2011 design*sponge scholarship!

*Illustration by Julia Rothman

Today I am thrilled to announce the 2011 D*S Scholarship is live! Since the beginning, it has been one of my biggest priorities to celebrate and support the next generation of great artists and designers. Not only because they need our help, but because these are the people were are going to be writing about and being inspired by for years to come. So today I’m thrilled to kick off our fourth annual scholarship with $10,000 to donate to both undergraduate and graduate students! Because we understand that a student’s needs don’t always fit into the categories of tuition and housing, this will remain a no-strings-attached award. These funds may be spent in any way the winners feel best suits their creative needs. Whether that’s paying for an un-paid internship abroad, expensive supplies to test a new medium or financing a dream project- we’re here to help. Here are the details:

We will be awarding eight prizes:

Undergraduate Student Awards: 1st Place ($2,500), 2nd Place ($1,500), 3rd Place ($750), and 4th Place ($250)

Graduate Student Awards: 1st Place ($2,500) 2nd Place ($1,500) 3rd Place ($750) 4th Place ($250)

The scholarship is open to any art & design students (international students are welcome!) that are currently enrolled in a full-time undergraduate or graduate program (Proof of enrollment is required). Please note: all payments will be made in US dollars.

A big thank you to our sponsors this year: West Elm, Perigee Books (A division of Penguin) and Artstream. West Elm has kindly provided our first place prizes for both undergraduate and graduate students, Perigee has kindly provided our second place prizes for both undergraduate and graduate students and Artstream has provided our third and fourth place prizes for both undergraduate and graduate students.

All applications are due Monday, November 28th by 6pm EST (please note the time zone, late entries will not be eligible).

1. Every year when I see the scholarship announcement I feel deeply grateful for the work that you do. Thanks for inspiring us, and helping other become inspirations as well.

2. glenda says:

What an awesome contribution! I forwarded this to a friend with an art student.

3. Amy says:

Wow, this is brilliant! Does this scholarship apply to photography students too?

4. Emily says:

Are fashion design students eligible to apply?

1. Grace Bonney says:

i’m afraid not- this is for design areas that we cover on the site only.

5. Jenna says:

My program is a one year Design Foundation program, would that count? We do graphic, interior, package and industrial design.

1. Grace Bonney says:

are you receiving and undergraduate or graduate degree? if so, yes.

6. Lindsay says:

Grace, I’ve been following Design Sponge for years now and this is truly a big deal to be giving back and encouraging the up and learning arts community. I am just in the process of applying for graduate school in an Industrial design stream and as an international applicant I appreciate you including us in this and I look forward to applying.

7. Elena Koidis says:

Amazing oppurtunity!

8. Haley says:

Thank you!

9. Edel says:

Grace, can you please cover design areas that we can submit?

10. Mariet says:

Can I submit my digital portfolio via email? This is a great opportunity and I’d love to enter, but I don’t have a website yet.

1. Grace Bonney says:

i’m afraid not. but you can upload your images to flickr and submit that link.

11. stacy says:

I’m so glad to see the scholarship back this year! I’m in my second year of a 3year college program that will bridge to another school for the 4th year for my degree in Interior design, do I still qualify?

12. stephaine says:

Grace, can you please kindly cover the topic of works that we have to submit for winning the scholarship? Besides, I am an undergraduate student studying motion media design in major, with advertising as minor, am i eligible to apply?

1. Grace Bonney says:

Any field in fine art that we cover here is eligible. The only area that we don’t really cover is fashion design.

13. Dijana says:

I’m an international art and design student. The problem is all my student documents are written in Cyrillic… Should I ask in the affairs office for an alternative document in English that may serve as proof of enrollment?

1. Grace Bonney says:

Yes please- that would be great :)

14. April says:

So glad to see the Scholarship back again this year, will Art Education be eligible?

1. Grace Bonney says:

I’m afraid it’s not- this is for fine art makers only right now. Sorry :(