before & after: attic rental apartment renovation

This Before & After is a great example of how an interior with very little in it can be incredibly stylish — as long as the space and items within it are well designed. The Hier war Goethe nie “Design Aparment” was designed by Mark Pohl and a group of fellow graduates from the Bauhaus University in Weimar, Germany. The concept was to create a rental apartment that also acted as a living showroom, where everything in the apartment is available for purchase. It’s an awesome idea; imagine how cool it would be if you could live with the products you consider buying to gauge their quality and function. I love the look of this minimalist loft space, particularly the home-within-a-home architecture. Fantastic work, Mark! — Kate

Time: 6 months

Basic Steps:
Because we had only slanting walls, I needed the possibility to have vertical planes for the bathroom. So I developed a little house built in the middle of the apartment, with a strict idea: to put a bauhaus into a house!

My advice to all people who have a similar project in mind: Start right away! I had no idea how to renovate a house, but I just did. I bought some books and started working. So in fact, it was a learning by doing! — Mark

1. Rachel Tatem says:

WoW! That’s a huge revamp

2. Maggie says:

Absolutely love this!!! Such an awesome space.

3. Danielle says:

what a perfect little living space! i love it!

4. Very nice!
    Stairs to the attic are always a challenge.. LOVE the balcony too!

5. Stacey says:

I would love to work in that space. Beautiful before and after!

6. Gorgeous! I love a good before & after and this is a killer!

7. mamanpc says:

you did a fantastic job, congratulations!

8. Rinna says:

yep, I’ll have it…now where can I put the baby gates :-)

9. O my… How was that possible?? It looks great!!

10. Jane says:

I LOVE this. If I lived here I would never leave…

11. Amy says:

Very nice, looks very warm and inviting.
    Though I’m confused. Where are the photos of the bathroom with the straight walls? Is something missing?

12. Shannon says:

What a completely gorgeous space! Love the birch in the stairwell. Thanks for sharing.

13. Charlene says:

Wow! Would love to see a full on sneak peak! Beaustiful!

14. Sarah says:

Totally loving this space, amazing transformation!

15. Susanne says:

This made me gasp, it is so incredible.

16. Wave Avenue says:

leaving the exposed truss is indeed a very good decision. it added some personality’ in the room.. also loving the the tree by the stairwell.. (is it painting or wall paper?), either way it’s a nice touch.. <3

17. Cecelia says:

For more views, including the beautiful bathroom, click on the link in the story for “Hier war Goethe nie”.

18. ronald baeren says:

superb renovation and i love the special shaped lightbulb~

19. Katie says:

WOW! x100. This is awesome! I love the use of the new CFL deisgns. I hadn’t seen them as sculpture yet, and I’m SO glad I finally have!

The exposed wood beams, the hardwood floors, the wonder touches of provided furniture… I could go on and on…
    OH! And the way the bathroom works with the sleeping area is GENIUS! This is so frickin’ cool!

20. Ok, that’s awesome! Done just right with white walls, simple wood floors, and just a smidge of color pops where it counts. It makes me wanna live in an attic! haha

21. Hannah says:

It’s an impressive transformation. The light fittings look really cool and I love the exposed timber beams.

22. matthew says:

fantastic work! like them on facebook: hier war Goethe nie

23. Mia says:

I have an attic that I so want to make into a studio, bedroom and bathroom! This is so inspiring!

24. Hilary says:

Mark, sehr schön! Ich kongratuliere!
    I have just one question: what sort of budget did this take? Even just an estimate of what it cost would be great.
    way to go!

25. Mark says:

@hilary: write me to, can`t find your email…

26. Thats incredible!!! Thanks for the post :)

27. Donaville says:

beautiful transformation! i love before & after posts from designsponge :)

28. arnela.o says:

this is great, love it because it s very simple:)

29. Isabel says:

Absolutely love it! I don´t think I had ever seen light bulbs shaped like that, any idea what they are and where to get them? :)

30. Sam says:

very nice…i like it.

31. Gabriel says:

32. i like this small attic apartment with minimalist design

33. Jo Kin says:

WoW, I love it. Superb job!