design*sponge newspaper: digital edition download!

I rarely take a moment to look back on the work we’ve done here at Design*Sponge. I’ve always been more of a “full steam ahead!” type of person. But this has been a summer worth spending a quick second looking back on. We hired our first full time team member, launched a major redesign, published our very first book, are embarking on a 30 city book tour and- just for fun- we created a summer newspaper.

Of all our publishing projects, for some reason this newspaper was the most fun for me. Maybe because it was so spontaneous or maybe because it gave me a chance to spend an extended amount of time with two of our amazing team members, Kate Pruitt and Amy Azzarito. Whatever the reason, this newspaper will always hold a special place in my heart. And even more special was the reaction we got. I hoped people would grab a copy and smile and enjoy a quick flip through over coffee somewhere. But to see so many people sending pictures of themselves with their papers and hear about how much you enjoyed them really, really made my summer. Thank you so much to everyone who hunted down copies in person and shared them with friends.

While this issue was in every possible way a test for us (and a limited one at that), I definitely heard and appreciated your requests for a digital version. For future issues we’ll be focusing on print-only (and making sure everyone who wants a copy can easily get one), but for this special edition, Tonya and Alanna at The Dye Lab (who designed the paper for us) created a PDF version of the paper that you can download and read. So if you’ve been wanting to check out the paper and test out the DIY projects inside, I hope you’ll enjoy this digital version of the paper. Thanks so much again to everyone who helped distribute the paper, was featured in it, the shops who carried it and everyone who helped create it. This really was the most fun summer project ever. xo, grace

DOWNLOAD THE DIGITAL D*S SUMMER NEWSPAPER HERE!

1. congrats on your great summer! hope to see you when you come to SF soon! xo

2. Bri Land says:

Yay!!! Now I don’t have to hunt one down in Houston!

3. SKOOPE says:

Wonderful, congrats on the tours and all the successes thus-far! “Full steam ahead!”

4. Kristen says:

Thanks for sharing the PDF version! I saw all of your tweets about this paper and was jealous I couldnt get my hands on one! :)

5. Alex says:

as a resident of SF’s Outer Sunset, i love all the attention the neighborhood is getting!

1. Grace Bonney says:

thanks alex. your neighborhood rules and totally inspired the whole paper ;)

g

6. cassidy says:

i couldn’t find a print version in my city – is there a reason the pdf version isn’t printable? i would love to be able to print it out!

1. Grace Bonney says:

cassidy

yes, this was designed to be a limited run print project, not a digital project. the only reason we made a digital version was because people sort of demanded it ;)

grace

7. Claire says:

Looking forward to browsing. Sooooo glad to be able to. Was pouting before when I thought I wouldn’t get to see one. Thank you.

8. cassidy says:

understandable! and thank you for posting it – it’s gorgeous. (not surprised.)

9. rebecca says:

Just downloaded and already know im gna love it after just a quick ‘flick’ through!x

10. patricia says:

thank you soooo much.
    I called and drove all over LA to get your newspaper but they were snapped up in minutes.

11. nicswife says:

Yayyyy!!! I’m so excited to read it! My husband and I are living in northwest Montana for a few months, so I couldn’t get my hands on a copy… thanks for making it available!

12. Katherine says:

Thanks so much for posting this! I, too, looked all over LA without luck. The digital copy is just lovely.

13. I was so sad that I wouldn’t find the paper locally, but now I am super excited to read it without having to leave to couch! Thanks so much!!

14. Helena says:

My book is running late from Amazon, so this will help me get my d*s fix, yay!

15. Rachel says:

Hi,

I was lurker of your blog awhile ago and than I took a break from your blog. Now I rediscovered you again when I heard about the Design Newspaper! Thanks for the PDF file as I’m in Florida and their no copies avaialble. Look forward to reading your blog regularly and getting print of Design Sponge Newspaper in the future!

Bye Rachel

16. JSKF says:

I’m really bummed that I can print the digital version. I don’t have access to the print version because I live in a place where they aren’t available. It’s hard to read in the digital version and I was looking forward to printing it and then spending an afternoon reading it. I don’t understand why it was only meant to be a print version when a majority of your readers don’t have access to obtaining it. I feel like I’m being punished for not living in a hip city.

1. Grace Bonney says:

JSFK

Well the feeling’s mutual. After putting out a free newspaper and a free blog for 7 years I feel like i’m being punished for trying to do a test run of something and doing the best I could to get a version out to everyone. I don’t think a digital version (which you can expand and see pretty large, easily readable) is by any means depriving someone of this project.

Grace

17. suze says:

Grace, a big thank you for the digital goodness! The entire newspaper allotment for PDX must have disappeared in minutes because I wasn’t able to get my hands on it. Till now, of course :)
    Continued success!

18. Lauren says:

The newspaper is fabulous! Thank you d*sponge team for all of your hard work. Can’t wait for the book tour!

19. Leslie says:

I was really tickled to get the next to last copy of the print version at Need Supply Co. in Richmond! It’s nice that you put out a PDF one so that other people can take a look too.

20. Girlie says:

I do understand the frustration of not being able to have a paper copy in my hands, but I’m glad you were able to provide a PDF version to your readers. For any future prints, please don’t forget about Canada (particularly the West Coast)!

21. Christina says:

Thanks for a digital download! Yay!

22. kristina says:

I LOVE this newspaper. It is PERFECTLY edited. Not too much dragging on and on and on and on on one single project. It screams summer, the colors are great, the design is great, it’s just AMAZING! The only thing missing is a recipe or two… Tee hee! Just kidding.

I LOVE the digital version!!!! I love seeing it on the screen!

I’m not surprised that you could do this fantastic project Grace, Amy, and Kate. I am just envious that I couldn’t work on it with you! Time for me to move back to the US…

23. Amy says:

Thank you for giving us access to the digital version! The paper copies went so fast, I was so disappointed. But, I did a little happy jig when I saw the digital version available! ThankyouThankyou!

It must feel pretty good to get this great of a response (even with the grouchy “I didn’t get a paper copy” comments :-) I actually appreciate the words “Limited Edition”…limited being the key word there. Makes it more exciting!!

24. Lindsey says:

Grace, Thanks for making the PDF available! You are appreciated! A cup of coffee and this blog is my daily/weekly treat, and as the blog is in digital form, I am already accustomed to seeing Design Sponge this way! Congratulations on all your successes and projects! I can’t wait to see what is next!

25. Kelly says:

For the folks moaning about printing being disabled, please notice that the dimensions of the paper are 11.25×15. Assuming that you don’t have a tabloid size printer in your house, you’d have to scale the PDF to fit legal, the next standard size, which would make the body text illegible. I suppose you could’ve printed it in tiles and scotch taped it back together but that sort of defeats the purpose of elegant design, doesn’t it? Thanks very much for making the digital version available. I design publications and always love to see what others have achieved.

26. Krissy says:

Yay!! Thank you so much for offering this as a digital download, Grace! :D

27. Kelsey says:

Thanks for access to the digital version! Love the leather coasters! Does anyone know where you can buy blank leather circles?

28. Brittany says:

What font did you use for the table of contents and headers? I’m falling head over heels for it! Also, I want to thank you for putting out this digital version- really appreciate it!

29. Deebi27 says:

Thankz for the digi newspaper it really helped to make me feel better. A manager at Fido in Nashville was to save a newspaper for me. :) When my SASE got to the coffee house, my paper had dissappeared. The mgr. I spoke to the manager and he apolgized for the loss of the missing newspaper. Unfortunately $1.50 worth of stamps went with the SASE!

30. Hallie says:

Is there a summer playlist to download along with this? I can’t seem to find it.