we like it wild: inspiration yosemite

We just returned from our annual Yosemite getaway, and our minds are still frolicking in the sunny meadows and on shadowy forest paths. People often ask us where we get our ideas for different color palettes and texture combinations — here’s one place! We put a collection of flowers together this week inspired by the soft grasses, purplish mountains, wild berries and pods, and feathery friends that caught our eye on the trip. Check out our tips on how to translate the feeling of your favorite places into decor for your next event after the jump! — Studio Choo

The full post continues after the jump . . .

When you find a place or object of interest, take notes about the sights and smells around you. It is not necessary to use exactly the same types of flowers and plants you see when you make your arrangements; you mostly want to capture the overall quality of your inspiration. It should be a creative jumping-off point that can help you choose materials you might not typically reach for and use them in different combinations. For example, we didn’t see any chocolate cosmos in Yosemite, but the deep brown color perfectly captured the shadowy woodland accent we were looking for.

We created this simple display in the shop by using single stems and small groupings designed to highlight the features we liked most about each flower. The natural rock vases worked perfectly, but you definitely don’t have to be so literal with container choices. When choosing vessels, you can select a color from your inspiration (brown glass also worked well for us) or a texture (maybe a wood chunk or woven basket) or even stick with plain old clear glass to make the flowers stand out.

Take photos of details that you find interesting! These will come in handy when choosing materials for your arrangements. Sometimes we print out a little inspiration thumbnail page and carry it around the market with us. A quick glance at the overall look of the page can be a big help if you get stuck.

Once you’ve collected your materials, it is up to you to decide how to put it all together. You can assemble the ingredients separately into a display or table-arrangement grouping like we did on the shelves above or create a lush and wild bouquet combining all your elements! In our bouquet, we loosely gathered

• Purple and pink lupin: They grow wild in Yosemite, and the color worked well for the “purple mountains.”
  • Two different grasses: Hello, meadows.
  • Blackberries and nigella pods: texture and woodland weirdness
  • Two different ferns: We saw lots of these on the trip!
  • Purple astilbe: gorgeous color and fuzzy texture
  • Chocolate cosmos: dark, rich shadows

Here’s to getting out there and seeing the world. See you next month!

1. jesse says:

absolutely gorgeous!

2. Kate O says:

Beautiful pictures! Lupins just might be my favorite flower, and always remind me of my favorite children’s book, Miss Rumphius. In my neck of the woods they are always blooming right around Father’s Day – they seem to grow practically everywhere and reseed like crazy. Love!

3. MB@YarnUiPhoneAppv1.6 says:

Ooh. I want those stone vases. So pretty and so spartan. Where can I get?

4. Alyssa says:

This is a beautiful post.

5. meg says:

LOVE this post…and Kate O…Loved the book Miss Rumphius too when I was little!

I felt like I was right there on the hike….too bad little chipmunk and birdy couldn’t come back.

6. sarah says:

beautiful flowers and area of the world. we didn’t make it back to yosemite this year but i’m hoping to go again :)

7. Karen says:

Wha??? I’ve never seen Lupine in an arrangement like this because it’s illegal to pick them in Texas! The Bluebonnet is our state flower, and I’m so excited to see how beautifully you’ve used them here!

8. Jennifer says:

Marvelous, interesting and inspiring post. Love the photos and the ideas. Thank you!

9. MEL says:

10. Judy says:

It is illegal in many state and national parks to pick wildlfowers, so I hope the wildflowers in some of the photos were not from the park. But the photos were gorgeous.

1. Grace Bonney says:

as the girls mentioned in the post above, this arrangement was inspired by yosemite. they did not take pieces from it.

11. Brittany Kay says:

I have traveled to many places around the world, but I still maintain that Yosemite is the most beautiful place that I have ever seen. I hiked Half Dome about a year ago with my dad and we talk about it on a VERY regular basis.

Beautiful flower choices. This makes me want to go back right away!

12. This is just gorgeous! I need to find a field of wildflowers to frolic and roll around in now.

13. Rosie says:

So wild and beautiful….stunning!

14. Anthea says:

Your post is inspirational, Thank you.

15. trouble says:

Beautiful photos. ^ ^

16. This is absolutely gorgeous! Love the whimsical quality. I can imagine have a stone cottage in between the forest, fields and mountains. It makes me want to become a nature-loving hermit! Beautiful!

17. Brie says:

My favorite “We Like It Wild” post yet! Looking at those arrangements makes me feel sentimental for Yosemite and I haven’t even visited the park before!

18. Lohasrus says:

Yosemite is amazing! And your photos are absolutely gorgeous!