass involved).

You’re done!! You can see more process images and read more about this project by clicking here.

1. Rachel Tatem says:

That’s so neat! Seems simple enough too.

2. Ng Si Ying says:

It’s beautiful :) will be a wonderful christmas decoration with some sparkling dust inside!

3. Sara says:

Oh my God! this is adorable!!
    Now, if we only put small lightbulbs in them… instant mood setter!!

4. Wow this looks amazing! Great tutorial.

5. This is a fabulous idea! Doesn’t look too tricky either.

6. Carlos says:

I love this. I’m on it

7. Beautiful DIY! Love this bubbly look ;)

8. Ali says:

Great DIY! Pretty slick!

9. Shield says:

This looks gorgeous, and is very, very inspiring. I wish I was familiar enough with the mysteries of the lighting systems :) Thanks!

10. Lovely! So many options for use– easy to keep simple with clear or paint the insides of the globes for something more personal.

11. Sweet! They’re like beautiful floating bubbles.

12. tatiana says:

I feel like this needs to become the new lighting fixture in my dining room… my husband is an electrition so I hope we can figure this out!

13. I also absolutely love spheres – spheres of all types. Your application is almost magical – like blowing bubbles as a kid – or like a grownup kid. Wonderful and makes me smile! I have taken the opposite approach with my latest ball project – instead of light and airy I went with heavy and down to earth. Check out my DIY concrete spheres here – http://www.ashbeedesign.com/2011/08/photographic-study-of-concrete-spheres.html
    I did a tutorial starting here – http://www.ashbeedesign.com/2011/08/photographic-study-of-concrete-spheres.html. I hope you have an outdoor space for some!

14. Kimberly K. says:

Awesome!

Does anyone have a source for neon lamp cords? I’ve always coveted the ones used by this Etsy seller (http://www.etsy.com/listing/72901469/vintage-bvyrant-industrial-lamp-w-neon), but I’ve never been able to find anyone with similar cords that you can buy online.

15. Lydia Lapwing says:

I wouldn’t like to have to dust those every week.

16. Lydia Lapwing says:

I’m also looking for this vibrant lamp cord but in the UK not the US.

17. Stefany says:

Oh my…that’s wonderful…i love it. It looks easy…surelly i’m going to try to do it.
    Thanks for sharing…you guys rock!

18. Lua says:

Bubbles give such a happy feeling. I used to get clear bubble Xmas ornaments but lately haven’t seen the all glass ones so am happy she provided a link. Wonderful.
    Thank you.

19. Kerry says:

This is such a timely DIY; I’ve been wanting to create a collection of bubble lights in our new loft. Anyone able to instruct how to wire light bulbs into the bubbles? And is there anything I need to know about grouping the electrical cords that would extend to the ceiling? I’m imagining my grouping bunched like a group of balloons rather than hanging independently as the bubbles are here. I’m so grateful for any instructions that might come my way!

20. Alicia Johnson says:

Jenna you are amazing! Looks like it’s time for another visit to see this and all your wonderful home decor! Love ya!

21. Lenina says:

So beautiful and delicate! I discovered your website recently but already became a fan! Congratulations!

22. birgit says:

-> kimberly
    they got lovely cords in all kinds and colors finished with lightning fixture …

23. winlove says:

*drooling*..hope I can do this too..need help from hubby maybe?

24. Wye says:

This really is a cool lighting idea.

25. Amy Tobin says:

This has inspired me so much! My mind is a-twirl with ideas! Thanks!

26. Jo Ann says:

A nearby lighting store (high price) has a light fixture that I have been drooling over that has glass bubble like this except that they are colors, blue and green and several on a cord. The light source is a stainless plate at the ceiling with 2 (I think) lights shining down. The owner told me he had reduced the price. It is now $7,800.00. Down from 10 thousand! I work in the mall so I keep an eye on it. That is all the pleasure I will ever get our of it.

27. Anya says:

Looks great! Also, you can add a colored sand if you get tired of the clear balls. Can change colors every now and then :)

28. Adriana says:

I loved this idea, I made one for my home and looks great, thanks for the inspiration. :)

29. Gladis55Fwm says:

When I train companies and corporations worldwide on how to improve management and organization performance, I start off with these 5 laws new and experienced leaders should never ever forget. How we interact with our inner self figure out how we interact with others. A good delivery processes in place permits for these criteria to be.

30. LorriGrullon says:

I don’t know whether it’s just me or if everyone else experiencing issues with your website. It appears like some of the text within your content are running off the screen. Can someone else please provide feedback and let me know if this is happening to them as well? This may be a issue with my internet browser because I’ve had this happen previously. Thanks

1. Grace Bonney says:

hi lorri!

that shouldn’t be happening. can you tell me what browser and version you’re using and on what type of computer? (or device)

grace