living in: practical magic

by

Practical Magic scratches the Halloween itch you might be feeling in an unexpected way. I’ll level with you, the movie is straight up 1990s rom com cheese, so light some candles and lock your man in another room. A pair of gorgeous witch sisters live in the most unbelievable rambling Victorian, casting spells and mixing up potions all while wreaking havoc among the dead and living men they love.   –Amy Merrick

1. Heather botanical illustration, $98; 2. Garlic braid, $18; 3. Batter bowl, $39; 4. Antique rolling pin, $88; 5. Threshold Cabinet, $2498; 6. Serving set, $32; 7. Mauviel copper cookware set, $1000; 8. Beeswax pillar candles, $20; 9. Ironstone platter, $65; Vintage tureen, $295.

See the full post after the jump!

Sandra Bullock’s character is an herbalist, mixing up tinctures and products from the family’s indoor greenhouse. She stashes cut flowers in every corner and I now want to chuck everything I own and listen to nothing but Stevie Nicks loud and proud. If a vision of 1990s witchcraft isn’t enough to tempt you, let their house get you under it’s spell.

1. Antique iron lantern, $2195; 2. Toad in resin, $89; 3. Stone pumpkin, $16; 4. Watering can, $48; 5. Mortar and pestle, $15; 6. Shaker broom, $35; 7. Pruning scissors, $12; 8. Potted Mediterranean plants, $124; 9. Antique desk, $1995; 10. Bell jar cloche, $32; 11. Vintage cloche, $195.

1. Brittany says:

I grew up in love with this movie while I was in high school. Im pretty sure I had the entire movie memorized! Everything in that house was stunning. Thanks for reminding me of this!

2. This is awesome! I LOVE this movie and love the book too, brilliant.

3. great film and great ideas for home decoration! really magic

4. Laura says:

One of my favorite films: I love the relationship between the sisters, the music, the setting, the story…I was just listening to the soundtrack yesterday. I’ll have to watch it on DVD tonight!

5. Kristin says:

This was my favorite movie growing up! I never appreciated the style of it before today, thanks!

6. LindseyBee says:

ok, I HAVE to comment because this is one of my all-time favorite movies. My best friend (who looks like Sandra Bullock, herself) & I would watch this from 5th grade until now, & still dance to “Put the Lime in the Coconut.” Additionally, some of my family are from Salem, MA so the witch history part is so interesting–Hope you all got to see it on ABC Family this past Monday!!

7. Sarah says:

Yep, one of my favorite 90s flicks! Perfect to get you in the mood!

8. Erica says:

one of my all time favorite movie sets! LOVE that house!

9. I absolutely delight in this movie. Cheezy, yes. But such fun! When they all get drunk at midnight around the big old table and dance….reminds me of my mum’s crazy friends when I was a kid.

Uh oh…..I think I may have to watch it again…..lol….

Thanks, Heidi

10. sydney says:

I usually don’t watch movies more than once. However, I could watch Practical Magic once a week. I’m totally the red head. Oh god, that house. And I would love to have aunts like that.

11. Aracely says:

I thought I was the only one who loved this cheesy little movie, I own the DVD too.
    Her botanical shop and packaging are swoon worthy, and that little town Astoria in Oregon is truly picturesque.

thanks for this one!

12. Sally says:

I LOVE this movie and in fact own it. Everything about it is, well, magical. Especially the house. It’s the perfect witch”s house. Who wouldn’t want aunts like those? Aiden Quinn – yep, I’d take him. Lime with the coconut, hell yeah! This is a great post!

13. MuddHutt says:

I love this movie and used to watch it loads when i was younger. Loving the victorian botanical chic!

14. Teresa says:

I hate sounding like a cliche, but the novel on which the fim is based is so much better!

Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman.

If you have never read her you are in for a delight!

15. I love that movie!! This is so great.

16. Cheyenne says:

Woohoo! Loved the movie and the book but, the sets are just epic ♥

17. Ana says:

That house, THAT HOUSE!!! LOVE IT!

18. Julie says:

So much love for this move-it is Halloween-esque in the most perfectly breezy, greenhouse way.

19. Megan says:

I loved the atmosphere in this film! I recently learned that Roman & Williams were the production designers…no wonder it is so amazing!

20. katsola says:

One of my pinboards is named after this movie. I can’t help but watch it every time it comes on TV.

21. Amanda says:

I was so excited to see this Living In. This movie is the reason I want a conservatory in my house!

22. Hayley says:

omg this is perfect! I was just watching this on TV the other night and actually thought it would be really cool if you guys did a “living in” feature on it. Well done!

23. Kat from Jersey says:

Squee! Thanks for this! This movie house, and the one from “Something’s Gotta Give” are my two absolute favorites. I love this movie for its aesthetics alone (that kitchen, I mean *come on*!), but it’s a such fun story, and the rapport between sisters, neices, daughters, aunts, etc., is one of the highlights. How fun are Stockard Channing and Dianne Wiest (“clothing is optional, as you may well remember!”)? And frankly, this is one of the last movies in which Nicole looked like herself!

24. Siri says:

Ahh, this movie always makes me homesick for the San Juans.

25. jessica says:

Cheesy as it may be, I love this movie. With its gorgeous sets, it’s stunning to watch and this post follows suit perfectly. I’ll be taking a little inspiration from this into my new apt and adding the book to my must reads!

26. Ann says:

Love the kitchen in this movie! One of my favorite set rooms.

27. Oh now, I was just thinking, this would be a great film to watch this evening having not watched it for ages. :-)

Things to love: the locale, the great casting of the pairs of sisters (including a very young Evan Rachel Wood with red hair and looking very much like a young Nicole Kidman), Stockard Channing (all-time-favourite actress!), Aidan Quinn, and yes, even though he’s a vile character in this, GORAN VISNJIC!

The house itself reminds me of Edward Hopper paintings, a little… :)

Thanks for another squeal-worthy Living In… post.

28. Andrea says:

This is one of my all time favorite witch movies!

29. Niknak says:

I have to reapeat the sentiment from everyone else – i honestly thought i was the only person who was totally in love with this movie – its’ just now i’m realizing that it wasn’t just the story – it was the backdrop that sucked me in – AWESOME PICK!

P.S. Have you done a ‘Living In’ for the movie ‘The Wedding Date” ? It’s a funny little rom-com with Debra Messing. Most of the movie takes place in England. So