before & after: elegant dresser redo

Furniture pieces like this dresser redo make me think there are tons of you out there who could live double lives running successful furniture design or restoration businesses. I’m still sort of amazed that Renee saw the “before” dresser above and had the vision to create the stunning two-tone piece below. I adore that dark sage-gray green she’s chosen, and the finish on the wood is the perfect tone. Truly wonderful job, Renee . . . can you come fix up my furniture? :) — Kate

Read more after the jump!

Time: 7 hours

Cost: $200 (including dresser, hardware and supplies)

Basic Steps: To start, I removed the hardware and gave the dresser a good sanding. I wanted to keep some of the natural wood, so I stained three of the drawers. For the remaining two drawers and dresser, I put on two coats of latex paint and allowed it to fully dry. I then gave the painted parts a light sanding in the areas that would naturally wear out over time and applied a coat of stain on top of the paint. This gave the dresser an old and distressed look. Once everything dried, I put two protective coats of poly on the entire dresser. My advice would be to take your time and to be sure to allow everything to dry between coats. Be creative and have fun with it! — Renee

1. Sherry says:

I have the exact same dresser, only mine as a mirror. I love what you did to this one, I may have to copy.. ;) thanks for the idea.

2. Betsy says:

I have this dresser too! Almost sold it – glad I didn’t. Lines are great, aren’t they? What style is this anyhow?

3. Plaid Oak says:

Really pretty! I love grey and brown together.

4. Ashley says:

I also love the grey and brown together! The only think I would have done differently was kept the top the natural wood and used rubbed bronze pulls. What color grey is this? I’m in the middle of my dresser project, and this has inspired me!

5. Jo Kin says:

Nice mix of styles. Very clever and sophisticated!

6. Darcie says:

Any ideas yet on what paint colour that was?