big news: the portland bazaar dec 10 + 11!

Today I am thrilled to announce a special project that I’ve been working on since my trip out west this summer: The Portland Bazaar! After an inspiring month spent in Portland, Oregon, I found myself wondering why Portland didn’t have its own version of The Brooklyn Flea. Portland is positively teeming with talented woodworkers, metalsmiths, designers, bakers and chefs, so it seemed like the perfect city to host a recurring curated event that celebrates artisans of all types. I brought up the idea over dinner at Biwa with my friends Matt (Wood & Faulk) and Greg (Antler & Co.), and the three of us decided to team up and start one ourselves! Cut to a few weeks later, and we’d come up with a name, our mission, a list of dream vendors, a location and a date: The Portland Bazaar: December 10th and 11th, 2011!

To kick off the very first Portland Bazaar, we’re holding a curated holiday fair on December 10th and 11th at Sandbox Studio in Portland, Oregon. Our goal is to celebrate the high-quality handmade work being produced in Portland’s incredible creative community. In addition to offering a curated selection of vendors in a wide range of categories — clothing, accessories, home goods, books (Colin Meloy and Carson Ellis will be at the Reading Frenzy booth to sign copies of Wildwood!), music, vintage wares, fine art, food and spirits — the Bazaar will also offer live music performances from local bands, unique demonstrations and classes, including whiskey & gin tastings and DIY workshops on how to make holiday wreaths from Portland flora taught by our own Amy Merrick (stay tuned for class times/signups)!

To complement the excitement happening inside the Bazaar, the street in front of Sandbox Studio will be closed to traffic and lined with some of Portland’s finest food trucks. We aim to provide each and every guest with not only great holiday gift options and DIY ideas but also tasty snacks and drinks.

The Portland Bazaar will feature 50+ carefully chosen sellers who wonderfully represent the city’s creative community, but we are going to add a handful of vendors to the final lineup this week, so if you’re interested in joining us (food carts included), drop us a line right here. Want to join us for some of the best holiday shopping around? The details are below. See you next month! xo, grace

The Portland Bazaar
December 10th + 11th, 2011
9am–6pm both days
Located inside Sandbox Studio (420 NE 9th Avenue, Portland, OR)
More info (full vendor list, maps, etc.) at the Portland Bazaar website

Vendors: Wood & Faulk, Antler & Co., Ampersand, Beam & Anchor, Phloem Studio, The Official OMFG Co., Alder & Co., Frazier & Wing, OLO, Bridge & Burn, Studio Olivine, The Good Flock, Haunt, Satsuma Press, Sketchbook, Pigeon Toe, Poler, Scout Books, Seaworthy, Julianna Swaney, Schoolhouse Electric & Supply Co., Caravan Pacific, stone and honey, Favor Jewelry, Little Otsu, Walnut Studio, Pinball Publishing, Reading Frenzy, Shwood Shop, Beckel Canvas Products, Confectionery, Eden, Grove, Old School Stationers, SPACECRAFT, Maak Soap Lab, Heartwood, Egg Press, Una, Kim Boyce and more . . .
Events: There will be live music performances, craft classes, demonstrations and food/drink tastings each day. Stay tuned for the full schedule and sign-ups.
Food + Drink: The street in front of the Bazaar will be shut down for food trucks and coffee carts serving delicious local treats.

1. Tim says:

@Megan, do you really mean to imply that the LOCAL PORTLAND ARTISANS that constitue 100% of this event are NOT working hard? You are ether blind, deaf or a hater – which is it?

2. Lisa says:

Wait, so am I correct in interpreting that people are mad because there will be TWICE the amount of awesome on one weekend?

I know I’m not the only one who feels that CW is not the appropriate venue for showcasing my work. I was ecstatic to be invited by the bazaar to show and not miss out on the fantastic amt of support our community has for local makers. CW is indeed an institution, which means I would be very surprised if it was affected by another event encouraging the same shop-local principles a stone’s throw away from it (if anything could both not benefit?). It is also my understanding that there will be a shuttle bus going to and from the events to make it easier for people to visit both. Seriously, there’s room for all of us this season – I don’t understand how this conversation has developed into an us vs. them – we have the same goals and mission!

3. Shannon G. says:

SO EXCITED to be a part of this event! As someone who’s new to the Portland, I’m eager to meet my fellow makers and bend their ear about the scene here. There is so much creative energy and talent in this city, I’m glad there are a host of events to showcase it all. We’re having a good time thinking up some fun booth displays, see you soon!

4. Kay says:

Wow Tim. How fascinating that you think PDX artisans are working really hard… but yet might be working really hard on …. worthless, un-rad chotchkies. Your judgement points to an ignorance completely negated by the historical success of that event. You call CW ‘crappy’ but then a day later ‘clarify’ and refer to it as a great event. So what is it, Jekyll? And Jane was spot on by calling you out on attaching your sentiments to a movement active with people that may not necessarily agree with yours at all. BAD TASTE, BRO.
    At any point, without wasting any more time or energy on your self congratulatory douche parade, it bears mentioning that most locals here have no problem supporting multiple art events in the same weekend, particularly when they are locally driven. It’s happened before. Quite frankly and with no offense (you’re totally awesome, Grace…really!), it seems more in line with Portland’s style to shrug off the hype. Portland will support it’s artisans without the pomp and circumstance of being spearheaded by something as ‘far reaching’ as Design*Sponge. I agree that every talented artist should have the opportunity to profit from our community’s willingness and desire to support, but under what circumstances? In a larger city (ahem, like New York perhaps?) a general bolstering effect would definitely occur. However, the fact remains that Portland is not NYC, and this event and it’s timing may well undermine the success of CW this year. I think folks, whether they’re a vendor at CW or not, are entitled to have concern about that without being labeled apathetic, nasty, crabby, or the voice of outrage. At any rate, I’ll see y’all at both events.

5. Yikes! Grace Bonney I for one am REALLY excited about this event, having been a vendor at many different holiday shows in Portland…I hope the arguing taking place here won’t shy you away from coming back! And thanks also to the team of hard workers alongside you. I suppose we all have the right to voice an opinion, and admire Design*Sponge for allowing all the wide range of comments…that takes class ladies and gentlemen! Both shows are fantastic! More for the shoppers!

6. Matt says:

@Kay, If you personally knew Grace, myself or Greg, you would know that none of us have any ‘pomp and circumstance’. We are all just trying to make a fun event for people to enjoy.

@Lisa, thanks for your support and we’re super happy to have you involved. However, there will be no shuttle between the events as we had hoped. We were asked by CW to not provide this service.

7. Hillary says:

I find it amusing that people are complaining about too many events going on at once, whereas i would love to be in Portland able to attend both events. Where I live we dont really have any of these awesome events and I would love the opportunity to attend both! Attacking the organizers who are just trying to open up more opportunities for artisans and vendors is just childish. No one is forcing anyone to go, there are just more choices available now. I think it is a fabulous idea and I hope it inspires more people to start events like this all over the US :) Keep up the good work Design*Sponge Team!

8. Hooray! Can’t wait to see you all at the Portland Bazaar!

9. Tim says:

@Kay – I made a mistake, pretty sure I already apologized for it, what you want me do, beg? Get down on ma knees for ya? Jane spammed this board with straight up lies about the intentions and organization of this event and it pissed me off to the extent that I matched her lies in kind – not sure either of us can cite higher moral ground at this point but at least I retracted my vitriol a bit – please dont defend her. I have friends selling stuff at both events, I was, in the heat of the moment, simply trying to push her buttons ;)

Also, and quite frankly, the idea that my #occupybazzar tag was actually a political statement, and that I am somehow providing confusion within the occupy movement is providing me with a solid St. Nick style chuckle right now. I fully support it, but the last thing the movement has going fro it right now is clarity of message and that has nothing to DO with my post – silly.

Do you REALLY think any single customer plans to spend more than 8 hours on BOTH days at either of these events? Now THAT is really laughable. I realize it’s hard to perceive from the perspective of someone who has a booth at CW (or maybe Jane is just assuming that she would be involved in both events if it they did in fact to fall on a separate weekends?) but most of your customers are going to be at CW for an hour, 2 hours tops – Bazaar wont be stealing any sales from CW, and neither will CW from Bazaar – cant we all just get along?

Happy Holidays,

– Tim

10. I’m SO excited for this. SO. EXCITED.

11. kelsy says:

Seriously can not wait! When will the list of classes offered be made available?

12. Erin says:

Omg grace you read my mind. I love the idea of going to both this event and cw. The more the merrier right? Thanks for bringing this event to pdx! Ps haters will hate. Hope this doesn’t discourage from an event next year.

13. Christine says:

I am SO excited and support this event 100%! Cant wait to see it all and congratulate those who are making it happen. Thank you.

1. Grace Bonney says:

thanks christine! :)

14. this show looks so amazing and wonderful. I’m a bit intimidated by all of the amazing talent.

15. Madeline says:

I think I met you when I asked (during a wreath making workshop) whether or not you knew where I might find a wire wreath frame. You suggested Portland Flower Market in Swan Island, and that if I wanted to join the workshop there might be space the following day? Anyhow, as I walked from you back to my friend who invited me to the bazaar, she said, “oh my gosh! I think that was THE WOMAN WHO ORGANIZED THIS WHOLE THING!” a little in awe that I had the courage to engage you in conversation. I thought, how cool is this that crafters/designers have now reached rock-n-roll celebrity status? And the crazy part is, I’m so out of the ‘loop’ that I didn’t really know this super strong community even existed! The bazaar gave me the same kind of creative kick in the pants that I get every time I have the opportunity to visit NYC. When I see the work of others, I remember that I have this same crafty blood driving me as so many others do, and I feel kind of like I’ve found my kin (as dorky as that sounds!) Bottom line, I left on Saturday, came straight home, and created for hours. I called some friends, planned some creative projects with them, and tweaked my kids rooms here and there before they got back from their dad’s. I got my groove back. Just needed a little reminder of how that felt. Thanks so much.

1. Grace Bonney says:

that just completely made my day- thank you so much for coming and for sharing all of that. :)