sneak peek: charity d’amato

by

I always love seeing inside homes that are outside of major cities. Today we’re getting a peek inside the Lakewood, Ohio, home of Charity D’Amato. For the past eight years, Charity has run Chartreuse, a design firm on the west side of Cleveland where she regularly collaborates with amazing designers and clients. And as author of the blog iheartcleveland, she is obviously your go-to gal if you find yourself in the area. Charity describes her style as eclectic and constantly evolving and, like her design work, a balance of old vintage finds mixed with the clean, bright and bold patterns of today. With an eye for detail, she’s collector at heart and is lucky to have Cleveland as the mecca of thrifting and consignment shops. Thanks so much, Charity, and to Downie Photography for the fab photos! — Anne

Image above: I collect portraits of women; they line my mantel and are a constant conversation starter (with friends or even alone). I found the two chairs at an antique store just down the street and thought about reupholstering them until I discovered the Dwell Studio Facet rug; they ended up as a perfect combination of old and new. Plus, my dog “Sir Franklin” thinks they are perfect just how they are.

Image above: I bought the vintage paper from Stash Style, a Cleveland antique pop-up store, and the vintage aluminum state plates were a collection of my grandpa’s. The combination of two old things really puts a modern spin on design. I love coming home every night to this pop of color, pattern and nostalgia.

More of Charity’s beautiful home after the jump!

Image above: Another collection of old frameless mirrors line my bedroom wall, and the warm hue of Martha Stewart’s Ballet Slipper Pink paint is a nice balance of pretty and very grown up. My bedroom is one of the only places where I can find quiet and a sense of calm. While I don’t usually sleep with my dog (he is too early a riser for me!), he does make the best cuddler, and on Saturday mornings, he makes his way under the covers.

Image above: The love of old, of adventure and of travels finds its way into my guest room with my collection of globes and maps. With Restoration Hardware Silver Sage as a background paint color, the collection really has a background to shine against!

Image above: The tufted headboard was found at a thrift store and reupholstered with natural linen and silver tacks for under $100.

Image above: A clean white bath makes a great background for all the fun bath accessories, like party banners (stay calm and party on!) bird cages and, of course, the oodles and oodles of products, makeup and bubbles! A refreshing oasis for sure.

Image above: My make believe “store” has an armoire for my purse collection (also from Stash Style), Billy bookcases from IKEA to fill with shoes and industrial rolling racks for all my clothes. I switch out the center “display” with whatever mood I’m in or whatever fun event is coming up. Having everything displayed in one place is a great way to be creative when getting dressed every day.

Image above: Saturday morning coffee, cupcakes and a good read make every kitchen better. I also collect vintage glassware, from cocktail high balls to an assortment of cake stands.

Image above: Looking for a happy welcome when you come home? A little cut vinyl to the rescue. “Welcome home” when I enter and “hurry back soon” when I leave!

Image above: “Hello there, come inside for a treat!”

1. Capo says:

Really nice and clever collections. Love the women paintings!

2. Justine says:

This is so awesome. Lakewood is my hometown and I’m so happy to see it being represented with such a fun and vibrant home!

3. Kristina says:

It is always fun to get a sneak peak into someone else’s home. I love the two love birds on the pillow and the eclectic style here. Love the yellow rug in front of the fire place as well!

4. Elizabeth says:

Beautiful as always!!! Congrats lady! :)

5. Louise Knight-Gibson says:

This is my favorite sneak peek yet. I love the thoughtful details and relaxed atmosphere of this house. It’s beautiful without being too fussy, perfect!

6. Teresa says:

I LOVE EVERYTHING about this house!

7. Max says:

Love this house! And that dog is so cute! I’m from Ohio so it’s nice to see someone from our state get recognized for style. Her mix of tastes is truly unique.

8. Katie says:

Oh my goodness! This is so darn fabulous, I almost can’t believe it! The chairs in the first picture drew me in, and the touches and furniture selections kept me from wanting to finish reading. I wish this post went on forever!

I love the globes, the headboard, and the chairs the best. Awesome!

9. min hus says:

Holy crap, I want to move in. I love your pink bedroom the most. It is perfection!

10. kristina says:

Love the pug and love what you’ve done with this home! Amazing!

11. Rebecca says:

LOVE THE POST! Maybe I’m partial because…Im her sister;) but honestly, the design she puts into her house is amazing and its so liveable and always fun! Awesome feature

12. Christy says:

I love everything! So much fun!

13. kalanicut says:

Love the Welcome Home & Come Back Soon. Everything is very charming!

14. Rose says:

Wow. Love, love, love, your make believe store. Wish I could get dressed there!

15. Kim Grey says:

What a fabulously colorful home, full of vintage touches and feminine style. I absolutely LOVE the pale pink bedroom. Being an Ohio gal myself, it’s great to see a feature from the Cleveland area!

16. Justine S says:

Love this sneak peek! The home is beautiful, she’s done an amazing job! And it’s super cute her sister wrote in the comments.

HAVE to ask – where did she get the rain-boots seen by the door in the vintage wall paper picture? Did anyone else notice those!

17. Rich says:

I just bought a little cottage up the the street from Chartreuse on Larchmont. Thanks for the inspiration

18. EmmyL says:

I love the idea of your sunglasses stashed in decorative containers by the door—I’ve always wondered what to do with mine. And I also have a collection of kitschy state plates, which I thought no one appreciated but me!

19. trish says:

such a warm oasis of personality!

20. Carolyn says:

Really charming and personal with her collections and her use of color. And I am swooning over her dressing room! I would love to style my outfits in there each morning. The purses displayed in the armoire? I love it!

21. Frances says:

What an inspiring house! Each image brought new surprises, delight and inspiration. I want to visit the make believe store for real. And I adore those state plates. Bravo!

22. kara rane says:

hi Charity*
    as an artist, painter & portrait painter & mostly of women*!,,truly happy to see your dedication to this amazing subject, an art that never goes out of style.

23. Dad D'Amato says:

Great, I love it!!!!

24. anastasia says:

i just keep staring at that closet… amazing!

25. Laura says:

Charity, everything about your home reflects thoughtfulness, creativity and talent. I love what another commenter said – “such a warm oasis of personality”. That couldn’t be more true! CONGRATS on an amazing feature.

26. Allison says:

I need to come over. I’m in love with the bedroom, I need an oasis too

27. Kate says:

I’m from Cleveland (which also happens to be my favorite place to live), so I’m glad to see this feature such a sweet and cheerful place!

28. charity says:

Thank you so much for all the kind words & compliments. I feel very honored to have been a part of the “sneak peak” gang. Thank you to Anne & Amy for the wonderful opportunity!

Justine S. the boots were from Urban Outfitters, I bought them 2 falls ago.

Kara Rane. I would love to see your portraits!

To all my Ohio & Cleveland lovers, it was so fun to represent our city. We’ve got great architecture & style here and it is time for everyone to take note! :)

29. Ana says:

So sweet! I adore that giant closet and her bedroom is awesome. I love the hardwoods + 2 layered carpets in the bedroom. And I loved seeing the pops of Missoni for Target :) Adorable!

30. kathy says:

there’s many things i like here. as far as the decor, my favorite idea is the sticker on either side of your front door. that is perfect! i must say, though, it is your dear sir franklin that really steals the show! glad you let him enjoy the pretty and soft furniture and rug, too! :)

thanks for sharing.

31. eva says:

lovely home! (what a closet! wow)

32. Love the idea of your ‘Make believe store,’ wish I had a full room in my home to dedicate solely to my wardrobe, soooooo fabulous! Your pug is super adorable!

33. Michelle V says:

YAY Charity! Her house is amazing and so is she! She is also one of the best dressers I know – as evident from her picture above. So happy you featured her!

34. Holy crap! That “closet” is phenomenal! I have dreams of a space like that. Love love love your house, Charity! Great article.

35. What a wonderful, joyful home! So many neat little details, so many beautiful treasures. And I love the front door notes. :)

36. Jen says:

beautiful! I especially love the pink bedroom and the messages on the door. I’m going to attempt my own versions!

terrific to see the house of a single person – most of these are couples and I feel left out.

great work!

37. Mary Taylor Keates says:

I am having major Cleveland withdrawal,and then POW,this wonderful home shows up on Design Sponge!Just like the city, the eclectic style,color and l’objets d’arts….perfect!
    The “closet” is the ultimate!

38. Cathy says:

Love the charm and grace of this home. Cleveland is the best place to find incredibly reasonable vintage items (not that I’m biased as a Clevelander!)

39. Olivia T says:

This house made me really happy. What a fun home, full of colour and quirk.

40. Starla Davis says:

I love the portraits of women that line your mantel. I have been searching for such portraits of women or men, but have had no luck finding them. Can you suggest where I might look?

41. Love the décor, the rooms look lived in but clean and crisp, nice pictures.

42. Diane Sutphin says:

Love your creativity!!!!!!
    How refreshing to look through the photos…will share with my daughter, who loves great decorating ideas.

Dean and I sailed with your lovely parents this summer off the coast of Maine!!! What a fun couple.

43. eva says: