diy project: leather envelope phone case

As you may know, I have a weakness for tech accessories — especially ones that you can DIY — so it should come as no surprise that when Aimee of SwellMayde offered to share this tutorial, I immediately said yes. Aimee was even kind of enough to make a leather case in the signature D*S color — bright coral! This DIY is super easy; the combination of basic materials and a printable template means even a novice crafter can produce this chic, simple phone case for themselves or as a gift in no time. Thanks for sharing, Aimee! — Kate

Have a DIY project you’d like to share? Shoot me an email with your images right here! (Low res, under 500k per image, please.)

My favorite ideas usually stem from necessity. In this instance, it came from a serious need for a cell phone case, as I looked down at my beaten and battered iPhone. I decided to create a version of my own.  Something simple with clean lines, almost origami-like in its minimalism. And just like any SwellMayde DIY, I wanted to keep it easy to make yet very workable into your everyday life. — Aimee

1. Print out cell phone case pattern. Lay onto leather, tape in place. Use stitching awl to poke holes as marked on the pattern.
2. Cut out pattern.
3. Hand stitch in and out around the leather through the poked holes (will create a dashed line effect, see photo).
4. Then, hand stitch in the same manner to fill in the unstitched areas. Be sure to overlap about 3 stitches to keep the stitches secure. For a more visual tutorial on how to hand stitch leather, click here.
5. Fold over the left and right triangle flaps. Sew together, making sure the 4 poked holes are aligned.
6. Add e6000 glue to the bottom flap, tuck inside, and glue in place.
7. Hold for a few seconds to allow the glue to set in.
You’re done!
  1. Rachel Tatem says:

That’s great! Pretty simple but awesome

2. B says:

Anyone know of any great Philadelphia area sources for leather?

3. moxiemandie says:

Do you have any suggestions of where to buy leather like that? Online is fine!

Thank you. :)

4. Ok I can’t wait to try this DIY! How great. I am thinking I may need to try a version for my laptop!

5. rebecca says:

ooh love it! and loving the coral colour too! looks simple to make but impressive, a definite xmas gift ‘make’ x

6. Marissa says:

This is such a great idea and will make great gifts. I have some old leather bags I’d like to re-purpose. Thanks!

7. Mimi says:

Lovely and simple solution for cell phone protection.

8. Marija says:

Love the tutorial!
    I’d make it from tweed instead of leather though.

Thanks for sharing this!

9. Emily says:

I’m going to add a button at the center! I also think you could elongate the case for a soft eyeglasses case ~

10. amanda says:

What nail polish are you wearing? It’s adorable! :D

11. jamie says:

simply amazing! such a great idea… must make this asap!

12. This is a great idea, i plan to make one and add a cord so i can put it around my neck. I have been wanting a case that I could wear for awhile, this will fit the build. So many times, I go places like ballgames, etc. where I want my phone but don’t want to stuff it in a pocket and don’t like the belt clip options…

13. LOVE this! I happen to have a load of leather samples in need of a project… the stars have aligned! Merci :) Claudine

14. This is a fab tutorial. The finished product is more “oh my” than DIY! Love!

15. MB@YarnUiPhoneAppv1.7 says:

I imagine you could cut up on old ripped up leather jacket for something like this. It’s not clear..but could you sew this on a sewing machine or is this all by hand?

16. Thanks for the amazing comments! Really made my day! I love hearing how you are all going to customize and update the DIY… such great ideas!

@moxiemandie I’m not sure of an online source, but I bought mine at Caldelle in Downtown LA.

@amanda Gumdrop by Orly :)

@MB This is something I mentioned on my blog. I forgot to add this above, but you can absolutely sew the outer stitch using a sewing machine if you choose thin leather. Good call miss! :)

17. Sue says:

Love this idea. My 11 year old grandaughter just said she wanted to make a case for my phone. However she is way into duct tape and I’m going to have her use duct tape at the ‘leather’. I bet it will be great. Thanks

18. Jeff says:

a great on-line source for leather and leather working accessories is:

19. What a cool project! I bet it could be upcycled out of almost anything sturdy, too. Very nice construction!

20. Suneera mendonsa says: