sneak peek: enrique arellano + libia moreno

Enrique Arellano and Libia Moreno have filled their Mexico City home with humor. From the tombstone sink to the bathroom fixtures made from garden faucets, this couple doesn’t take itself too seriously. During the day, Enrique works as a freelance designer, and Libia sells and designs traditional Mexican textiles and crafts. But on the weekends, they hit the flea markets for design inspiration and home furnishings — 95% of the objects in their home are vintage finds. And although they’ve only lived in the apartment for a year, they’ve already infused it with history. — Amy A.

Image above: The bookshelves were left in the apartment by the previous owners; we didn’t like them at the beginning, but we found a different way to use them, and it gives the bedroom an interesting look and makes it cozy. We like plain white linen for the bed, and the cushions are from my shop. They are hand embroidery by Chamulas women, and they are inspired by the blouses they use.

Image above: This space has three of my favorite things: the sofas (found on Mercado Libre, which is similar to eBay); the lamp, which was found at the house of a furniture salesman and needed to be completely rewired; and last but not least, our dog Oli. (The house is painted in a light gray and white that we bought at Comex. The gray is called Alpaci.)

Image above: The “Beloved Wife” comes from a joke many friends made about the look and size of the sink because it is made with the same stone used here in Mexico for gravestones and is big enough to fit a person, so we decided that it was funny to be upfront about the connection — particularly since the wife is often found at the sink!

Image above: I love the look of this sink; it is so simple and basic but still looks so pretty.

Image above: These two objects have always been around the house. The painting was a flea-market find, and we were drawn to the unusually long rectangular shape. The sign was found on the street in NY. One day, we were moving things around, and the sign ended up on top of the painting, and we said, “Hey it’s like a Banksy!” So we left it.

Image above: We love the way the bright light comes into the studio. But it can sometimes be a little difficult to share the same workspace. Enrique is really organized, and I always have a mess on my desk — papers, notebooks and textiles.

1. Sarah says:

Beautiful! I love that green tile floor.
    Can you tell me where the rugs in the bedroom and living room are from? I’m looking for one for my dining room.

2. Jennifer says:

That kitchen sink is hilarious. They also have a great assortment of chairs in the space, especially the ones in the dining room and in the studio.

3. Elana says:

Definitely a morbid sense of humor with that “beloved wife” sink! Still processing that but otherwise love, as you say, the sense of history you can feel in all the rooms! :)

4. Like the kitchen, lots of space to cook :-)

Nice site, blog and post, keep up the good work…

5. This home is so funny! That sink is beyond hilarious and I love all the personal details! Amazing!

6. Chedva says:

Amazing. I love their sense of humor and the gorgeous, vintage (?) lighting.

7. hilary says:

Love all the rustic features

8. Jennifer says:

I honestly thought… ‘oh my, they have a Banksy!’, then I read the caption. Clever though!

9. eva says:

You guys have a very lovely home. I would have put in a bit more colour, but it’s also nice and quiet like this. Bathroom is awesome!

10. Heather says:

There is something about this home that really transcends the sum of its parts. The mix of different vintage periods, the dark humor that says we don’t take this too seriously (and I believe reflects the Mexican culture’s healthier relationship with death), the ingenuity with homely materials all contribute. There’s another layer to this one though, perhaps it’s an openness or joy or just a representation of the love in this home. Thank you for this one!

11. Libia Moreno says:

I really like all the comments above, Thank you for the kind words.
    Sarah, the rugs where found at flea markets.

12. elizabeth says:

i heart it! thank you for sharing!

is that an actual clock (11:22)?! if so where can i get one like that? maybe wishful request, but it is so cool.

13. Janette says:

I love the emergency axe in the kitchen…

14. Rommy González says:

Me encanta, que trabajo impecable.. yo la compraría hoy! divina.

15. Meg says:

I love this house, stylish and fun without being pretentious. You’ve given me some great ideas for my new flat. Thanks for sharing.

16. Liz says:

I was so pleasantly surprised to find that your dog looks exactly like my dog! She is a rescue and we have never known exactly what she is. I’ve never seen another one like her until today. Could you kindly tell me what breed Oli is?

17. I’m in love with this kitchen! It’s soooooo stunning ;)

18. Leslie says:

These are so great! Thanks for sharing. The lighting really is amazing!

L

19. marasponger says:

i’m curious o know…. designers and all the arty people always seem to have larg
    e letters on walls, shelves, etc…… wht’s up with that>>.

20. Katie says:

Such fantastic pictures and design!

21. Holly says:

I love that doggy so much! In the “What I love..” pic she looks like she is saying, “Why you not say I’m what you love most in the house?” Ah, she is so cute! Great, happy house. I love the axe in the kitchen.

22. Elaine says:

The ‘Beloved Wife’ inscription is hilarious. I giggled out loud at that. Why is it in English rather than Spanish, though?

23. The original thought was to engrave it on latin, but not in spanish.
    The problem with latin is that almost anyone in these times catch a word, so we choose english.

Particularly I found english more musical, the words are shorter that many other languages and for graphic proposes is more aesthetic a short sentence than a large one.

24. Arianna Aguayo Navarro says:

I love the dining room lamps, and the white painted table… where did you get them at?

25. bowiechic57 says:

Love the “Wet Paint” sign on the picture. So funny

26. Scott says:

Absolutely stunning! I love the use of the copper and basic plumbing valves to give that “industrial” look for the sinks and shower. I’ve always wanted to do that. It just proves that you don’t need to spend a fortune on fussy plumbing fixtures to get a designer look. Job well done!

27. Libia Moreno says:

LIZ, our dog Oli is also a rescue dog :)
    ELIZABETH, the clock is a just a painting.

28. Jesse Lu says:

Mexico City is my dream town… this home proves it.

29. designstalker says:

I love the kitchen; especially the bare wood shelving and the simplicity of it all. I also like the bed; was this handmade? It looks like crates or pallets. I love the look. This is a very lovely home …. thank you for sharing!

30. silviagruner says:

esta super lindas las fotos en el blog, el departamento tengo el honor de conocerlo y gozarlo con sus duenios Enrique, Libia y Oli

31. Danny says:

The white painted table is fabulous — oddly enough, I bought the same table yesterday at a garage sale in Cambridge, but haven’t painted it yet. I’d love any thoughts on how to do it well — do you like any particular lacquers, etc? Thanks for sharing!

32. HOLLY says:

very stylish and love the bright space!

33. Ambrya says:

The whole house has a romantic feel. It seems so cozy but not overly decorated. I love their master bedroom!

34. noemi says:

Enrique y Libia – – vuestra casita esta preciosa! Al compartir las fotos, habeis hecho que mi dia este un poco mas alegre; gracias! mi familia acaba de mudarse a la gran DF y estoy buscando “flea markets” (se llaman mercados de pulga?); podeis contarnos donde podriamos encontrar unos? me desespero por encontrar unos! un beso, pareja!

35. Libia Moreno says:

Hola Noemi, Bienvenidos a esta enorme ciudad. Los mercados en los cuales podrias encontrar muebles son el mercado de Cuauhtemoc ubicado sobre la calle de Cuauhtemoc los sabados esta en la esquina de la colima por la col. roma, luego el domingo tienes la lagunilla el tianguis sobre reforma a la altura de tlatelolco y tambien te doy los datos de unas amigas que tienen muy buenos muebles.
    Cecilia Tena http://www.decada.com.mx
    Claudia Fernandez, deberas pedirle una cita para ver sus muebles. superminimaxcf@yahoo.com.

Esperamos sea de ayuda.

36. noemi says:

estupendo! gracias Libia, por tu gran ayuda! creo que nos iremos hoy mismo a Cuauhtemoc . . . si nos ves, nos saludas, vale? :)

37. I just love this place! It’s so warm and lovely, especially the kitchen. Great job guys!:)

38. Lady says:

Muy linda cocina!

39. Sony says:

Chicos ese “Banksy” suyo es GENIAL!!!!!!! ;) y su casa es sumamente divina! Espero pronto irme al DF y ver todos esos mercados vintage! :D saludos desde Chihuahua

40. marta turbay says:

los amoooooooo!! que buenos diseños