before & after: ground floor transformation

This ground floor renovation of a client’s home by architect Marianne Amodio is one of my favorite large-scale Before & After projects of recent months. It reminded me that sometimes taking away some of the layers that have been added to an old home can be the best way to help an interior realize its most beautiful state. I love the focus on all the natural, raw materials, and the all-tile bathroom is the perfect ultramodern complement to the minimalist look. I wish my apartment had such good, solid bones to work with, but I think if I took a hammer to my home, I wouldn’t find anything nearly as pretty as this :) Amazing job, Marianne! — Kate

See more of Marianne’s ground floor transformation after the jump!

Time: 9 months

Basic Steps: This renovation was realized with the principle of exposing the layers of history evident in the 1927 home. The contrast between old and new is proudly pronounced: Original red brick fireplaces are revealed, their chalk inscriptions from previous owners left behind; old fir beams find new life as stair treads, and vintage fir planks salvaged from the demolition become a crafted herringbone feature wall. The concrete floor is uncovered, contrasted by shiny new tiles. A spectacular cool blue wet room and powder room adjoin a new master bedroom; the headboard is the vintage brick fireplace.

The advice I have for people who are trying to tackle a similar project is to keep their minds open to the elements that their home has to offer. This old home really had a story to tell, and by paying attention to this heritage, rather than discarding it as old or ugly, we were able to bring in a layer of authentic warmth. I would recommend that people attempt to see things with new eyes — that what we may impertinently disregard as ugly or old can actually contain seeds of real interest. Also, execution is key. Taking something old and re-purposing or refurbishing it takes great care, craftsmanship and attention to detail. We had a wonderful, creative contractor in Novell Construction, who were equally as excited as we were about doing something unique. — Marianne

1. eva says:

whoa, amazing, what a difference!

2. Michelle says:

Truly the best basement reno I have ever seen–it’s very hard to make a basement look like anything other than, well, a basement. This one looks airy, spacious and chic. I will add this to my “one day” dream file for inspiration!

3. Tami says:

“The advice I have for people who are trying to tackle a similar project is to keep their minds open to the elements that their home has to offer. This old home really had a story to tell, and by paying attention to this heritage, rather than discarding it as old or ugly, we were able to bring in a layer of authentic warmth.”

Hallelujah, baby! We see too little of this sentiment on this blog.

4. Beautifully done! I love how the chunky desk mirrors the flooring & steps. The bathroom is sensational!

5. Andreas says:

Amazing work guys! Loving it!

6. mika says:

simple and clean..good air circulation..

7. Jessi says:

So you call that a ‘wet room’? Awesome!! I so want to do that in my next home.

Fantastic redo. Can’t even tell it’s the same place.

8. Yes, yes, yes! I hate to sound like the kids do these days… but that room is so full of win!

9. Sherry says:

No one ever answered about where the toilet went…