diy project: greeting card organizer

It feels like every year, from Labor Day onward, the days and weeks fly by, and suddenly, the very busy holiday season is upon us! Feeling inspired by memories of back-to-school shopping, getting our supplies organized and anticipating the jam-packed months ahead, we made this very simple greeting card organizer. So many times in the past, we have been delayed a day or a week (or, um, a month . . . ) in sending a gift because we weren’t prepared with a birthday or baby card on hand to include with the package. With this little caddy, we’re going to collect cards all year and make sure each category is always stocked. — bbbcraft sisters

Read the full how-to after the jump!

Materials

• scissors
  • pencil
  • ruler
  • cigar box, shoe box, old recipe box, card file or other small box
  • file folders or thick decorative paper
  • labels

Instructions

1. After you choose your box, make a template for the greeting card dividers. We found small file folders that happened to fit perfectly into one of the many cigar boxes we have collected over the years, but chances are, you’ll need to make a template yourself. Measure the inside of the box and cut out a rectangle in that shape. Be sure to include a tab on the top.

2. Trace the template onto your file folder or decorative paper. One nice thing about using file folders is that tabs are already cut out for you. Be sure to space some tabs on the left, some in the middle and some on the right, just as they would be in your file drawer at home.

3. Write on the tabs or use labels to indicate which cards go in which sections: Birthday, Anniversary, Sympathy, Baby, etc. Another way to organize this could be by month, adding cards that pertain to each month — Christmas, Hanukkah, Easter or Halloween (or, if you’re really on top of things, cards for family or friends who celebrate birthdays or anniversaries that month).

4. Put the files into your box and start collecting and organizing!

1. That’s a really good idea. The “symathy” tab looks like something I would do, too :-)

2. AB says:

Not to be that guy but sympathy is misspelled.

3. Lena says:

I’m sorry to be so nit-picky, but does anyone else see that “sympathy” in the greeting card organizer is misspelled?

4. Rachel Tatem says:

What a great idea! I love anything that keeps stuff organized

5. Janet says:

ooo, super cute. Love this.

6. Haha, yes, sympathy is misspelled, I didn’t even catch that because I was too busy falling in love with this idea! I’ve been needing something like this to keep my growing pile of impulse greeting card buys organized. Love it!

7. alex sanso says:

My deepest condolences on your symathy card. (sorry, couldn’t resist. ;-)

8. Kate Pruitt says:

Thank you to all for pointing out the misspelling! Sometimes in the midst of crafting, a “p” gets lost somewhere :)

9. Jennifer says:

Great idea. I never know how to keep my random cards organized. Just need to find the perfect little box.

10. Sydney says:

I love this! As I’m making the trek to Ikea this weekend, I’ll be keeping an eye out for a box! Now I’m going to need a desk to write all these cards as well as to store the box…. ;)

11. Cassie says:

This is great. Now all it needs is an electronic daily reminder to help me remember special events! Great idea.

12. Gina D says:

Lovely idea! I can’t wait to make it!

13. I seriously need to do this! My cards are jumbled together in a cute box, but no organization. Thanks for this idea!

14. bbbcraft says:

Hi Everyone!

The good news is, the bbbcraft sisters welcomed a new little girl to the family on August 20! The bad news is, that same new mom, a little groggy and one-week postpartum, took on this DIY project and dropped the “p” in sympathy. We hope you forgive our mistake and will have some empathy for the challenges of new motherhood–sleepless spelling included! :)

15. hmr says:

I cannot have any empathy, but I have plenty of emathy. ;) Congrats on the new addition.

@Sydney: Check out these planters. I have a few around the house and use them for everything but plants. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70101010

16. Marcia Terry says:

As a mom of a 2 week old I completely understand! I admire her spirit! I make cards myself but have taken a break from designing for the time being because I’m just too exhausted to see a project through. Kuddos to the awesome mama at BBBCRAFT and Congratulations!!!

17. Susan says:

Bad spellers of the world untie! :-) I once forgot the “r” in a homemade Christmas card.

18. Brit says:

Where are the boxes from? I’ve been looking for some!

19. Oh, I made a greeting card organizer recently, too! It is so handy to have around for those last-minute needs (“It’s your mom’s birthday?!”).

Here’s a look at the one I made:

20. Super cute!! (although you have to keep the cards you purchase limited to what will fit in the recipe file box… luckily I lean towards smaller cards!) As a card designer it warms my heart to see people prepared to deliver great cards at the drop of a hat! This would actually make a lovely gift for a friend that is into hoarding cards too :)

21. nasrene says:

have a box too but will use super idea to separate:) thanku

22. Connie says:

So cute and clever! Love it!

23. Marisol says:

I stumbled upon this site a few days ago and have not been able to pull myself away! I went to 2 different craft stores recently to arm myself with supplies after noting all my favorite DIYs on here! I’m a grad student constantly looking for ways to make my dreary academic life more colorful and beautiful while not overspending my measly stipend, and this site is perfection! thank you for giving me so many fun ideas to run with!! I also have stacks of cards (i love handwritten notes!); now I know what to do with them!

24. Katie says:

This is such a good idea! I’ve had cards floating around forever, and I need a good way to store them and organize them!

25. Jessica says:

Wow, I love this idea!! I have so many greeting cards that all in a box and I’m forever going through it each time it’s time to whip out a card! I will definitely be trying this.

26. Andrea says:

Wonderful idea! I’m going to steal this :) perfect for organising scrapbooking stuff as well!

27. I use the same type of system to organize my vintage greeting card collection. Looks great!

28. Maya says:

OMG – Design*Sponge strikes again! I’m on a ‘pilgrimage’ going backwards through your website pages, and – I kid you not – I was thinking; I must make myself a birthday reminder box, made of index cards…and WHAT do I find today on D*S??? This wonderful post – thank you!

29. Sarah says:

I don’t know about you all, but I prefer “symathy.” It has a great ring to it. I’m going to use it from here on out. Done!

30. marla says:

i have this organized yet in a book…with peoples birthday’s listed by number on the “monthly numbered page”…and there’s a pocket in each month…

31. Alison says:

I know this is an older post and my plan was to use these for something a tad different (coupon organization!) but I was wondering where you found your small folders and their sizing? I’m having a heck of a time trying to find something in a decent price range :(