sneak peek: amanda + dave from gus*

When Amanda Schuler and Dave Podsiadlo of Gus* chose Mimico, an old neighborhood in the West End of Toronto, as the perfect spot to raise a family, they were attracted to its proximity to downtown, the lakefront and the growing new group of professionals revitalizing the area. (Fun fact: The name Mimico is derived from the Mississauga word meaning “abundant with wild pigeons” and refers to the now extinct Passenger Pigeon.) The home has an equally interesting history. In the 1930s, it was a dry goods store. It was turned into a duplex in the 1980s, and Amanda and Dave transformed it into a single-family home. When it comes to decorating, there’s really nothing more helpful than owning your own store and furniture design company — oh, and it doesn’t hurt to have an amazingly handy husband. Thanks, Amanda & Dave! And a big thanks to Jon Isaak for the lovely photos! — Amy A.

Image above: This is our living room where we hang out and play with the kids or watch TV. We had the frosted windows installed. One of the mirrors is from my mom’s old showroom, and the other was found and painted white. Dave made this wood veneer lamp. We have a lot of Gus*Modern designs in the space — the Richmond bi-sectional sofa, the Henry ottoman and the yellow pillow. The faux bois pillow is from Hold it Home. The basket is from West Elm, and the crocheted blanket was made by my Grannie A.

Image above: More Gus*Modern — the Span dining table and chairs. The high chair is from Ella & Elliot, a baby store in Toronto.

See more of Amanda & Dave’s Toronto home after the jump. . .

Image above: My bird collection that is comprised of garage sale finds, antiques and presents from friends and family, and my Herman Miller rocking chair, which was a baby shower gift from my girlfriends.

Image above: This is a picture of the main living area. Dave had the stainless steel island made to cover up white Ikea cabinets. We really like the exposed electrical conduit, which is on a dimmer. Counter stools are Gus* Modern Church stools.

Image above: This is from our store Stylegarage. I planted it with succulents and gravel from a local nursery.

Image above: These are Truss chairs by Gus* in a great green felted wool, and the ladder is from our next-door neighbor (and junk collector!) that Dave painted white.

Image above: This is the basement playroom, where Ricky and Sloane like to hang out. The prints are from a church bazaar down the street that we go to every year. The bench is an old gym bench Dave found at Queen West Antiques.

Image above: The view from the playroom looking up to the kitchen. The bookshelves are Ikea, and the Truss chair is by Gus* Modern.

Image above: Dave made these cage lamps. I like the imperfect look of the knotted black cording.

Image above: Dave made these stairs. We actually had this frosted door installed very recently and wish we did it a long time ago because it lets in so much more light on that side of the house. The pantry shelving is from Ikea, and the wood slats on the left are actually a baby gate that Dave made.

1. the best sneak peak ever!! gorgeous – well done :)

2. Jesselyn says:

Awesome. When do I move in? ;)

3. Beautiful. The light in the place is gorgeous. Alot of love and hard work went into this place. Great job. Loving those green felted chairs!

4. Roger says:

Is that a window that rolls up like a garage door I’m looking at in the photo just below the one of the kitchen?

5. Trent says:

Very nice! I’m patiently awaiting the arrival of my recently ordered Gus Modern Atwood sectional.

6. Lindsay says:

I am inspired. Thank you.

7. Born and raised in T.O. says:

Great job, very simplistic. IKEA shelving, bookcases very economical.
    btw it’s Mimico, west South side of Toronto, glad it’s revitalized, cheapest real estate/fixer uppers around! Close to tracks and expressway.
    Dining area needs some warmth, litl comfort. Would love red cord, any other colour on the lighting. Even chain link rope wld look so cool.
    Sorry to be so critical, know it’s a lot of work when you’ve got kids. Get kids to create a
    beautiful huge canvas on that wall. That room could be so much warmer.
    House/storefront window a bonus, looks super easy to clean :))))

8. Laura says:

I love the use of white framed mirrors in the living room, I have a similar photo frame that I painted white, but the mirrors are a much less obtrusive wall ornament and the white on white wall is so fresh!

9. Amanda says:

Hi Roger! Yes, it’s a garage door….it was the one thing we knew we wanted to do the minute we found the place and it immediately brought the light in…..we had it installed by a small company called Open Sesame. They were great….everyone always asks if its lets in the cold but its sealed very well and the glass is thermal. And yes “Born and Raised”….you are correct, It is Mimico!

10. I love the pops of color. Beautiful and fun

11. I love seeing Toronto homes on D*S! I’m very familiar with Gus and Style Garage – love their pieces!

12. everythingeverywhere says:

btw Style Garage is opening a new location in Vancouver

13. TheRachelSyn says:

I heart Gus! Lovely sneak peek! Can’t wait to get into a bit larger of a place and buy a Sparrow chair & ottoman!

14. Love your bright, modern with industrial touches space! Toronto has one of my favorite interior design vibes, right up there with NY, LA & Chicago! I’ve really been considering painting one of my doors black in my all white space, everytime i see this (& your space is no exception, it looks great).

15. Tara says:

Beautiful! So glad you’re featuring Toronto homes, especially from such a talented couple. I love Gus! :)

16. Kitty says:

As a ex-Torontonian (terribly home sick!), so excited to see a gorgeous modern home of Toronto designer couple!

17. Piper M. says:

I love love loooooove Style Garage! I live right around the corner!

18. Jess says:

Will just mention that the high chair pictured is not just any old one from some baby store in Toronto — it is a modern Scandinavian classic, the Tripp-Trapp chair by Stokke, a standard piece of furniture in many Danish homes.

19. Kristen says:

Would LOVE to see an exterior shot. I own a 100 year old converted edwardian storefront in downtown Toronto, and love to see what others have done to commercial conversions!

20. Courtney Macphee says:

Mimico didn’t look like that when I lived there – love what you have done! Great job.

21. Jacob says:

Great look at the home of two of our favorite Furniture people! Thanks for sharing…. Love it! Some of the best application of the Gus* Modern furniture I’ve seen. Go Figure!

22. Nicole says:

I love your space and am envious of your beautiful basement. Do you mind sharing what white paint you used? I’m trying to pick one and the choices are weighing me down! Thanks!

23. sarah says:

seriously great sneak

24. Amanda says:

Hi Nicole! The paint is behr ultra pure white. Hope that helps!

25. I love the mirrors,

beautiful work

26. eva says:

what a cool, playful space. love the tiles in the kitchen and the overall industrial feel to it.

27. ande says:

i love the desk! how’d you do that???

28. beautiful space! I love the kids play room and the succulent planter…lovely!

29. Feather+Wind says:

The cage lamps are brilliant.

30. Andrea says:

I’m dying to know where the cow-print desk chair is from! Love the space, you all did an amazing job! :)

31. meagan says:

I somehow missed this house tour in August! I live super close to Mimico and love seeing a young family take a house there and make it BEAUTIFUL! Way to go guys!

32. Robbin says:

I grew up in Mimico! Wow, the design aesthetic has really evolved! ;-)

33. Amanda says:

Ande, the desk is just two simple filing cabinets from Staples with cedar boards running across them. Andrea, the desk chair is a prototype that never went into production. Basically our Gus* thompson chair with a custom seat and back. Thanks for the comments!!!

34. Charlotte says:

HI. Love the desk picture. I wanna do something similar at my place. Can you let us know the size and the width of the cedar planks? Also how do you keep them together. So cool! Thanks.

35. Suzanne says:

Where is the shelving from? With the bird collection. Looking for similar simple wood shelving to install. Thanks!