diy project: wool camera wrap

by

One thing I’m typically seen lugging around is a camera. Most camera bags are overkill, especially when you just want a bit of protection walking around, or you’re packing a camera in another bag for a short trip. I picked up a nice looking, heavy wool remnant from the Pendleton outlet last weekend, so I figured I could try my hand at a simple camera wrap. Now I’ve got just the right amount of walk-around camera protection without the “tourist look.” — Matt

See the full how-to after the jump!

Making a structured camera with soft fabric is kinda crazy unless you use a stiff liner, so I was aiming for more of a protective wrap. This way, you can relax about making things exact and just enjoy sewing what is essentially a pocket with a flap. You have options for an enclosure; just make sure it doesn’t involve any metal that would mar your camera. I went with a simple strap closure that ties into itself.

Materials

• heavy wool fabric
  • strap material — leather or canvas

Tools

• sewing machine
  • scissors or rotary knife
  • pencil
  • paper

Instructions

1. Start with the pencil and paper and loosely trace the dimensions of your camera. If it’s small and square, easy! If it’s got an external lens, you’ll have more facets to your pattern. I traced the bottom of mine for the lens profile and used that pattern for the bottom and top but added extra for the flap. I traced the back for height and then just measured what a front panel would be and cut a long rectangle to fit.

2. Add about 1/4″ to your traced pieces to compensate for sewing the panels together and to add some wiggle room for you camera. Cut your paper template pieces out and then use them to cut your fabric panels. *Note: If your lens is off-centered, be sure to flip your bottom template over to cut the top panel of fabric.

3. After the fabric was cut, I carefully sewed all pieces together inside out. Sew any raw edges over to prevent fraying. Remember to leave openings for your strap, too. Once all panels are sewn together to your liking, turn the pocket outside in and test with your camera. Since I was using some loosely drawn templates, I did have to tighten the fit with another line of stitching on one edge.

4. For a closure, I’d envisioned using a piece of leather to wrap around the camera and tie into itself. Measure a strap piece long enough to wrap around your camera a couple times and tie to itself. Since I didn’t flip my pattern for the top and bottom flaps (see the *note above), I had a bulge in my bottom panel. Rather than re-sewing another wrap, I found this to be the perfect attachment point for the strap. You could sew your strap on the back, or just find a messed up piece on your design like I did and rivet it in place. If you do use a rivet or another hardware attachment, make sure the rivet cannot touch your camera. Since my rivet uses the outer fabric goof, I was safe.

1. Charlie says:

Love it! I did a similar thing a few years back, but with corduroy. I love the leather detail here, too.

2. Lu says:

nice i would add some linen inside, wool fibers are no good for your lens

3. Rachel Tatem says:

You make it look simple!

4. Oh, Matt, I need you to make me one of these! Ok, fine, I’ll do it myself. I lug around a big camera and often leave the ugly/bulky case at home often which is not good! I have my weekend project now.

5. kitty says:

what if your camera doesnt have an arm strap. would you apply straps the same way you applied the leather enclosure?

6. Whitney says:

I love this case- so unique and not bulky!

7. this is SO incredibly cool! i love the way it looks so discrete! you would never be able to tell that it is holding a camera

8. So cool! I wonder if I could fashion this to work for my big DSLR?

9. SmithRatliff says:

So cool! I wonder if I could fashion this to work for my big DSLR.

10. Lynn says:

I’m taking an old Mamiya 645 to Cambodia in January, and someone, just today, told me that chamois was an excellent cover option in heat and humidity. I think I will combine that advice and this gorgeousness and make something double-layered and sweet. :-)
    That wraparound strap is fabulous!
    Thank you!

11. Suzy says:

That’s a cute little purse :)

12. Matt says:

@kitty – there’s lots of ways to add straps to the case itself, just make sure you don’t have any hardware exposed on the inside. I’d try sewing a strap onto it.

@smithratliff – sure, just sew in a longer snout!

13. I need to do this! My camera bag is SO bulky and literally takes up my entire purse when I lug it around. I end up wrapping my camera in a scarf or used fabric but this is so much more practical!

14. This looks so great! I love how it fits the camera!

15. tincy says:

i love this! what a fashionable way to carry a camera.

16. Michaela says:

What a great and stylish little diy!

17. Love this! I’ve been looking for a slim case for my DSLR for ages – I even took my camera through Europe for 6 weeks in a beanie cos I hate the bags out there. I never thought of making one myself but this looks too easy… time to pull my sewing machine out.

18. Iris says:

I LOVE THIS!!!! Oh, I want to try this so bad. Hmmm.

19. Ashley Sand says:

This is so lovely! I’d like to do it on flower-printed wool sheets of fabric. I’m sure it will turn out awesome! I’d like to share that I’m into making standees. yup, DIY standees. I used mycrafting materials to dress winnie the pooh, and even myself! got the pattern here: http:///www.almostbreathing.com. You have to try it!

20. Wave Avenue says:

this is soo adorable! and it goes GREAT in any outfit!

21. Shelly says:

Great design. I have a huge stash of felted wool from old sweaters and think I’ll make one from that…maybe color blocked!

22. Katie says:

This is something I might just have to try! Very cute and I might just be able to do one that actually fits all the things I want it to fit! Little shot of personality too, magnificent!

23. this is great! i’ve been wanting a small bag for my camera for such a long time. it never occurred to me to make one! but now i think i will!

24. April says:

This is a great idea! Now i know what to do with the extra pendleton i have. Thank you for sharing.

25. marisa says:

anybody know of a good resource for cool, affordable wool material?

26. Anastasia says:

Soooo cute, every camera needs to be in cozy wrap like this!

27. Sandra Joyce says:

Will try to make a bunch of these for friends and family this Christmas. This is really lovely. Thank you so much. :)

28. Olive says:

whoaa! Fantastic! it’s easy to do, thanks for sharing! :)

29. Sarah says:

Total Swoonsville.

30. Dogpackmomma says:

Looks great – u so clever! Happy Trails!

31. Dogpackmomma says:

Such a handsome version! Thanks & Happy Trails!

32. LOVE this!!! will blog about it. Merci!

33. Andrea says:

I want one! This is the next project on my list :)

34. Tiernae Salley says:

What kind of camera is in the very first photograph? It is such a beautiful camera.

35. Matt says:

@tiernae, this was made for an Olympus E-P1

36. loooove this!!! beautiful job! ;)

1. Kate Pruitt says:

Patrik,

Matt from Wood & Faulk is one of our regular DIY contributors, so you will see the projects he makes for us on his site as well! We’re so excited to have him—you can check out all of his DIY project by clicking his name under the title of the post…

37. Susan Schwelke says:

Love this bag, I would like it as a regular size bag. Would need to larger. Would you make them???Really love the look. I was an interior designer, now in the food business, Gluten free and dairy free products.

38. you really need to make these and sell them I would buy a few immediately

39. Nathalie says:

I like! Would be absolutely perfect with my lomography cameras!

40. I was inspired by this project a year ago, and now have a few animal head camera bags for DSLR cameras for sale on etsy! Check it out! Besides the ones you see on the site, there are denim dragon heads coming out and teenage mutant ninja turles!

41. Dina says:

I love it so much! I have some instant camera, slr camera and dslr, might wanna try making this for each of them :) where can you find those beautiful patterned wool fabric? Thanks :)