obsessive compulsive posters

I’m a little torn on this new line of posters that just came out. I’ve seen them pop up in a few places but without much commentary on their message. Aesthetically, I love this clean new line of posters from Hu2, designed by Antoine Tesquier Tedeschi. Part of me gets the joke/comment being made and agrees with the idea a bit because I often feel like I’m obsessing over something (like the angle of a flower arrangement) to a degree that’s not normal. But part of me is really uncomfortable with a giant poster that compares a real (and really difficult) condition to something that’s voluntary. The second poster in the series proclaims that “Schizophrenia is Art” and well, that one just doesn’t sit right with me at all. Maybe most of you will think I’m being overly sensitive, but something about this makes my brain go back and forth between “I love how these look” and “Man, I don’t feel comfortable with the message.” What side of the fence do you guys fall on? I’m curious to hear. xo,¬†grace

1. Hannah D says:

Quite poor taste if you ask me. It’s as bad as making fun of other disabilities.

2. Barbara says:

You’re a class act, Grace. I appreciate your calling attention to this subject.
    If there’s a place for black humor it’s likely to be in the private company of people who truly “get” it at it’s deepest level. Not meant for prime time. Great art may provoke attitude change in a society but the exploitative nature of these posters hardly qualifies them as art.

3. Kimberly S. May says:

I have OCD and I think it’s pretty darn funny…sometimes we have to laugh at ourselves to keep from crying.

4. Patrick D. says:

Liked the comment by Jody of “Fiscal Autism being Awful” that did make me laugh.

I was diagnosed with schizophrenia in 1976 and put on Mellaril and Imprimine, for the most of 6 years after that. Turned out I only had psychosis and hallucinations from drug abuse. Now just 3 weeks ago I got OCPD, disthymia (depression) diagnosis with a list of negative lab results for other pyschical disorders. I am a recovering alcoholic and addict 28 years sober. I have always taken antidepressant meds most of the time for major and disthymia depression and some anti anxiety meds.

I think the schizophrenia remark could of come from either a person trying to flame things implying it a choice to be that or very possibly someone with the disorder who hopes that possibly they have an artistic ability like someone said earlier. Thats because when I was hospitalized in 1976 we did allot of art therapy and later some of those objects I made or painted, when I saw them at home on my parent wall and shelf, made me feel I could accomplish something. Currently as far as I know art therapy is the most popular therapy to get people to become and feel active in a simple and somewhat personalized way. Seeing famous (successful) people with mental illnes in books and now online motivated me to go to college eventually getting a M.S. In Rehabilitation Administration from a top University. I barely pased high school with a D- but that was because I didnt like it and was to dysfuctional at the time to do well in it.

5. Spam says:

OMG. People relax!! That poster is irony / satire.

6. Amanda says:

These are gross. And even if something is meant as irony, that doesn’t automatically make it ok.

7. John U says:

These are really COMPULSIVE.