make & do by mollie greene

Many of you may recognize Mollie Greene’s name from previous mentions here on D*S — when Barb featured Mollie’s paper moose head on Before & After Basics, we were flooded with requests for a paper taxidermy tutorial from Mollie. She graciously agreed, and we were thrilled to share her newspaper taxidermy DIY last fall. Now Mollie is back with super exciting news: She has self-published a book of DIY projects titled Make & Do: Paper Fascinations for Every Occasion.

Make & Do features tons of new paper projects created by Mollie and photographed beautifully by her husband, Aaron. I’m thrilled to try out more of her tutorials, and the book looks like a truly beautiful labor of love. You can pick up a copy of the book here — and hurry because supplies are limited! Congrats, Mollie :) — Kate

1. I am going to need this book!

2. judith b. says:

Looks beautiful…but already sold out! I’m hoping that by popular demand, Mollie will self-publish some more for the clamouring crowds…

3. rebecca says:

Wow self-publishing a whole book, that is true love for what you do! well done it looks amazing x

4. mollie says:

sorry about the sold out notice! there are more available and i just listed them in the shop. thanks everyone!

5. Aimee says:

So thankful for who you are and how gifted he has made you. For glory and beauty.

6. Blake says:

excellent! love the concept & self-publishing is so inspiring. just ordered myself a copy ;)

7. Helena says:

I want one! (And have a friend in mind who might want one too..!) Congratulations on self-publishing such a fun book :)

8. Mollie – this book looks fantastic… I’m a paper junkie – looks like you’ve got some fresh ideas on how I might use some of my stash!!

9. Jem says:

You are beautiful, amazing, and inspiring, Mollie. I can’t wait to see this book! So thankful to have known you.

10. teresita says:

congrats, Mollie! Way to go! the book looks gorgeous!

11. Karen says:

I have put myself on a restriction of buying crafting books, but this one looks so fun and updated. I am going to check it out!

12. Susan says:

So glad I could get a copy of this lovely book!

13. Bobbie says:

I went to go purchase the book because I am kind of an addict for how to books tho I rarely get to do the crafts because I am a painter and have a vintage shop on the side. I stopped short of buying the book after I read this;

” All tutorials in Make & Do: Paper Fascinations for Every Lovely Occasion are intended for personal use only and are prohibited from being reproduced for sale on Etsy or anywhere else. Thank you for not participating in creative thievery!”

I wasn’t planning on making these things and selling them on Etsy, but I was surprised to see a book that teaches how to make crafts and then tells you that if you make them to sell it would be thievery! When I think of craft I think of a tradition that is passed along with each person making it personal or taking it to another place. Can you imagine if the first person to make a quilt would have said not to copy her/him?

14. mollie says:

hi, bobbie. i’m sorry that you’re offended by the idea that an artist wouldn’t want someone to copy her work and sell it as their own. i think most would agree that taking a how-to book and making mass quantities of a piece of art and then selling it as your own creation and design isn’t honest artistry. as for using illustrations and images in magazines and books that are already scribbled on by children, or headed to the landfill, i don’t see any contradiction at all. i personally would prefer to have a book i wrote cut up and given a new life rather than tossed out with the trash. i wrote the book in part because many people ask me how i make what i make and i am happy to share what i know, what i’ve learned, and some of my favorite shapes that i’ve drawn with anyone who wants to make things with them. but i certainly would be sad to see someone pass off my exact designs and drawings as their own, wouldn’t you?

15. kristen says:

It’s not uncommon at all for crafters to share patterns or design for personal use only. Think about it, someone could open up a shop in the 3rd world using cruddy materials and undercut handmade producers greatly! It’s one thing to make a mobile for your kids, it’s another to make 1000 of them.

16. Jeannette says:

That’s a little weird. Most crafters have this as a note in their books. It actually makes sense. Artists get credit for their work. They have for centuries. Of the many freedoms we enjoy in our democratic society, the freedom to create and to have our work valued and protected under the law is an essential liberty for many artists to make a living

“What added to my problem about this was the fact that in her own work the author uses Illustrations that were drawn by someone else that are now out there for free use, and then she sells them. This seems like a contradiction.”
    Do you know what fair use is?
    One of the factors for determining fair use in purpose and character is whether the copyrighted work is transformed into something new or is of new use. I think Mollie’s work is clearly transformative.

Quit being a wet blanket.

17. Bobbie says:

As a painter I have dealt with this on many levels, including teaching, and having people copy my work. The fine arts have a long tradition of every kind of copying imaginable, including some who have been sued recently for it. I have found people who copy are pretty static and limited in their abilities and not a threat. Molly should not be threatened by these copiers, her work far surpasses anything anyone could copy and is obviously always moving and growing. Etsy is full of copiers, I have a vintage shop with a unique look that I have found is being copied a lot, I take it as a challenge to move it up a notch.