sneak peek: laura terp hansen

I never tire of peeking at Scandinavian-styled homes. There’s always that tacit acknowledgement of the importance of light and color in the big windows, white walls and bright accent pieces. Stella magazine founder Laura Terp Hansen lives in this Copenhagen apartment with her boyfriend and architect, Jesper Roth, who added a second floor and built a roof terrace when he remodeled the flat four years ago. The light gray floors and white walls provide a clean backdrop for the couple’s colorful accessories, which are accented by bright wallpaper. It feels like the perfect space to wait out the long, cold Nordic winter. Thanks, Laura & Jesper! — Amy A.

Image above: The dining room table is from Hay. The pink pendant lamp is from Kartell; chairs were designed by Arne Jacobsen. We chose the wallpaper to give the room a warm and cozy feeling.

Image above: The kitchen is designed by Jesper. He is an architect. It’s the room where we spend the most time. The lamps over the sink are called Topan and designed by Verner Panton.

The rest of Laura’s sneak peek continues after the jump…

Image above: We hung a lot of art to give the wall some personality. The pictures, art pieces and photographs are bought on trips or [are] gifts from friends or old postcards found at flea markets. The [rug] is from Hay; I love the colors.

Image above: The wallpaper is one of my favorites. I love the pink flamingos. (It’s from Cole and Son.) The bed cover is from Hay, the pillow from Grønlykke and the bed table is from Componibili modular units designed for Kartell.

Image above: Jesper has a huge record collection, so he built this furniture for his records and record player. I collect nice sleeves that I find at flea markets — some records I buy just for their great cover art. My favorite record is Miles Davis Kind of Blue. You can listen to it again and again.

Image above: Vases from flea markets and from my grandmother.

Image above: The wallpaper is from Timorous Beasties. It is a toile wallpaper with a twist. You think it is old-fashioned motives at first look, but then when you look at it closer, it shows people doing hip-hop and skate boarding. I like things with a twist and humor. The lamp is from Bestlite and pillows from Ikea and Anne Nowak.

Image above: The old leather couch and the lamp are flea market finds from the ’60s. The pillows and the knitted blanket are bought at flea markets. The clear shelf is from Hay. The picture is made by Stine Maria Aalykke.

Image above: We love to spend time on the roof terrace under the blue sky and enjoy being surrounded by flowers and green plants in the middle of the city. The furniture is from Fermob, and the pillows are from H&M home. The teapot and cups are from Lisa Grue.

1. Rachel says:

What a lovely home! Those pillows make the rooftop terrace look incredibly inviting; that would probably be my favorite place to spend time as well.

2. Gorgeous! Loving those pillows and knitted blankets!

3. Bev Weidner says:

Dear MOTHER, I love that house.

I’m sure there’s room for me, yes?

4. Nikole says:

I love the perfect balance of cozy and minimalism.

5. Love the pops of color here and there.

6. jennifer in sf says:

So… are Laura and Jesper interested in adopting a 30-something American? Maybe? Ahem. I mean I love their apartment. Seriously.

7. annie says:

i never tire of seeing homes like this either- simple, modern, bright and lovely. always love the white with pops of color. they even made pink look damn cool.

8. Meryem Anedam says:

I love Scandinavian design , its just Awesome.

9. Maggie says:

wow, I love everything about this house. the space, the natural light, the colors, the prints and my absolute favourite : the felt rug.

10. Andrea says:

Great space – and nice gutter detail on the balcony! Is that custom made or common in Copenhagen? Is that a weird thing to notice? :) Colors are wonderful.

11. What a wonderful, bright home! Really like all the colour…

12. Katie says:

Love the framed picture in the second to last image! xo

13. Hannah says:

OH WALLPAPER! So lovely

14. pimientoconalas says:

like a rainbow!

15. Donna says:

Love the use of wallpaper!

16. The rug, the wall paper, the graphic art….HEAVEN!

17. Now all I can think about, is that wallpaper and pendant light, in first image, and the flamingo wallpaper. Want it. Really, a fantastic home!

18. Beauitful sense of space and light! Loving the wallpapers.

19. kara rane says:

hi Laura~
    pink flamingos! love your sense of humor. keep collecting beautiful art and living well.

20. christiana says:

LOVE! Beautiful, colorful accents with lots of black and white – my favorite style of decor. Really lovely home!

21. Heidii says:

Love the use of different wallpapers in every room. Nice!

22. Hayley D says:

So freaking in love with this home! I’m captured by it. Simplistic beauty, bright balanced colouring, total harmony, definitely one of my favs!!!!

23. Zsa Zsa says:

Wow, white walls and bright accent pieces always blow me away! This home is so beautiful. I’d love to live here!

24. moshr00m says:

lovely space. anyhow does anyone knows where to get that rocking chair?!

25. Maddy says:

I love the wallpaper in the first picture!!! Any idea where it’s from?

26. teresita says:

Precioso!!! So beautiful!! I’m taking notes of some things!

27. Natalie says:

Love the splashes of colour! Beautiful.

28. Kelly says:

Wow I love this! But sadly all these pieces are outside my budget (although it doesn’t stop me coveting the VP pendant lights in the kitchen!). Need to marry a rich man!

29. Love your space! The kitchen is different, in a great way. I love the rug under the Eames rocker too.

30. Rachel says:

The pops of colour from the textiles really make the space, and to me, it means it’s inhabitants must be warm and fun people!

31. andrea greco says:

Inspiring space! I love the modern aesthetic with the feminine touches. Nice work!

32. Sila says:

So nice, cheerful and inviting!