sneak peek: shelley goldberg & tony writer

Native New Yorker and textile designer Shelley Goldberg started working in fashion houses before moving into the realm of home design. While she often considers her work “art for the floor,” today’s peek into her Clinton Hill, Brooklyn home demonstrates how the space becomes a palette for larger design experiments. Overall, Shelley considers her aesthetic much more English than American, as she’s heavily influenced by her time spent at Central Saint Martins in London and by her British husband, Tony. The two spent a year exploring Southeast Asia, which also informs Shelley’s style and her use of bright colors and pattern. Many thanks to Shelley and Reven Wurman for the photos! — Anne

Image above: This is a view of the living room from the dining room vantage point. We completely renovated the original wide plank pine floors and sourced matching pieces to repair and enhance it. Orange is my favorite color. I have made the focal point of the room one of my rug designs, and you can see accents of the color throughout the room. Because the living room windows face west, we get amazing afternoon and evening light year round.

Image above: This is the photo wall in my office, which hangs above a vintage mid-century piece of wood and wicker furniture that I had refurbished to match one of my rug designs. The photos are of all the most important people in my life interspersed with images from our Southeast Asia adventures. The green paint up to the chair rail is Benjamin Moore’s Grassy Meadows.

The rest of Shelley and Tony’s Brooklyn home continues after the jump . . .

Image above: This is a view of my son’s room, which faces east and gets amazing morning light (which means he gets up at the crack of dawn each day unless it’s raining!). Again, his floor has one of my rugs, which I designed for a client with my son in mind. I thought it would be a great kids’ rug without feeling too juvenile.

Image above: Part of my dish collection, which hangs above the fireplace mantle in our dining room. I love this collection because it is a great way of combining my interest in pattern design and my husband’s interest in cooking and food presentation. Each dish was either hand picked by me, created by a designer friend or a gift.

Image above: This is an image of our dining room. I love the art in this room. On the far wall is an image by Claire Nereim of California fruits. On the wall to the right of the fireplace is a photo printed on glass made by Jason Miller that we purchased at one of the original supporters of Brooklyn design, the Future Perfect. Above the credenza is a photograph taken by my mother, a professional photographer. What is great about this room is that it opens right on to our deck, which gives the room a great indoor/outdoor quality. I can also sit at the dining room table with a glass of wine while chatting to my husband as he cooks dinner. The paint is Benjamin Moore, but unfortunately, I don’t have the name.

Image above: Part of our bedroom, with the focal point on our bed and a mural I designed. Rather than having a headboard, I preferred to use one of my designs to add color and fun to the room. Many of the rooms in the house have one of my designs on the wall — most of them originally rug designs that I retrofitted to work on a wall. The colors on the bedroom wall mural are Benjamin Moore: Cayman Blue (darker blue), Orange Nectar, Ocean Breeze (lighter blue), Middlebury Brown and Decorator’s White.

Image above: Living room view as seen from the foyer. The mural was originally a rug I designed for West Elm but translated into a mural. The rug and poufs are products I designed for clients. We purchased the sofa 9 years ago at Las Venus, a vintage furniture store in Manhattan. The photo resting on the mantle is another of my mother’s images.

Image above: Second floor bathroom renovated to celebrate the classic townhouse aesthetic. The best thing about this room is showering or bathing while looking out the window at the flowering garden.

Image above: Close up image of the Ingo Maurer Love Notes pendant light my husband gave me for our anniversary. We had all of our friends and family write us notes to hang from the light. One of my favorites is from my grandmother, which she wrote to me on Mother’s Day just before she died.

Image above: The kitchen was designed by Henrybuilt in Seattle and is made of bamboo.

Image above: This is a view of our garden. The image is shot from our deck looking down into the garden, which has a bluestone patio, fences covered with mature rose bushes in springtime and 150 different planted perennials. But you will have to use your imagination, since this shot was taken in early autumn after the glorious rainbow of flowers passed for the season.

1. Wow, they’re blessed with so much great light! Particularly love the kitchen and the kitchen, the bath, & the kid’s room!

2. Anyone have a source for the ceiling light in the living room? It’s perfection! I’ve been looking for something just like that for over our dining room table.

3. The interiors of this home are a dream! It couldn’t be any closer to what I hope to create in my own home. Thanks for sharing! I can’t wait to see more!

4. Meghan says:

ohhhhh apartment envy! :)

5. Rachel says:

Wow, such amazing use of colours throughout the home. The designs are truly inspirational and there is so much personality throughout. I love it.

6. christiana says:

I LOVE your home, Shelley! The mix of patterns and colors seem so well thought out and show so much personality – just gorgeous!

7. Lauren says:

cuteee! love the tipi and the russian doll pillow

8. Gorgeous! As usual. Love it.

9. Susan says:

Such a cool space!!

10. jacquie says:

Very cool place full of tons of interesting pattern and colour. One thing, though. I think such a large bathroom would have benefitted from a larger sink and counter area. You can never have enough hidden storage in a bathroom. Just a thought.

11. Rachel Tatem says:

I love the color and plates!

12. Love this home! Possibly one of my fav’s featured on your blog! Gorgeous.

13. This is amazing and it looks so spacious!! I absolutely love her rugs and use of the color orange!

14. Lee says:

The flooring lends itself so beautifully to your decor. Light yet warm – a perfect marriage – appears to reflect yours!

15. Claude Remains says:

I don’t know where to start! I absolutely love it!! Although orange is not one of my favourite colours (slight understatement) it works so well against the white and with so much light.Your decorative plate collection is divine and such a great idea.And I now have bathroom envy! Stunning!!

16. julia says:

ditto on wanting the source for the round living room pendant light – it’s beautiful! love all the light in this house.

17. Angela says:

I bet D*S is wishing they would have had that front room for the “best or orange” post. So lovely!

18. Kathryn says:

So many great things to “borrow”- really like the plates, the middle eastern derived living room carpet, the striped mural behind the bed, and the sense of whimsy that manages to stay very adult. As well as the colors, I enjoy so much of the white used. Time to get rid of my latte colored living room walls!

19. So happy and colorful! Love it! Especially that first shot with the orange rug and amazing floors.

20. Pam says:

Not positive, but the living room pendant looks like the Moooi “Random”.

21. Lauriz says:

I want that exact kitchen… and livingroom!!!

22. There’s just something about white interiors, orange accents, and wooden floors that force me to stop, stare, and wish it was mine. : )

23. Love that fluffy green pillow.

24. The plates on the wall look amazing!

25. Susan says:

Love everything about it! :)

26. CC says:

Love the patio tables and chairs. Anyone have a resource?

27. Rinna says:

Your son’s room is brilliant! Please, tell me where you got the wigwam and the picture on the wall. Love the rug too :-)

28. Jill says:

Wow, this is a beautiful and truly inspired artist’s home! I too love the rugs, the murals and that plate wall! Do you know where the “a” plate came from? Thanks!

29. Allyn Howard says:

Love this place!!! amazing colors, great light and Shelley’s fabulous designs. Have a soft spot for her office and that little vintage pink seat under pictures hung salon style.

30. I LOVE those wood floors. They call to me. I also love the mural in the living room. Stunning.

31. Kat says:

pretty. Though funky & more modern than my taste, it is restrained. It’s easy to get carried away & this is well done!

32. Quincin says:

I would love to have the mural! Do you sell it?

33. Jené says:

Gorgeous photos! I wanted to read all that you wrote but the color scheme on you blog is impossible on this post for some reason? Anyways still soooo amamzing!

34. Joseph says:

A stunning and cheerful house! Though I feel like the master bedroom could use some different bedding…

35. helen says:

this is divine; i’d move in right now. okay, so eventually i’d switch the kitchen for something with more open shelving, but really, this is dreamy!

36. eva says:

wow crazy livingroom, i like it!

37. jeanie says:

i can’t stop ‘pinning’ this home! it’s almost embarrassing how much i am in love w/ the space.

38. emmme says:

finally a house with some color, and not all these pale and limp “blush” shades! i would love to see ds feature some homes with African textiles sometimes, too.

39. they definitely love design, egg chair, vitra, kartell and of course Moooi! i am in love with that lamp! i have the white one and the black one, bought them like 5 ago so the prices weren’t as high as they are now! always love it when somebody creates an interior full of designer classics but still with a strong identity!

40. alextenbroeck says:

Congrats Shelley + Tony! what a gorgeous, happy home.

41. decotales says:

Love it – bought some very kitsch 70’s plates at an antiques market and haven’t got round to putting them up yet…. now totally inspired to find somewhere to put them!

42. Tamara says:

Shelley, your plate collection display is very inspiring and fun. Would you please share how you hung the plates as I don’t see the tongs of typical plate holders. I have a nice collection I’d like to display but don’t want to damage while hanging. Thank you!

43. hvac says:

I’m so inlove with the design of your house! It is well organized.. I love all the color used! Indeed this so beautiful! Thanks