the good life cookbook

Normally, I wait until Friday to post anything food related, but I couldn’t resist this gorgeous new book. Suzy from A Friend of Mine design studio in Melbourne sent over this beautiful new cookbook that Pan Macmillan publishers asked her to design and art direct. The Good Life is the latest cookbook from chef Adrian Richardson of La Luna Restaurant. Packed with delicious recipes, the design rose to the occasion and features hand-drawn titles made from theme-appropriate materials like flour and pastry. The photography is rich and saturated (my favorite for a cookbook — I hate it when food is over lit), and the type blends seamlessly into the layout.

My favorite detail of the book design is the way the tablecloth (featured on the cover) extends inside the book as the bookmark ribbon. If you’re looking for a stunning new cookbook to add to your library, click here to read more about The Good Life (the book will be in stores and online later this month). Congrats to Suzy and the team at A Friend of Mine on a really spectacular design. xo, grace

Photographs by John Laurie. Props and food styling by Simon Bajada.

More images from the book continue after the jump . . .

1. Rachel Tatem says:

What a neat idea for a cookbook

2. Katherine says:

This is one of the most beautiful cookbooks I’ve ever seen! It looks like a wonderful nod to traditional home-cooked meals of the 1950s and I love the flour scatters and gingham bookmark! Adding this beauty to my wish list :)

3. Molly Cooper says:

Oh, oh oh. My goodness. I’d buy that book for the type and design alone, then I get recipes to boot!! What a truly stunning cookbook, that’s going in my kitchen as soon as possible. Thank you for sharing!

4. Heather says:

I would buy that book just for how beautiful it is!

5. Leslie Bernal says:

I’m not a cook but I am a designer and this would fit alongside my favorite design books. What a beautifully designed book, I love the type!

6. Sarah Palisi says:

How very beautiful, makes me smile

7. matrjoschki says:

there are great ideas for my russian cookbook which i’m designing just now.

8. Annie Campos says:

it’s on the wishlist now!

9. Very nice lookin’ cookbook. And *agreed* on the hatred of overlit, blown out food photography. Foodgawker could learn a bit from this cookbook and its lighting. ~ karen!

10. Turner Lewis says:

That ice cream page…to die for. Looks edible right now.

11. MB@YarnUiPhoneApp says:

I’m with you on the food photography and styling in this book. I might have to check it out now! I go to sleep reading these books. It beats hitting the fridge at 10 p.m.

12. danielle says:

I love books that really break away from the 2-dimensional . Great design. Wonderful photographs.

13. I love this cookbook– so artistic and fun — it’s on my list! thanks

14. Bev Weidner says:

That is ONE good looking cookbook, dear God! NEED.

15. stacy says:

Definitely getting a copy- I love it! thanks!

16. Absolutely lovely- can’t wait to get it! Thanks for breaking your routine and posting about food on Tuesday! :)

17. What beautiful design and food!

18. Katie says:

It’s so gorgeous!!

19. Bridget says:

What a beautiful cookbook!

20. Vino says:

I think the team at Plum (Pan Macmillan) did an amazing job with this book. I can’t wait to see what else they come up with.

21. Virginia says:

i’d better not buy this book- i would dive right in and be lost for days! :)

22. Caatherine says:

I have just bought the Good Life and can not put it down. I brought it from La Luna Bistro after reading your post and the chef/author Adrian Richardson signed it for me and posted it to me. The pictures are amazing and I am hopefully going to get to cook something this weekend

23. Kimberley says:

Wow, the photography is stunning. It’s funny how there are two schools of thought where food photography is concerned (those preferring bright/those preferring dark and saturated). I’m trying to get more comfortable with letting in a little more shadow in my own work.

24. Nieves says:

I want this book so much!!!!! I can’t find it in Amazon… where can I get it from Switzerland?? thanks!!

25. Anthea says:

Yep just love the flour smudges

26. claire says:

I like it already! I can’t wait to get my copy & start cooking (after appreciating each beautiful page)!

27. Barbara Fairhurst says:

I have a copy and it is a gorgeous book – delicious to look at and chock full of recipes that I know will taste terrific, as Adrian Richardson’s food always does. The only problem is deciding what to cook first.

28. Edith Graves says:

Absolutely gorgeous.

29. Ludmilla says:

The image with the sausages ……… I’m hungry. They look delicious! Lovely book, beautiful vintage looking touch!

30. i want, no NEED this book. where can you get it online? i can’t seem to find it to pre-order. thanks!

31. Beth Herzig says:

Where can we buy it online? Anyone know??

32. Book info says:

Currently you can order The Good Life from the following sites:

33. B.CLUNESS says:

well done Mary and Ellie .xThe book is beautiful,I know how hard you both worked on it. You should both be happy with the result,it’s lovely . Well done Macmillans and everyone involved