living in: clueless

No movie holds more sway in the minds of ladies who came of age in the 1990s than Clueless. We pined for Cher’s wardrobe of totally important designer dresses, seemingly large vocabulary, glossy locks, hot step brother, hosiery, endless supply of lemon Snapples and, most of all, her computer-generated outfit match-maker. Now a good 16 years later (whaat?), most of those things have lost their luster, but the very idea of Cher still looms larger than life. — Amy M.

1. Chalkboard, $35; 2. Brixton Wall Clock, $125; 3. Beckerman Plaid Jacket, $140; 4. Anything Stapler, $39; 5. Library Journal, $22; 6. 80s iPhone Case, $20; 7. Vintage School Chair, $250; 8. Desktop Globe, $39; 9. Thigh-High Socks, $18; 10. Marabou Feather Pen, $6

The second set of stills and another roundup continue after the jump!

My inability to find a beautiful rotating closet for this roundup will go on my permanent record of internet failures. Will you forgive me, and can we let the healing begin? I looked for hours, and all I could find was this as seen on TV disaster. Not Cher-approved. Instead, let’s focus on replicating Cher’s closet fanciness — be it a wacky, organized shoe display, an oversized gilt mirror, an argyle skirt ripped from your most responsible-looking ensemble or a bag that you didn’t, ahem, skin a collie for. To ignore Cher’s influence on our whole adolescence? As if!

1. Vienna Chandelier, $299; 2. Black Beret, $6; 3. Ginger McGann Bag, $300; 4. Sergeant Gold Leaf Mirror, $660; 5. Shoe Wheel Organizer, $107; 6. Sephora Make-Up Brushes, $6+; 7. Pillsbury Pre-Made Cookie Dough, $3; 8. Donnabella Chest, $1650; 9. Mr. Coffee Thermos, $10; 10. Marc by Marc Jacobs Silver Pumps, $380; 11. McGregor Argyle Skirt, $167

1. “And so if the government could just get to the kitchen, rearrange some things, we could certainly party with the Haitians. And in conclusion may I please remind you it does not say R.S.V.P. on the Statue of Liberty. Thank you very much. “

2. Oh how I loved that movie in high school … still do, actually. Love it!

3. Lara says:

Perfect! Adore Cher and co. And so quotable! Still use “toe-up”, “sporadic” and “monet” frequently… :)

4. This movie along with 10 THings was the pinnacle when I was a teenager. There was nothing better than this movie at the time! I loved the stupidity and the romance, ohh to have high socks. It’s kinda sad now tho cause both those movies have someone who died recently, so it’s hard to watch them now.

5. elise says:

this is the most awesome Living In – LOVE IT!

Cher’s style and of course Josh made this movie epic! It changed the way I looked at quiet and mysterious guys forever *sigh*

6. Retrobohem says:

Love this movie, especially the dressing scene in the beginnig. Always dreamt about the shoeweel btw. Congrats with the book!

7. Love!! I always dreamed about having Cher’s closet and went so far as to take pictures of almost every clothing/shoe item I owned at age 12 and put them in a rollodesk. Your closet search sent me on my own search, and I did find this app for the iPhone called Pocket Closet – you can load pics of your clothes, shoes, accessories and virtually try them on – needless to say I’ll be getting this today!

8. Maggy says:

One of my favorite movies! I could probably act this out. My best friend and I STILL quote it. Love this post!!

9. Caitlin Rose says:

To this day it will be my favourite movie! maybe I’ll just veg out and watch it tonight.

10. Kristina says:

Love love this! One of my faves, but I no longer have it because it was on VHS and I got rid of all those. I need to get it on DVD! So many good quotes!

“So, the flannel shirt deal — is that a nod to the crispy Seattle weather, or are you trying to stay warm in front of the refrigerator?”

Dionne: Dude, that was a stop sign.
    Cher: I totally paused!

11. Kat from Jersey says:

This is one of those movies that, every time it comes on TV, I have to stop and watch it! Alicia Silverstone’s hair… covet! And Paul Rudd is still dreamy! I love when Cher puts Josh’s bohemian date in her place, “I think I know Shakespeare!” “Well, I know Mel Gibson, and he didn’t say that, that Polonius guy did.”

12. Shalini says:

‘Bout time. I took my fashion cues from Cher for years!

13. Arturo says:

Tai: You’re a virgin… who CAN’T drive.
    Cher: That was way harsh, Tai.

I LUUUUURVE this movie. And kudos on posting the cookie dough. I still dream of a rotating closet with technological clothes-matching software.

14. Tai: Do you think she’s pretty?
    Cher: No, she’s a full-on Monet.
    Tai: What’s a monet?
    Cher: It’s like a painting, see? From far away, it’s OK, but up close, it’s a big old mess.

By far and away my fave quote from this movie. Love it! Can’t believe you found a yellow plaid jacket.

15. Mary says:

I don’t trust mirrors so I always take polaroids :) love this movie