great documentaries to fund

Speaking of plaid, there is a fantastic documentary about Kathleen Hanna being funded over at Kickstarter. I will never forget the first time I heard Bikini Kill. I was at an all-girls summer camp in West Virginia, and a friend made me a mix tape full of great Riot Grrrl music. After repeat listens, my head pretty much exploded with excitement, and my wardrobe exploded with plaid flannel shirts. I will always associate her voice with that age and feeling newly empowered and excited about music. So when I heard that Sini Anderson was raising money to support the completion of The Punk Singer, I immediately chipped in. Sini’s documentary combines 20 years of archival footage with a detailed and personal look at Kathleen’s life. Whether or not Riot Grrrl meant anything to you, Kathleen’s voice (both on and offstage) has made such a huge contribution to the creative community that this is a must-see and must-support. Click here to check out the Kickstarter home page and read more.

Speaking of great documentaries, there is a follow-up being made to the amazing film Herb & Dorothy. If you didn’t see the original documentary, it focuses on the world-class art collection that belongs to two seemingly unlikely owners, a postal worker and librarian named Herb & Dorothy Vogel. It was one of my favorite films of the past few years, and now they’re funding a follow-up called 50×50, which follows the gifting of 50 of the Vogels’ pieces to one museum in each of the 50 states. The project is a massive undertaking, and I am excited to see how it all comes together. I am on my way to fund this one now, so if you’re interested in lending a hand or just learning more, click here to check out the film’s Kickstarter page. xo, grace

1. Karen says:

thanks for the link to the Kathleen Hanna doc – so psyched that it got funded!! what a great important project.

2. Mary Grace Davis says:

All-girls summer camp in West Virginia?! WHO would enjoy such a thing??!! Ha – Grace, I love following your adventures on here – congratulations on everything ;) <3 Fellow Ghany Girl

3. As corny and exaggerated as it may sound, I owe a lot to that woman. I attribute much of my survival through my early teens to Bikini Kill, and other riot grrrl bands that BK led me to check out. Instead of internalizing a lot of crap beyond my control that could have made me into a hopeless train wreck, I found support in that music, and got angry – in the most positive, motivating, productive way possible (if that makes sense). My taste in music may be much more mellow these days, but I will always get goosebumps hearing Kathleen Hanna’s voice, in anything she does! Thanks so much for sharing.

4. Oh, I recently stumbled across the Herb & Dorothy documentary on TV by accident one day and just became engrossed in it… what an amazing couple! That apartment! That collection! Truly amazing… will look out for the follow-up.

5. Arianne says:

We took notice of the same doc! I just wrote a piece about Kickstarter for my organization’s blog.

Please feel free to check it out here: http://www.kindleproject.org/blog/2011/10/13/kickstarter-microphilathropy-and-community-building/

Thanks for sharing!

6. brett b. says:

Another great doc looking for funding is:

Brazillian Guitar Fuzz Bananas

Watch the Trailer, it’s rad!

7. Erica says:

I agree. I saw this documentary at The Hamptons International Film Festival years ago. “Herb & Dorothy” are great “Art Donors” in so many ways. Please, if anything, watch the documentary.

8. Karyn says:

Coincidentally, I just watched Herb and Dorothy today. I loved it. They are amazing people, I admire them tremendously.