porcelain vases at leif

When I first started D*S back in 2004, one of the first trends I covered was the casting of disposable container/items in porcelain. From Lorena Barrezueta’s porcelain take-out containers and Jason Miller’s ceramic cupcakes to Miri Mizrahi’s porcelain styrofoam cups, it felt like everyone in Brooklyn (circa 2004) was casting something disposable in a more permanent material. What started as a localized trend is now happening across the world and I’m always happy to see people experimenting with objects and materials that are normally treated as everyday, cheap or disposable. This new series of vases at Leif was created by collecting trash from the streets of Holland and then casting it in porcelain. I love the color palette they chose (the three above are in my favorite color palette du jour) and the matte finish- it’s nice to see people embracing matte finishes a bit more these days. There are a wide range of shapes to choose from, with pricing from $16-$38. Click here to check out the full collection at Leif. xo, grace

1. Rachel Tatem says:

I love the vibrancy!

2. Lily says:

Ooh, thanks for that, my boyfriend hates shiny glazes, good to know matt is coming back!

3. Mickey says:

Hey, this is a cool idea and so pleasing too.
    Remembering my jewelry days in collage centrifuge casting spiders, stink bugs and stick bugs from their natural state into brass, nickel and silver.

Just lovely.

4. Jennifer says:

Those are darling. I also like the various pastels.

5. These are cool! It reminds me of a photograph of “masks” which when you look closer is actually the tops of gas tanks.. I wish I remembered the artist!

6. Allie J says:

This is great to see! I’m trying to plan a budget wedding, and so lately I’ve been following a tip I found in a magazine to spray paint shapely glass jars to a matte white making them look like porcelain.

I was worried that my fake porcelain would still look too much like the jars they actually are, but if this trend continues my centerpieces could end up quite fashionable!

(I’m also experimenting mixing the porcelain look with a technique you featured a bit ago making glass jars into Moroccan style lanterns. If it comes out well I’ll send you a picture!)

7. gretagreen says:

yes like this too. Holland has a electic cultural not as materalistic or as throw away as us americans. I like the idea of painting inside glass cointiners with satin paint looks similar to these just make sure they dry for three days? Cynthia

8. Bob says:

These are very interesting. I am excited to see if it catches on and these start popping up everywhere.

9. ana isabel says:

These are so pretty. I really like that desaturated pastel colour palette.

10. If this is what does it for you, why not just reuse your old dish detergent bottle? It’s more economical, and reusing the material makes it greener. I do not find these to be in any way attractive, but then again I am not a big fan of kitsch.

1. Grace Bonney says:

calluna

i don’t see this as kitsch, but rather a statement about the idea of disposable items versus permanent ones. i also don’t think they’re meaning to make a statement about being green. i use plastic containers and jars as vases all the time, but i like to have more than a few options, and these (for me at least) are another fun choice.

grace

11. Natalia says:

I absolute L O V E your blog! This idea is astonishing, it actually looks pretty good! It’s amazing how our garbage could look so good if creativity is at work…
    Thanks for sharing :)

12. Ambrya says:

I love this idea and the result is absolutely beautiful! What a great way to reuse an otherwise useless item! Thank you for sharing!

13. Rachel says:

This trend goes back a number of years in Brooklyn. I have a crinkly brown paper bag made of porcelain that was given to me as a gift sometime in the mid 90’s from Park Slope store the Clay Pot that’s been my favorite desk item for over a decade!

14. Irene says:

I really like this trend, though I believe the original idea belongs to italian artist Michele Provinciali, who in 1986 created a collection of ceramic vases casted from plastic bottles found on the beach. See name link for pictures.

15. Andrea says:

These are beautiful, what a lovely idea.

16. eva says:

Pols Potten in Amsterdam (www.polspotten.nl) has been selling these kind of vases for years. They were white and made of glossy porcelain. Nice, although I do think they work best in a ‘minimalised’ interior.