before & after: painted geometric rug

It’s awesome to see the DIY painted-rug trend blowing up these days, especially because rugs can be one of the hardest things to shop for — there are so many ugly rugs out there, and the best-looking ones always seem too expensive. This isn’t the first project Holly has shared with us — we featured the cool hand-painted wall design in her bedroom and the brass pendant light in her hall. Now she’s turned her attention to the dining room and added a cool mod pattern to an inexpensive IKEA rug. According to her friends and family, the rug remains super soft and pliable, and it cost Holly a mere fraction of what rugs with this design go for. Great work, Holly! — Kate

Read more about Holly’s geometric painted rug after the jump!

Time: 2.5 hours

Cost: $60 (for rug and supplies)

Basic Steps: I sketched the design out on a piece of paper, taped a border on the rug in order to achieve more of a straight right angle than the rug was giving (it was a smidge uneven as most rugs are at the edge). I then measured the space I had to work with and created equal dimensions for the design from there.  I then taped out all of the long lines so this way everything would stay as symmetrical as possible. Then I cut the tape I did not want in the design out with an exacto (as it was only there to guide me) and then I mixed the latex paint with fabric medium at as close to a 1:1 ratio as I could. I am glad I used the fabric medium because the rug feels great and there is no flaking and it is not crusty and hard. I rolled the paint onto the rug and covered ever bit of the white that I could. I waited overnight for it to dry just to be safe and then I pulled off the green tape. My advice is to not skimp out on the type of tape that you use as well as the fabric medium because it really makes all the difference.Holly

1. pam says:

what kind of tape would you suggest? so nice :) i love it j adler love!

2. susan says:

very nice and what a great way to recycle a rug

3. Ingrid says:

“…specially because rugs can be one of the hardest things to shop for — there are so many ugly rugs out there, and the best-looking ones always seem too expensive.” Story of my current budget-decorating LIFE.

4. Hong says:

Yet, another great inspiration! Thank you!

5. name (required) says:

This one that I need it. Thank you

6. Sarah says:

I did it! We chose to do a brick like pattern in a blue-gray with a couple accent bricks in loud colors. It looks great in our dinning room. Thanks!

1. Grace Bonney says:

great work sarah! we’d love to see a picture if you’re game to share :)

7. sarah- glad you were able to successfully follow my directions :) i just finished a really cool geometric starburst design in a painted rug. you can check that one out here!

8. missy says:

yikes… ikea doesn’t show this rug online anymore… does anyone know if it is still in the store?

9. Rugs says:

Great article, I have never seen this done before, I am very interest in the paint you used, I would of thought paint on a rug would flake and crack. Good Reading.

10. Chris Horne says:

Just saw your beautiful rugs, I can’t wait to try something like this.

11. eva says:

argh! the starburst rug is so amazing! I absolutely love traditional Japanese patterns, and the asanoha is one of my favorites. Gotta make this rug. So grateful for this post!

12. Girl Scout mom says:

Thank you, thank you for blogging this! I wasn’t sure if textile medium mixed well with latex paint. The instructions on bottle of medium says to mix w/ acrylic craft paint. But I’m glad to see that it works well.

13. Dawn says:

Pam,it looks as though it was FROG painting tape that she used. I have some & it comes in a plastic container. Walmart, Lowes, HD all have it :)

14. Ashli Nixon says:

Hi there! Just wanted to let you know that I tried this and I LOVE how my rug turned out! Here’s a picture of it: :)

15. Lindsey lost in Europe says:

Hi, what a lovely idea to customise the look of a room. I am just at a bit of a loss as to what fabric medium is and where I would purchase it. Thanks Lindsey